Turkey Ginger Leek Soup

KrisB

Ten Pointer
This is my Creole friend's own recipe that he fixes to use up leftover chicken broth after he has made some jambalaya. The only change I made is I substituted pieces of cooked turkey for the pieces of cooked chicken. I also didn't have spinach or ripe avocados on hand, so I made this without them, but it was still awesome! Hoping this will be a practice run for when I can hopefully fix it in the spring with wild turkey!

Here is his original recipe. He fixes it in the old way, just eyeballing everything, so there are no exact quantities for most of it. I used 1 leek, 1 bunch of green onions, and some pieces I cut from a turkey leg and that was enough for 2 people.

Ingredients:

Leftover chicken broth (made by boiling chicken in a pot and saving the water from it)
Water (1 part chicken broth to 5 parts water)
Powdered ginger
Pepper
Leeks
Green onions
Cooked chicken pieces
Spinach
Cooked brown rice
Avocadoes
A squeeze of lemon

Directions:

Put the leftover chicken broth and water in a pot (1 part chicken broth to 5 parts water). Add pepper and powdered ginger to taste. Add chopped leeks, chopped green onions, and cooked chicken pieces. Boil (I did a gentle boil). Add more water if needed (I did not do this since the soup was so flavorful and I didn't want to dilute it). Taste and add pepper or powdered ginger if you like until it tastes good to you.

There will be tiny flecks of oil on the surface as you cook it, which is a good sign. You don't want too much oil. The leeks and green onions will soften as they cook.

When done, scoop cooked brown rice into a bowl. Then put a layer of raw/fresh spinach on top. Then ladle soup into bowl. The spinach will cook in the hot soup. To finish, add sliced avocado on top and a squeeze of lemon.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_20201124_180150964.jpg
    IMG_20201124_180150964.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: