Turkey for Thanksgiving wild or store bought?

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Or maybe some of ya's raised your own. I've never had wild turkey (the bird kind) on Thanksgiving. We pretty much eat them when we get them. Now that I hunt some in VA the option is there with a 2 day Thanksgiving season. Turkeys are hit or miss on my place besides we are staying home. Maybe a wild one for Christmas VA has some more opportunities to bag a bird in Dec and Jan so will see.

Just my wife and I so I picked up a small bird to cook. 39cents a lb at publics seemed to good to be true. I'm hearing some wild prices for birds this year (thanks Mr. Putin)

I read this story from the west coast by outdoor writter trying to figure out what to have ....
.I can't imagine $90 for a domestic bird....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
my Wife would merely say "are you crazy?" if I offered up a wild turkey (bird) for her to cook for thanksgiving,,,
though she WOULD cook me one, along with the fat ol' butterball for her and the girls,,

this year, there is a turducken to cook (along with the butterball),,,, grandsons are looking forward to it, though I doubt they eat much of it but they sure want to see them three birds stuffed together!

of course Wife did say "you cooking that outside?",,, and of course I said yes:mosh:
:party:

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Wild turkeys dont last long enough after they are killed. Every one I kill never makes it to the freezer. Eating them for me closes the whole circle of the hunt. This year Im smoking one and frying 2 plus a ham, all store bought.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I wouldn't even try to cook a whole wild turkey for Thanksgiving. I used to like to smoke a turkey. Still do but,,,,, for Thanksgiving fried is where it's at !👍

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Most years store bought I'm bout only one that eats wild turkey here I have few times fried me up some wild tenders on Thanksgiving or Christmas. As far as price food lion 29cents pound got 3 of em could only get 1 at time but crazy cheap eat one this week at Christmas then during winter.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Years ago, my 1st attempt @ smoking a whole Wild Turkey for Thanksgiving I petrified it. Can't remember if we had a backup or not. I just remember the legs were dry as leather, kind of like jerky. I might try it again if a store bought 20# Turkey was $80 though. Have a Happy Thanksgiving y'all!