Turkey feathers

huntersteve

Was wondering if anybody on here splits and grinds there own feathers.....I have 18-20 sets of wings...I have clipped them off the wings...they are seperated out LW-primary-secondary...RW-primary secondary....about 850-900 feathers total...if I could find someone to split/grind the RW's...I would give them the LW's as a trade....

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Try Matt Gundock in Ohio. Turkey Flight Traditional. Goes by magnus on this site http://www.traditionalarcherysociety.com/ and this one www.tradgang.com

He has a full time job and not as much time to work on feathers as he used to, so be patient. I know of no one else. I am just starting to do my own and prefer RW over left also. I have no equipment to do mass quantities. All you really need is a benchtop belt sander and a pair of vise grips with long flat plates welded to them and grind at right angles to the feathers so the grind is flat and sits well on the arrow shaft.

Wear a breather mask. A good quality filter mask. Not the pollen dust masks. The feather quills have a chemical in them that if inhaled can cause serious health problems.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There's another guy too, goes by stykzzz, on Leatherwall. Check the Monthly Swap thread, you'll always find him there. He'll do one side for the other too...

obx

Email Trueflight. They have done them for me in the past. I don't know if they still offer this service. They would do them only certain times of the year and only 50 per person per year.I would send 50 and my wife would send 50. After a few years I had and still have a good supply. Always used 2 barred and a trueflight colored :donk:donk:donk:donk feather.