Turkey Feather Mount

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Hoping for my first Turkey this year. Really want to do a tail feather mount, what do you guys recommend? I want to do this myself for sure.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Watch couple YouTube videos its really simple I usually get my plaques from Mackenzie but you can find them most any where even Wal-Mart

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Cut it off and spread it out on a piece of plywood held in place with pins .Put salt and or borax on meaty part to dry for a couple of months in a cool dry place . Pick a place where mice and insects can not get to it. Mount on a nice board and you are done.

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Those election signs work great for a board to pin the fan also. Nice and light and easy to stick the pins in and adjust it without straining an o-ring. I try to keep a few around for that purpose and they also make good target stands if you can get the metal wire stand with it đź‘Ť

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
$14 hs strut courtesy amazon.

b5a752cbdb37ac6340ce0015b8f44240.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
IMG_4412.JPG

Youtube will help tremendously.

Beard: careful, beards can be brittle, rubber band it near the skin but still on the beard. Pinch the base and pull slightly cutting skin around the base. You can trim the excess later as it dries. I stick it in 30,000 Mule Train and lay it flat.

Tail prep: I take the lower back feathers along with the tail. I don't like the fuzzy hair look. I use the back feathers to cover. Take more than you think you need. You can always throw the extra away.

I separate the lower back feathers and tail feathers. I take a scaplel and cut as much meat and skin off as I can. I cut the core off while making sure quills stay intact. I liberally apply 30,000 Mule Train to the base of the fan. Use pins to position the fan on cardboard, I slide pins next to each feather to retain shape as it dries. I'll put something sturdy but not extremely heavy on the quills to keep it from bowing when drying. I will lightly sprinkle Mule Train on the feathers.

The lower back feathers get cleaned up as well and Mule Train before laying flat. I lay these feathers much like a fan sandwiched between cardboard with some weight, again doesn't need much.

Find a plaque you like while it's drying for 2-3 weeks minimum. I test fit before cutting excess and gluing (gel). The amount of feathers might push the plaque apart so you might have to screw the plates together from the back. You will likely have to trim feathers to fit, the cap will hide the ugly part.

Obviously you can deck it out with whatever suits you. I have my spurs I just never mounted it to this display.

IMG_4414.JPG