Turkey decline

ol bob

Six Pointer
Can't speak for the whole state but were I live over 1/2 of the private land owners will not let you hunt,so regardless of when the season opens or closes 1/2 of the turkeys are not hunted. But 100% of the turkeys are hunted by predators 24 Hrs a day 365 days a year public and private. I would say that crows kill more turkeys by destorying nests than all the hunters, and they get all the eggs male and female. Stop and think how many predators are hunting all day every day, its time to start thinning them out and our turkey will start coming back.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I recall when there were no turkeys, just predators. They seem to do quite well by just getting thrown out of the back of a truck on one of the old restoration areas. Like many species that have an empty niche to fill, their numbers increase rapidly until all suitable habitats are filled. After that their populations stabilize at a certain level with deviations in overall numbers of individuals as environmental conditions change at the local level.

ol bob

Six Pointer
Its not just crows, also coons, foxes, coyotes, dogs, and even snakes. and even tho they were here before the turkeys there was a learning curve until they got good at it.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Its not just crows, also coons, foxes, coyotes, dogs, and even snakes. and even tho they were here before the turkeys there was a learning curve until they got good at it.

So the predators got smart and the turkeys remained stupid? I would bet good money that in areas where predation is high then nesting and brood habitat is low.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We went from having 0 birds around my place here in Harnett county in 1998 when the season opened up to now we have plenty of birds despite a very dominant bobcat and coyote population.
I have more birds around here than I do in my part of Rockingham county which has been in the top 5 for Turkey hunting for as long as I can remember.
If you are not seeing birds , you can blame predators, hunting pressure and lack of quality habitat and brood range.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We went from having 0 birds around my place here in Harnett county in 1998 when the season opened up to now we have plenty of birds despite a very dominant bobcat and coyote population.
I have more birds around here than I do in my part of Rockingham county which has been in the top 5 for Turkey hunting for as long as I can remember.
If you are not seeing birds , you can blame predators, hunting pressure and lack of quality habitat and brood range.

Yeah I about wrecked the truck a couple years ago on Old stage outside of Erwin, when a flock popped up out of the ditch..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
The predators that do the most damage can't be taken out...legally 😉
There was a predator or two I'd like to have taken out or at least scared to death but jail don't suit me. But in seriousness turkeys are up in 3/4 the state Unfortunaly just not where hunt. Us western hunters didn't do much help break that record that was alk east of hwy 18.