TSS #9's with Winchester 34 .410

SCnative

Spike
I know in the big TSS thread there were a few of us that were going to try it in the .410. My intent was to have a good turkey gun with low weight and recoil for my kids. I hit the paper with it earlier this week (pics/pellet counts later).....

10 yds - great as in not too tight like you get with a typical load with turkey choke. One ragged hole with plenty of outliers to help a near miss. Maybe the outliers are from the bottom of the tall column that's inherent with a .410.
20 yds - good. The kind of pattern that will definitely kill a bird, but I'd expect at 30-35 with the 12g/turkey choke. This distance seem optimal.
30 yds - just OK.

At $5/shell, I didn't go farther than that, but I did finish the box with two more 30yd shots with the same result. Just refining some point of aim/point of impact issues with the old gun.

I read an article which was a .410 TSS review using an old Rem 870 pump .410 and a Win 34 single shot like mine. The 870 was much better to the point that he quit with the 34. I can't find that link at the moment.

Just curious, but did any of you Win 34 owners ever get around to trying it?

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No help with the Winchester 34

The federal and apex loads hold an acceptable killing pattern out to 40 with a mossberg 500 fixed full choke. I didn’t try any further, I will limit shots to 30 yards max with that setup but it should kill at 40 if distance was misjudged.

How was the pattern at 30?

SCnative

Spike
Correction, Winchester 37! Sorry about that. Mine's just like the one lasttombstone has pictured. Here's the pics of the patterns. The 30 is better than I remembered. The last two 30yd shots aren't pictured, but they weren't as good. I was playing with point of aim a bit, but even so they weren't as consistent. I may play some more. Might even take it hunting. I took the 870 this morning. The .410 would have done just as good.....skunked!

Thanks for the input guys.

IMG_1459.jpgIMG_1460.jpgIMG_1462.jpg

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Are you handloading? Have you tried 10’s? A lot of guys carrying 410’s have gone to 10’s and are quitE pleased with the results.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I don't have a fancy turkey picture to post for you. I just use a piece of cardboard but just pulled 2 of my old boards from last year with #9 TSS. 30 yds. had 136 hits in a 10 inch and 138 in a 20 inch for a total of 274. at 50 yds., just for fun, I had 62 hits in the 10 inch circle. For what it's worth.
I can kill cardboard but can't find a turkey to try it on so far this year.

SCnative

Spike
Not great but, looks like 5 to the spine, 4 more at the edge of it, and 2 in the brain ... dead bird!
That's what I was thinking!

Are you handloading? Have you tried 10’s? A lot of guys carrying 410’s have gone to 10’s and are quitE pleased with the results.
No, not hand loading. This is Winchester TSS. I'd be interested to try that.

I don't have a fancy turkey picture to post for you. I just use a piece of cardboard but just pulled 2 of my old boards from last year with #9 TSS. 30 yds. had 136 hits in a 10 inch and 138 in a 20 inch for a total of 274. at 50 yds., just for fun, I had 62 hits in the 10 inch circle. For what it's worth.
I can kill cardboard but can't find a turkey to try it on so far this year.
I'd rather have used cardboard, but printed these in a hurry and didn't have any on hand. Sounds like yours is throwing a tight pattern. Are they handloads?

SCnative

Spike
Who's the TSS guru? If he's still doing it, I'd rather buy from him than "the man". Even for my regular 12ga stuff.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
On the advice of and with the help of Lasttombstone I traded in my 12 gauge H&R that shot 3 1/2 inch shells for a Savage .410. And I have taken a couple of toms around the 30 yard range. And my repaired rotator cuff is much happier. I was using the tss on one of them but the other was taken with Federal premium not tss. I just bought some of Federals tss . 410 shells and I'm looking forward to trying them out.