Trying out spring project

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Due to my limit ability to coon hunt multiple nights in a row and the limited spots I now have to hunt close to home; coupled with my absolute love for any hunting that can be done with a dog, I picked up a 10month old semi started treeing
cur pup today.
She has had around 20 squirrel within the last month to herself.
Have her on hand shake trail as long as I need, last thing I said was I'll treat her like family.
So after her bath, total health check<by me>, checking to see if she was chain broke. It was time to come in rinse her feet and get started to be buddies.....
We will get started on the woods part of trail on Friday at the Farm but so far she's A OK....
No puking or crapping in box on 1.25 he ride home today so that's a plus!
555a34a9ce83b7e5e38512df03c81788.jpg
9913e32ddc570449e1ab66dc8c71f5cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Nice looking pup ! Sounds like you’re in the same boat as I’m in. Coon hunting multiple nights in a row isn’t in the cards for me. No more spots than I have around my house I couldn’t do it anyways.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Nice looking pup ! Sounds like you’re in the same boat as I’m in. Coon hunting multiple nights in a row isn’t in the cards for me. No more spots than I have around my house I couldn’t do it anyways.
Yep as much as I hate to admit it, coon hunting is slowly passing me by.... but I have had couple decent squirrel dogs in past definitely nothing special. Hoping this little female fills the whole outside of bear season for me.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I am slowly coming to terms with the realization it might soon be a thing of the last for me too. No time and limited number of spots within a decent distance to hunt on a regular basis.

Belews Boy

Six Pointer
Nice looking pup. I too have about left nite time hunting. Go with a buddy when want to go, but love the squirrel dogs. I am hunting treeing cur now also. How is she breed?

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Stock is from Soth Carolina in Camden called Tree Rat.
Sire is a dog named Cannon - from what I'm told he is exceptional
Dam is a combo dog named Dottie - told she is a good squirrel dog but a better coon dog.
We will se what this pup does in couple hours..... Maybe nothing, if not I'll move to another one....

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
This morning she wasn't impressive. Stayed with her head on ground to much trailing around and didn't hunt fast enough for me. Average ranging from 75 to 150 yrds. But being only 10 months old it is easy to get over critical. She is a great Handel as a pup. And very good as a buddy. I really need one that just needs hunted not trained so it's not looking good on her right now. But 2 full days left to the weekend!!! Head I g back out to walk my neighbors far this afternoon...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know how much cur she has in her but many times they have to have a get "acquainted" period with their new owner before they will do much. I had in GrCh and SpGrSqCh here that if someone strange took them away from here and took them out they most likely would look at them like they had lost their mind. The female when I was pleasure hunting her if she was treed and it was a split tree and I went with someone else to their dogs tree and someone strange went to her tree they used to laugh and say when they would walk up she would look around and see if it was me. Then she would go back to treeing but keep looking around, if I didn't show up in what I guess she thought was a reasonable amount of time her butt was gone looking for me. If you just left her on the tree and no one went to her she would stay there for hours, even to the next day.

Last edited:

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
She just needs some attention, I was just expecting more from the information I was given. Gonna give her a good solid week with me She is much more comfortable around me today than even Friday. Filled couple feeder around the house so maybe she will show me what she can do then I'll try her on another woods hunt this weekend