Trump and the 500...

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I might have never watched again, either, if he didn’t make it. The only thing I recall about the pre-race was him smiling while holdings his girls.

Hear hear! Thank God.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Now that our hearts are out of our throats, what did y'all think?

I, once again, hated the race and am glad I did not attend (TWICE :mad:) even though I was close by. It's the same thing now at these 2 tracks. Carbs or not, plates or not, it's still the same ole mostly follow the leader, then wait for the big one. Which, is usually caused by on line getting a run, another driver doesn't want to be left out, drops up or down to "block" and the guy with the run has to decide to bump/slam draft (probably not as easy as it seems on TV) or lift. NOT a great recipe late in the race!

I think Logano should be banned from the plate tracks, lol.

I would like to see a HUGE, DRASTIC change in these tracks to make the racing more entertaining for MOST of the race, and less focus on "waiting for the big one (or 3)".

You could move the fans back 40 rows, have a runoff area, and still have a thrilling in person experience. But that would cost $ Millions, so we'll never see it happen I guess.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Look on the bright side NCSt88Guy....you didn't have to watch yet another Earnhardt victory. :)

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I wonder how much it cost Daytona to remove all those back straight grandstands? And what did they do with them. Your idea of moving the fans back has merit. They could put the back straight stands back in to make up for the lost seats.

Now, the cause of this cluster............... really. Trying to regulate speeds so folks don't go flying into the stands. Regulate speeds so the cars don't take off like an airplane on the backstretch. They have changed the aerodynamics of the cars trying to keep them on the ground and make them handle and have created a field that can't race.

My solution....... fix the seating so no one is in eminent danger is something happens. The catch fencing seem to be holding the cars back for the most part. They are no longer "stock cars" so lets not worry about what is available from the manufacturer. Let them build an engine as big as they want. They already have wings on the cars so give them bigger wings to keep the cars on the ground. Get rid of the boxy aero that is designed to slow them down and lets go racing.

People will always complain no matter which way it goes. That's just people. Me, I never had a problem with Richard winning by a couple of laps nor Bill coming back from laps down to win. At least there was racing going on all through the field the whole time. It wasn't watching a train go by every 50 seconds or so. Yeah, it is easier for the TV network to cover what is happening but it sure isn't racing. I'll still watch it because it is pretty much all I have and it sure beats the ball sports for me.