Truck Wheel Question

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a 1997 k1500 Chevy and it needs new tires. Factory rims are functionally fine. Cosmetically there are some scratches/scrapes, center covers are fatigued and have the tiny cracks all over them. I used to polish every thing up, but now they don’t really polish anymore.

My options are to acid wash the wheels and try cleaning them up again, get one of the wheel repair folks to do it, switch to an aftermarket or my final option would be to change to a newer factory wheel.

Plenty of brand new wheels and tires that have less than 50 miles on them to be found. Can switch back to a 16”, 17”, 18”, 20”.....rare but even a few 22” factory sets.

In this scenario, anyone know what years will fit? I’ve researched but not seeing any exact answers.

Hoss

Eight Pointer
I have a 1997 k1500 Chevy and it needs new tires. Factory rims are functionally fine. Cosmetically there are some scratches/scrapes, center covers are fatigued and have the tiny cracks all over them. I used to polish every thing up, but now they don’t really polish anymore.

My options are to acid wash the wheels and try cleaning them up again, get one of the wheel repair folks to do it, switch to an aftermarket or my final option would be to change to a newer factory wheel.

Plenty of brand new wheels and tires that have less than 50 miles on them to be found. Can switch back to a 16”, 17”, 18”, 20”.....rare but even a few 22” factory sets.

In this scenario, anyone know what years will fit? I’ve researched but not seeing any exact answers.
Try googling your question. I did on my 95 Tacoma and got a whole list. Good luck.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just sooooo much information. Didn’t know if one of the folks on here had already run into this and knew any information.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
For the most part (prettymuch all) GM stuck with 6x5.5 wheels so you should be good with whatever you find if it came off a chevy/gmc truck that is 6 lug

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That’s what I am thinking. Didn’t know if hub issues or other concerns may come into play.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thinking about something like this. Comes with new factory tires....for less money than I can buy a new set of tires.

Attachments

• 0957C575-C2AC-4852-9028-6FA212941DBF.jpeg
    0957C575-C2AC-4852-9028-6FA212941DBF.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 22

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They'll fit no worries. I put 2006 wheels on a 1993 and put 2018 wheels on a 2002. I don't like anything over 18" on a truck. It's a personal thing, I like some sidewall.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For the most part (prettymuch all) GM stuck with 6x5.5 wheels so you should be good with whatever you find if it came off a chevy/gmc truck that is 6 lug
New dodge 4X4 (1/2 ton), Nissan and Toyota is that same pattern also. What you will run into is depending on offset is clearances on rotor and calipers though.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There's a break on the GM 8-lug patterns somewhere around 2013. Whenever they went to the LML Duramax instead of the LMM duramax they changed the bolt pattern a little bit.

Not sure on the 1/2 ton 6 lug, but that's the kind of thing to look out for. sometimes they change whenever the next generation in the model line up changes. Also look at backspacing on wheels, although if you go factory wheels to factory wheels that should be less of an issue.