Truck thoughts?

double

Twelve Pointer
That said....I wouldn't buy any brand new truck. I'd be more than content with a slightly used one. Let someone else absorb that $20k difference in sticker price.

Dave Ramsey says not to buy new unless you have a million dollars in net worth. I have followed that advise and it's like making $20k in one day!

Dave Ramsey hasn’t priced a new or used truck lately. Used trucks are holding exceptional value these days. New Silverado LTs currently have between 10-12k in rebates. So a new $48k truck sales for 36-37. Go price a two year old truck with 30k miles on it. You will be within $5 of a brand new one with full warranty.

Also I sell them everyday. If you are in central NC or don’t mind driving let me know. New Chevy’s and used just about everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Dave Ramsey hasn’t priced a new or used truck lately. Used trucks are holding exceptional value these days. New Silverado LTs currently have between 10-12k in rebates. So a new $48k truck sales for 36-37. Go price a two year old truck with 30k miles on it. You will be within $5 of a brand new one with full warranty.

Also I sell them everyday. If you are in central NC or don’t mind driving let me know. New Chevy’s and used just about everything else.

Your reach-around must be on point, because your internet is terrible.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Huge Dave Ramsey fan and whatever I get will be paid for in cash, no financing a depreciating asset! We’ve gotten rid of all debt including the house. No way am I getting back into debt for a vehicle.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I had a 2007 Chevy 1500 Classic (2006 body style) and I miss it. Sold it to my brother. I think it’s arounf 100k miles right now and never an issue. My Ram 1500 is nice, around 62k miles. Does have some minor electrical quirks occasionally, but functionally everything has been fine so far. Time will tell.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Love my Colorado, but I suspect it may be a bit small if you need a big back seat. However, keep in mind that I'm a big guy, need to loose a few pounds and 6'1. I can ride in the backseat for short trips no problem. When me and the gal go out, we can load up our stuff and at the time two dogs comfortably. We haven't tried with all three since getting the puppy, though. Just have to pack it right. When I go hunting, I have plenty of space for all my gear. I also have weatherproof bins that I load up in the bed, too. I'm very impressed with Chevy so far. Not a fan of the new body style of the Silverado, though.

I loved my Ram from 2010 - 2014. Ran like a champ and only ever needed oil changes. It was the 2wd V6, but I got it through some nasty stuff my 2wd Cherokee couldn't do. However, I've found most Chrysler service centers to be the pits (ymmv). They also nickel and dime you. Won't be going back to a Chrysler vehicle for the foreseeable future.

F-150's are amazing. I got to drive them before they were released to the general public and loved, loved, loved the ride of the truck. The new refresh look is great. However, the price for those trucks is high. Ford is pretty proud of them. The 2.7 is supposed to be a great engine.

Tundra's are great trucks, but old. The new body style and engine came out in 2007 with very little changes over the years (typical Toyota headlight changes). Gas mileage is horrible on them, with many reports of 15-17. But, something to be said about the durability they offer. And, body style that old means parts will be easy to come by if ever needed.

All that said, if money wasn't an issue and I needed more truck, I'd probably get either the GMC Sierra or F-150, with the GMC out front. The F-150 would have to be a heck of a deal.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dave Ramsey says not to buy new unless you have a million dollars in net worth. I have followed that advise and it's like making $20k in one day!

Dave Ramsey hasn't priced 2 yr.-old 4x4 trucks recently. I usually prefer to buy 2-3 yrs old with 20-45,000 mi. and get the discount, but there are times when in certain markets new makes more sense than used. If you are buying a vehicle with more usable life and a longer warranty, for only a couple thousand more, that's a good deal. Though I prefer used, I have bought 2 new vehicles in my life for just that reason.

His strategies are great for changing how you think about money, but they don't fit every situation.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Even consumer advocate Clark Howard (the stingiest man alive) has admitted that this may be one of the few times in history that buying certain vehicles new instead of used can make good sense...

If you have access to supplier or employee pricing, plus discounts, plus cash rebates, you can easily buy a new truck for less than a lightly used one. And nobody has driven it like an idiot for the first 30K miles...

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
^^^^^not to mention you can usually get a lot better interest rate on new versus used.
Or no interest as I have got in the past or just pay cash.
It is very hard to do sometimes but better in the long run. Got a new boat this year. Like all toys I pay cash. Hard to do but when you cut that check it is a good feeling to know you own it.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
i worked at the Ford plant where they make the truck, one of our functions was to remove the waste and scrap during launch, the method we used for the original truck to help reduce the size of the truck body had been done for years, open doors, and crush with a large heavy rack. I witnessed the same method on the aluminum body and it couldn't be done. Same guys doing the job, same method for years and we couldn't replicate the same results - sold me right there on its strength
I have no regrets on my F150, but also didn't get the eco boost, had one of them as a work truck and didn't like the hesitation when i needed to punch it

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I'm a big Dave Ramsey fan, but sometimes his advice to people on car purchases leaves me scratching my head.
Yep
He also is over the top on using a CC.
Some can't handle it but there are a bunch that can and pay it in full every time.
I do it as I have all bills go to the CC and charge items for points or discounts.
One bill per month makes it easy.

equyst

Loving this thread! sub'd
o.png
o.png

Last edited by a moderator:

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I only buy used. It's not necessarily as easy as buying new but done right there is simply no comparison when it comes to money spent. By that I mean 1) I am not in a hurry, 2) I scour craigslist purposefully considering only private sales, 3) look for an original owner that is over 40 and has a story that makes sense (and the truck isn't outfitted with a snorkel). I must add that I an not rigidly brand specific when looking for "the deal" as long as it has my feature requirements. I am also comfortable buying a used truck with between 50 and 100k miles. Maybe that's the important part. A truck should last 250k plus.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've bought two new vehicles, since 2014 (Tacoma and 4Runner). I think I got 1.9% financing on the Tacoma....and I know I got 1.6% on the 4Runner. At those rates, I don't understand why someone would take cash out of somewhere it's yielding better than those rates - to pay on a vehicle. That makes NO sense (to me).

I need to buy a commuter......so, if you have a late(ish) model CR-V (don't know why....I just want one), let me know.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I still find it better to keep vehicles and repower the drivetrain if needed. With this method, you often need a couple vehicles. I have a company truck during the week. I use mine on the weekends and as needed on other days. If it fails and is down for a month, i am not in a tight squeeze.

I had the trans and diff rebuilt at 178 and 184thouasand miles. I was down a week both times. The motor still runs at 270,000 miles. If it goes, ill put another in it and maybe swap to a newer motor such as an LS series.

I just dont have a need as some people might. Mine still pulls a trailer and hauls stuff in the bed. Still rides fine. Still has enough power. Gas milage is around 15mpg. I guess im in the minority.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Financing is great for those that can manage it. For those that cannot, financing can really bite hard.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I've bought two new vehicles, since 2014 (Tacoma and 4Runner). I think I got 1.9% financing on the Tacoma....and I know I got 1.6% on the 4Runner. At those rates, I don't understand why someone would take cash out of somewhere it's yielding better than those rates - to pay on a vehicle. That makes NO sense (to me).

I need to buy a commuter......so, if you have a late(ish) model CR-V (don't know why....I just want one), let me know.
Last time I was on a Toyota lot they were offering 0%. After negotiating a while I told the guy we were too far apart. He said he could knock another 3,xxx off the price but only if I financed at 5%. That tells me that it all washes in the end. The only way to beat the system is to negotiate a deal, financed through the dealer, at a high interest rate, and pay the whole thing off when you get the first bill.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
Hate to hear about the accident..... Glad you're OK...

For what it's worth... I've had em all... you know me, I trade about every year or so because of the mileage I put on them....

I can say at this moment that between the Ford, Chevy, GMC and the Dodge... the Ford is by FAR the better one IMO... that 5.0 coyote motor is AMAZING and the truck itself is solid, predictable and comfortable... the GM's may ride a bit better, but they just don't feel like a truck at all... handling is like a great big car... When I test drove the Ford, my first reaction was ... now this is a TRUCK. You're more than welcome to take mine for a real world test drive if you want.. shoot me a text and we can meet up... off road, on road, pulling trailer... whatever test you want to put it through..

flathead977

Ten Pointer
Looking used, keep an eye out for where the truck comes from. When I was looking a couple years ago it seemed like 2 out of 3 trucks were sent here from far north states that have rough winters. Only a couple years old and lots of rust on frames and trailer hitches and basically the whole undercarriage.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Last time I was on a Toyota lot they were offering 0%. After negotiating a while I told the guy we were too far apart. He said he could knock another 3,xxx off the price but only if I financed at 5%. That tells me that it all washes in the end. The only way to beat the system is to negotiate a deal, financed through the dealer, at a high interest rate, and pay the whole thing off when you get the first bill.

Or, you could take your calculator and figure the TMV (time money value) for yourself......and not guess.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Dan, thanks for the offer, I'll check out the Fords as well, I doubt I can go wrong with any of them, just need to find the right deal.

Flathead, good point on the origin of the truck, need to be careful of the Northern states as well as flood vehicles from others.

Adjuster is coming hopefully within the hour so I'll know better what Im dealing with.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks buckshooter, not ruling out GMC really just a rebadged Chevy. I was planning on driving my current ride for as long as possible as well but what can you do.

Yep, Chevrolet/GMC= Same truck. They are all built on the same assembly line with the differences being trim and badging that is installed per truck. Did a new truck inspect years ago that had the Chevy emblem on one side and GMC on the other. One of those things that I just knew something wasn't right and had to walk around the truck a few times to pick up on.....