Trout Hunting 11/19/14

wademaster

Had a few chores to complete before hitting the water today so I ended up starting around 2. Ice on the river means cold. Fish were biting. Lost two small trout right off the bat. They came unglued when they come time the top. Oh well. Landed 3 in the couple hours I fished. 2 bows and a brookie.

Fish were feeding on top some. They kept hitting my indicator. I tied on a dry and got some attention but nothing materialized.

The two I lost hit a black wooly bugger. Two of the ones I landed hit a black woolly bugger. The other hit a nymph under an indicator. Hares ear in black.

My feet were more cold today than ever in my life. Needed thicker socks and more layering under the waders. Feet were completely numb for 1-2 hours. No good. You know it's cold when your boots are solid as a brick from a couple days earlier after leaving them in your vehicle.

36eb68ff2382fdfeec1b3bdd64d0206e.jpg

d656571e7b5b37a223ab8b3b707bad64.jpg

a0678fb266278e2075162d192b387e4d.jpg

2cb8ac938f9bb11c6dd5cc92e3a0c309.jpg

Sent from my kayak...

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Had a few chores to complete before hitting the water today so I ended up starting around 2. Ice on the river means cold. Fish were biting. Lost two small trout right off the bat. They came unglued when they come time the top. Oh well. Landed 3 in the couple hours I fished. 2 bows and a brookie.

Fish were feeding on top some. They kept hitting my indicator. I tied on a dry and got some attention but nothing materialized.

The two I lost hit a black wooly bugger. Two of the ones I landed hit a black woolly bugger. The other hit a nymph under an indicator. Hares ear in black.

My feet were more cold today than ever in my life. Needed thicker socks and more layering under the waders. Feet were completely numb for 1-2 hours. No good. You know it's cold when your boots are solid as a brick from a couple days earlier after leaving them in your vehicle.

Sent from my kayak...

Good job.

Usually if those fish are hitting your indicator, tie on a Stimulator pattern as your indicator in a dropper type rig. I have absolutely torn some fish up doing that.

Also, invest a good pair of neoprene wading socks. For winter, they will be your best friend.

wademaster

Good job.

Usually if those fish are hitting your indicator, tie on a Stimulator pattern as your indicator in a dropper type rig. I have absolutely torn some fish up doing that.

Also, invest a good pair of neoprene wading socks. For winter, they will be your best friend.

Yes. I wish I would've had a stimulator. The dry I tried was an Elk Hair Caddis I think. It got a few hits but only one that actually committed and then I didn't set the hook quick enough. I'll need to grab some stims and I really am wanting to learn to tie some patterns. In the future I hope.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Yes. I wish I would've had a stimulator. The dry I tried was an Elk Hair Caddis I think. It got a few hits but only one that actually committed and then I didn't set the hook quick enough. I'll need to grab some stims and I really am wanting to learn to tie some patterns. In the future I hope.

What color caddis did you use? I would look to darker dry patterns. There is a stimulator pattern called the 'Skunkulator' that works really well when the weather cools. It looks a like a Skunk with black deer hair wings and a white calf tail strip tied straight down the center.

If you can become fluent with not using an indicator altogether, I would recommend a midge dropper pattern. That is by far the best fly you can use around here. Small enough to fool any fish, found in every water, found every time of the year.

wademaster

The caddis was a light tan color. I don't use an indicator all the time. They were biting really light, that's why I used one at that time.

I'll have to look into the skunkulator and midge dropper.

Sent from my kayak...