Trout fishing in and around West Jefferson

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've seen some post on in regards to trout fishing the streams around West Jefferson and the high country. Been thinking lately that its something I might like to do a little bit of when the weather breaks this spring. I assume there are public parking access and you walk up or down stream? do most folks fly fish or cast for them?

Grey Fox

Button Buck
Check out the NC Wildlife website for trout fishing maps and your local Trout Unlimited chapter. Get a Delorme and go exploring. Most all streams in Ashe Co. contain trout. The trout fishing gets better the farther west you go in my opinion.

Southside

Ten Pointer
Not being all that familiar with Ashe Co other than some of the rds seems to me finding access to alot of the creeks is difficult. Maybe before spring we can investigate? If not i have some places further to the west i could show you thats a little more access freindly.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
10-4 Im not picky on location, had just heard Jefferson had some good fishing. Its something always thought i would enjoy

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
A lot of streams close to Jefferson. Some are better than others and receive less pressure. Helton creek is delayed harvest and would be your best bet for numbers, as well as some true trophy size trout. It's about 15 or 20 minutes from Jefferson. It gets a lot more attention now than it used to, but it's still a good place.

hrlbuxandduks

i prefer the long rod but you can be successful with rod and reel

wademaster

Spinning works. I think overall a fly will catch more. Looks more natural in my opinion and you can offer a ton of different presentations/angles.

Sent from my kayak...