Trout being stocked in Wake County this winter

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
i just finished a podcast about this very thing. a friend of mine wants to go and load up the smoker. it's pretty much the same trout you'll buy in kroger, "farm raised."

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
it's pretty much the same trout you'll buy in kroger, "farm raised."
Last I looked Kroger shelves around here are pretty bare.... Good eating fish.... same one you'd catch in Cherokee... rather hook it then pick it up at the store..... of course if you fish simpkins pond it's like six bucks a day plus you need state licenses. Might try it as a diversion once deer hunting season is over . Long time till turkeys roll in. I get board with not much to hunt .

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Now to figure out how to catch them in a lake like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pink trout magnet on TM 1/64 head fished 2 ft uder cork. Cast, reel, pause, reel , pause. Berkely Power worm whacky rigged under cork fished the same way. earthworms fished on double dropper rig with 1/2 weight on bottom.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Last year they stocked all 3 species found in NC but the year before that they stocked just rainbows in these ponds

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
I tried finding more info on how many and/or what species are being stocked. That pdf doesn't have a lot of info. But I am excited that Indian pond in edgecomb county will be stocked on Thursday.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I tried finding more info on how many and/or what species are being stocked. That pdf doesn't have a lot of info. But I am excited that Indian pond in edgecomb county will be stocked on Thursday.
The ones I have fished have been stocked with rainbows, brooks and Browns but the rainbows outnumber the others.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Wait they stocked trout here in wake before??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Sorry.

Should have been more clear. The ponds on the list they stocked in the past got all 3 species last year and only rainbows the year before.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Any body have any info on Indian pond in Tarboro, specifically if there's a place to put in a kayak? Or how much shore access there is?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
About the Indian Lake CFP:
The 3.5-acre pond has a maximum depth of seven feet with an average depth of three to four feet and an aeration system. A universally accessible parking area is available. Paddleboats, picnic tables with grills, a volleyball court, horseshoe pits, hiking trails, an outdoor drama complex, concession stand and restrooms are available at the park. Channel catfish are stocked and fed regularly April through September. Fishing tackle is available for loan for free. The fishing fee is $1 per day, and the pond is open to fishing from sunrise to sunset April through October.
Primary Fish Species: Catfish, largemouth bass and sunfish.

http://www.carolinacorner.com/attractions/fishing-areas-edgecombe-county.htm

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
If I told you how I caught 40+ Brookies in 2 hours in a 4’ wide creek walking around 10-15 Fisherman every 500 yards you’d throw rocks at me. I’ve posted up pics of natives and stockies caught. I do have a backpack case for a Spinner outfit for really wore patches. Cast masters and the pink trout magnets seem popular here in PA.

I like phoebe minnnows in NY. Kids run a million varieties of powerbaits. Locals buy from lure maker in a unique bead config.

Trout fishing definitely serious business here.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
If I told you how I caught 40+ Brookies in 2 hours in a 4’ wide creek walking around 10-15 Fisherman every 500 yards you’d throw rocks at me. I’ve posted up pics of natives and stockies caught. I do have a backpack case for a Spinner outfit for really wore patches. Cast masters and the pink trout magnets seem popular here in PA.

I like phoebe minnnows in NY. Kids run a million varieties of powerbaits. Locals buy from lure maker in a unique bead config.

Trout fishing definitely serious business here.
well how did you catch 40 in two hrs? If you told us I missed it..

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Local trick for stockies even locals look down on. Well locals except a 70 y/o Neighbor who’s too old to care?

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I like to take the kids to Lake Higgins pond to fish for the stocked trout. Have to pay like $3/lb after you catch them. I may try the caswell pond this weekend