Trolling Motor ? Ads

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
So, lets say you look at 3 Trolling motors
X, Y, Z
All are the same volts, all say 80 pounds of thrust

How can one say they have 25% or 30% more thrust?

If it is based on capable thrust.

It is like they are playing games to compare 12v to 24v or to 36v.

They have always been sold on thrust.
Wonder why the new games.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
More thrust than "what "is the question. as for voltage games you would hope no 36 vlt motor would only have 80 lbs thrust. :)
what are they comparing to? probably a like model in their own line.
It is interesting now as lowrance and garmin have TM's to play with. Lotsa choices.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
More thrust than "what "is the question. as for voltage games you would hope no 36 vlt motor would only have 80 lbs thrust. :)
what are they comparing to? probably a like model in their own line.
It is interesting now as lowrance and garmin have TM's to play with. Lotsa choices.
There is another off brand.....
I was seeing and hearing people that use them.
Theres was a 80lb brushless and they stated their 80 thrust TM had x% more thrust than the minnkota.

I think.what gamin and Lowrance did by brushless they could run 24 or 36v.
Also made the motor with more output say 96 lb vs the 80 norm.

That being said there will be a power war for trolling motors and the normal output rating will be a thing of the past.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Here is the lowrance Ghost claim.

"25% more thrust than competing models"

To me it is like they are making a new class and power output and charging $$$$ for it.
Soon all the others will top that....
I remember when you could buy a good outboard for what they are charging for a trolling motor now.

You remember when they were 300 to 500$ ? Now they are 3000$ or more.

Kind of like saying 25% more HP out of the new merc 150hp outboard than competing models. 15760083907421101746118.jpg

Last edited:

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Well I can say they have me hooked. I would have already bought one, but I don't want to be in the "first wave" of purchasers. I am going to wait until spring and see what issues, if any, come to light and then I'm going to take the plunge. On paper and what I can find on the web, I like everything about it, and it's lighter than the Ultrex.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Well I can say they have me hooked. I would have already bought one, but I don't want to be in the "first wave" of purchasers. I am going to wait until spring and see what issues, if any, come to light and then I'm going to take the plunge. On paper and what I can find on the web, I like everything about it, and it's lighter than the Ultrex.
i think that is prudent. the "bleeding edge" is not always the place to be.
On lures and tackle yes, on boats and motors not so much.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
i think that is prudent. the "bleeding edge" is not always the place to be.
On lures and tackle yes, on boats and motors not so much.
Exactly right.
I got stung on the first gen of minn kota i pilots. I had replaced the same damn cuicuit board about 6 or 8 times on my dime and finally took it off the boat permanently last time it went out.
I'll gladly take last years model with the bugs worked out of it. Unproven cutting edge technology and saltwater dont make good bedfellows.