Tried new load in my 10ML-II

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
One of Savage's new recommended powder options is Accurate LT-32, and I bought a pound of it to try. I've been shooting AA 5744 (41 gr) & 250 gr XTPs for years with good results, but my gun required I swab the barrel between shots to get good groups. (1-1/2" when swabbing...….and horrible when not!!) I am hoping my gun won't require this with LT-32.

I tried the new powder Saturday, along with a heavier bullet, but I only shot a couple times because of the heat. I'll pick a cooler day to dial it in....and to determine if I can get away without having to swab my dadgum barrel between shots!

For starters, I tried 71 grains Accurate LT-32 with 300 gr Hornady XTPs. (Black MMP sabots; and Winchester 209 primers.) Both shots hit dead-on at 100 yds, within an inch of on another.....about 1-1/2" lower than zero with my previous AA 5744 load.

One thing I noticed with this load versus my old load was that the recoil was considerably greater. The muzzle really jumped....like 6 inches seems like, which I don't recall being as severe with my old load.

Anyway, just wanted to mention what I was trying in my Savage. I'll give an update after spending some time dialing it in.

Any comments? Suggestions? Thanks.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
increase in recoil is normal especially when switching to a powder that increases your powder column that much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

herman

Six Pointer
One of Savage's new recommended powder options is Accurate LT-32, and I bought a pound of it to try. I've been shooting AA 5744 (41 gr) & 250 gr XTPs for years with good results, but my gun required I swab the barrel between shots to get good groups. (1-1/2" when swabbing...….and horrible when not!!) I am hoping my gun won't require this with LT-32.

I tried the new powder Saturday, along with a heavier bullet, but I only shot a couple times because of the heat. I'll pick a cooler day to dial it in....and to determine if I can get away without having to swab my dadgum barrel between shots!

For starters, I tried 71 grains Accurate LT-32 with 300 gr Hornady XTPs. (Black MMP sabots; and Winchester 209 primers.) Both shots hit dead-on at 100 yds, within an inch of on another.....about 1-1/2" lower than zero with my previous AA 5744 load.

One thing I noticed with this load versus my old load was that the recoil was considerably greater. The muzzle really jumped....like 6 inches seems like, which I don't recall being as severe with my old load.

Anyway, just wanted to mention what I was trying in my Savage. I'll give an update after spending some time dialing it in.

Any comments? Suggestions? Thanks.
Can you post the fps when dialing it in?
Just curious

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
increase in recoil is normal especially when switching to a powder that increases your powder column that much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Makes sense. Thanks! Oh, and I switched bullets from 250 grains to 300 as well. That didn't help any either....recoil-wise! More weight equals more whallop….on both ends. Thanks again for your feedback.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I might would try the harvester sabots instead of the mmp. I have had better luck with the harvester crush ribs then any of the MMP stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk