Trenton Field Trial 2020

Edward

Four Pointer
Did anyone of you guys go and run dogs this past weekend. Took my boys and watched with some good people. Had so much fun. Saw 2 bears and 20-30 deer.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I don't really field trial any more, but I will say everybody that likes hunting with running hounds needs to experience the Trenton deer trial at least once. When I ran in it years ago close to 800 hounds were cast. I want to say it was 793.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I used to love going to the deer trials. Did fairly well in them for a while. Trenton is definitely a fun hunt. That was one I made sure I went to every year.

rodman

Ten Pointer
Went the year 611 hounds were cast. They had their mess in a pile as far as casting hounds. It was a roar

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
You ought to be a counter/spotter on a hunt like that.
I bet "judging" near the cast in a hunt with that many hounds, could be best described as chaos. I have judge some large hunts inside the wire and it can keep you running the entire time. Been there at some deer trials that never got boring either.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have judged/counted on a couple pretty big hunts, luckily I had been a member on the property for a long time and knew it well. I enjoyed it but like many things that was associated with this particular place the one running the show started getting slacker and slacker about getting enough judges. The entrants got higher and the judges got less and I took a hike. I know if I had a dog or dogs in one I would want them getting credit where it was due.

Reactions: DRS

Edward

Four Pointer
MY son brought his notebook and pretended to be a judge and did pretty good on catching numbers of dogs at some good crossings, told him next time to volunteer to be 1. We sat in same place for 3.5 hours and had deer right by the truck and got some up close and personal sightings. Both bears were within 50 yards of truck when crossing road.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
MY son brought his notebook and pretended to be a judge and did pretty good on catching numbers of dogs at some good crossings, told him next time to volunteer to be 1. We sat in same place for 3.5 hours and had deer right by the truck and got some up close and personal sightings. Both bears were within 50 yards of truck when crossing road.

If he's is going to judge he needs to get a pocket tape recorder, I have judged alot of outside fox hunts alot easier to call out the dogs number then to try and write it down hardly ever miss a dog that way then when he gets a quiet moment he can put in down on his score sheet.