Tree winch

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
With about a month till I leave on my moose hunt adventure plans are coming together. One of the things is once you kill it how are you going to move it. A winch of some kind is what I thought and I saw a video about a bracket a guy built to attach an atv winch to a tree to drag a elk. Other than a welding shop class back in 9th grade I have no experience with tackling a project like this. At the summer gtg I found someone who was better equipped to tackle this project and it looks like they did a fantastic job. In20180906_152610.jpg6161.jpeg

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So basically the bracket accepts a trailer hitch bracket that holds the winch and the tree bracket will be attached to tree with two ratcheting straps. I hope I don't need it but rather be prepared. Now I got to figure the right batteries to use in case I got to carry it in a ways.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I like it Moose, and hope you get to christen it this year. I came up with something similar to raise ladder stands using a boat winch. Sure you didn't want to try getting a moose up a tree with a hand crank.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
That could save the ole back right there!! I could use it to put up ladder stands.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Look at amsteel blue rope to replace the cable.
It will cut the weight a bunch and also add a bunch more length of reach.
You can get shoe lace thickness that is anyplace from 1600 to 2200 lb working load. You should be able to get 100 feet or more.
Would also make sure of the strap rating. They may not handle the load.
I have used them to make a zip line to get deer accross a creek with only a pulley and rope added. QD plugs make easy work of the battery or able to move and re rig. They cost about 15$ at cabelas.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Enjoyed it Moose, always fun to do something a little different! Hope it serves you well;)

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Interesting and innovative set up. I think I'd be investing in some heavier duty straps though.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They are 1K straps if you double them around the tree I would say you would have it covered.
Yep but they look single layer type light weight strap. One little cut or pinch will cause them to fail fast. Nothing wrong with using them. There are better but if you take care and watch them, make sure they are flat they should work.
BTW most 1000 lb straps are rated for 333 lb working loads.
Just look at the working load not the failure rate.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We'll certainly have a variety of straps to choose from. Hopefully we don't need it and it's in a spot I can easily load. First one a frontend loader happened by and he scooped it up..... the next time we were able to get a truck on it to pull it.... both my others were in 700 lb range after we dressed them. I'm hopeful it's near the road and I can borrow a utility trailer. Plus I want some cool weather. ;)