Tree Tubes

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Go to lowes and buy 4" corrugated pipe like people use for downspout runoff. Split it and then use a couple big tyraps. Cheaper and will last forever.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Go to lowes and buy 4" corrugated pipe like people use for downspout runoff. Split it and then use a couple big tyraps. Cheaper and will last forever.
I use those large green rebar looking stakes to the outside. You can use them over and over.

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Forestry Suppliers carries the tubes. For the stake we use 1/2” electrical PVC, 10’ piece is around a dollar, cut 3 ways they’re cheap and re usable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I would stay away from black plastic pipe. Not so much from the heat, but the lock of sunlight penetration can cause issues as well. Holds moisture around stem and root collar. Dark, warm and wet can promote various fungi. What kind of trees and what size are you putting them on?

Last edited:

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would stay a from black plastic pipe. Not so much from the heat, but the lock of sunlight penetration can cause issues as well. Holds moisture around stem and root collar. Dark, warm and wet can promote various fungi. What kind of trees and what size are you putting them on?

Chestnut seedlings

hardentownhunter

Four Pointer
Tree pro is where I got mine last year. They are holding up good. They are white /clear tubes with holes in them so the trees can get some circulation. They sell stakes too. Get the treated stakes....the bamboo doesn't last long.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would stay a from black plastic pipe. Not so much from the heat, but the lock of sunlight penetration can cause issues as well. Holds moisture around stem and root collar. Dark, warm and wet can promote various fungi. What kind of trees and what size are you putting them on?
Get the one with holes in it, no moisture problems and lets sunlight through. Also enough ventilation it won't scald. Used them on apple trees when I had an orchard and use them now on sawtooth. The apple orchards in the mountains use them over and over for years.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Chestnut seedlings

I think there are two trains of thoughts in this thread. One is a durable tree "guard" which would protect from damage from sting trimmers and various critters. The other is a tree "shelter" which small seedlings are covered with which allows them to grow while being protected (and identified to avoid mowing). Both have their uses, but the one you need is based on what you are looking for it to accomplish. All recommended sources above are good options. Attached is a planting of persimmons and pawpaw with "tree shelters" which allow small seedlings to grow while being protected from some dangers. This is a few years back and teh trees have since grown well above the shelters

Attachments

• Tree_Tubes.JPG
    Tree_Tubes.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Tree_Tubes_inside.JPG
    Tree_Tubes_inside.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 27