Tree split in two.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Got to break out the Stihl.

Lot of firewood on this one.

IMG_20220731_131551001_HDR.jpg
Just found it while bush hogging the back 18.5.

Google lens says it's a pecan.....

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Good wood for the smoker.!
Good portion of that tree has been pre smoked.

Got hit by lightning a decade ago. Whole west side is scarred.

About a third of the canopy was blown off then, but it continues to grow.

Apparently the wind had knocked off half the remaining top.

Figured I'd clean up the cord on the ground, then cut the rest down under the circumstances.

Prior to last year, I had a two person ladder in that tree. Moved it last August.

There is a dangling widow maker on the tree. Might need a professional for that.....

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Pecan trees are notoriously brittle as they age.

When I was a kid, the farm we lived on had 4 around the house & barns. In about a five year span, 3 of the 4 fell.

Last edited:

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I want to go out on a limb here, no pun intended, and offer that this may not be a pecan, or at least, not the same type as the pecan trees we actually harvest from that are in my Dad's yard.

The nuts, look a little different as well.

Also, the base trunk of the tree is about 30" in diameter, which is a little bigger than most mature pecan trees.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I want to go out on a limb here, no pun intended, and offer that this may not be a pecan, or at least, not the same type as the pecan trees we actually harvest from that are in my Dad's yard.

The nuts, look a little different as well.

Also, the base trunk of the tree is about 30" in diameter, which is a little bigger than most mature pecan trees.
There are around 500 different types of Pecan trees.. so not unlikely that you have one that is different from others.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Looking at the the buds, the stem, the leaf scars, the nut and the leaf itself, I’m gonna say this is a hickory and not a pecan. Probably a pignut but possibly a shagbark.
I always assumed it was a pignut, so I never really denutted one. Bark not really shaggy, but then again, it did have some areas it looked shaggy, but then again, it was hit by lightning and was barkless over some of its exterior. Frankly, I was suprised it was still alive after all these years.

Firedog is right, and some googling showed there are well over 1K pecan varieties according to pecan nation.

I'll wade through the tree fall and have another look at the bark when I get a chance.

Not that any of that matters. Pecan or hickory, I'm cutting it up for fire and smoke wood, along with evaluation of any of the wood to use as project lumber.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
According to my party chief (who has a degree in trees or whatever from THE NC State University) is as follows:

Pecans are in the hickory family.

Although the nuts are close with some minor differences, the pignut has five leaflets on its compound leaf, the three top ones being the same size, the rear two about 1/3 in size.

the pecan has between 9 and 17, depending on species, with leaflets towards the middle generally being larger than the ones on the ends or tip.

So, there you go. Life lesson for the day.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Found this while cutting up the fall..

IMG_20220806_185951676_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220806_185938296_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220806_185938296_HDR.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 8