Tree saddle and archery

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I'm vaguely familiar with John and his setup. I've seen one of his setups through a video but that's it. He was working out kinks in the saddle system before I was even thought about being born ?
i suggest you look at their books. he goes into extreme detail. and his use of steps prevents some of the issues identified here imo.

cmcarter

Six Pointer
Just got back inside from shooting. It’s a tough comparison because the angle to my targets isn’t very steep. Maybe the saddle will out shine in a steeper angle scenario but debatable. As long as you understand to bend at the waste with a tree stand then form will be the same.
In my opinion the tree saddle gives a better range of motion and therefore shooting opportunity. I can shoot 360 degrees with little effort. With the lock on I couldn’t shoot directly behind my stand without leaning over the edge. So maybe you can argue the saddle is safer. But I believe a very small percentage of scenarios, if any, would warrant you to lean away from a hang on just to get a shot off.
Here’s pictures from today. Hang on and saddle.

84054108cc7b87a9cb0d852b330fbf44.jpg

fee4cae253a2d28320b71c3d2b9e3850.jpg

6d0e7f434d8103aa7415a6e9e5c6aa08.jpg

7c46940fb9b0edb1d919e3e8348a034c.jpg

7eb1a07b0a9bdff0a5c865d90fb53077.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
do you saddle guys have any issues with footwork when shooting? foot placement is always the first thing I look at when shooting, I try to be consistent as possible. How can you get consistent footing in a saddle and does your accuracy suffer in any way? Asking for a friend.........lol.
Just take some practice. Getting your tether height just right makes a big difference. At first, I was having issues with my footing and shooting, I was not steady when making movements in the tree and was basically just free swinging everywhere. Once I got my tether height adjusted correctly, all that went away. It's really amazing how rock solid I am in a saddle, even when doing "awkward" shots such as behind me or to my weak side. Just like anything, just takes some practice and experimentation.

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
That JX3 looks awesome.

Here are my thoughts about the saddles. Apart from some of the flakey people selling them, I think it’s an awesome idea. I really relate some of these people to the crossfitters. Both are very functional and practical, but they are being over sold.

I hunt on base a lot. Climbers give me great access to move in off the edges and get in closer to bedding areas, staging areas, and hidden food sources. The limitation is availability of trees and cover. Some times I am choosing stand location based on trees available and not how I’m interpreting the sign. This is were I see the saddle as a huge asset. I could select a tree located were I want, without having to worry about cutting limbs or finding a tree without low level limbs.

Being that saddles pack in smaller than a climber, I think it could be more useful when trying to set up on the hottest freshest sign. I kinda look at it as run and gun turkey hunting for white tails .

For those of you saying it’s uncomfortable, have you trying squatting to parallel when you set the leg straps. My flight vest has similar leg restraints and that’s how we are taught to properly fit it to our bodies prior to flight.

cmcarter

Six Pointer
The saddle is great for run and gun style setups. Its weight is the sole driver for why I decided to try it. Well that and I could make one from a sitdrag and rock harness for under $100.
I would absolutely recommend it to any hunter that likes less weight and a more compact setup.

That JX3 looks awesome.

Here are my thoughts about the saddles. Apart from some of the flakey people selling them, I think it’s an awesome idea. I really relate some of these people to the crossfitters. Both are very functional and practical, but they are being over sold.

I hunt on base a lot. Climbers give me great access to move in off the edges and get in closer to bedding areas, staging areas, and hidden food sources. The limitation is availability of trees and cover. Some times I am choosing stand location based on trees available and not how I’m interpreting the sign. This is were I see the saddle as a huge asset. I could select a tree located were I want, without having to worry about cutting limbs or finding a tree without low level limbs.

Being that saddles pack in smaller than a climber, I think it could be more useful when trying to set up on the hottest freshest sign. I kinda look at it as run and gun turkey hunting for white tails .

For those of you saying it’s uncomfortable, have you trying squatting to parallel when you set the leg straps. My flight vest has similar leg restraints and that’s how we are taught to properly fit it to our bodies prior to flight.

Last edited:

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I am ready to rock with my saddle set up. Put the finishing touches on my platform today. Primal step with a DIY plywood platform. Aero Hunter Kestrel saddle, single Lone Wolf Climbing stick, step and platform, total weight is 9.8lbs. Saddle, step and platform fit in the lid of my Kuiu 6000 bag, stick is strapped to outside. 10lbs lighter, way quieter and weigh less bulky than any climbing stand I own. Going to be way easier hauling this set up in come opening morning. It's a 1.42 mile walk from the truck to my intended spot. I was dreading that walk with a climber on my back, now, I am looking forward to it. I will really test the comfort of my set up opening day. I intend to hunt all day, save for a quick lunch break to possibly switch spots. 10+ hours in the saddle should really let me know if I have got this thing dialed in or not.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
First hunt out of the saddle and first time setting up in climbing the dark. Set up and climb went pretty smoothly. I stayed in the saddle for 5 hours. I was pretty comfortable the whole time. I did began to experience some hip discomfort towards the end. Nothing unbearable and I beleive I just need to adjust my bridge and that will be fixed. Biggest thing I learned is I need a different way to hang my bow fron tree. All in all, first saddle hunt went great. Had a doe and fawn at 8 yds.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Thats a big ole bag of nope for me. Not getting my fat arse anywhere near one of those things.

Dhumpy

Four Pointer
I’m running a sit drag sewed onto a hunting style fanny pack and climbing with tree spurs. This is my first year using the saddle, I’m 3 hunts in and love it. Carrying everything I need in my pack makes things a lot easier. With my setup I’ve learned that the height of my tree tether plays a big roll in comfort.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
I've been in a saddle full time this year after dabbling a bit last year.

I sewed my own which is essentially a clone of the Tethrd Mantis. Last year was a struggle getting my setup dialed and being comfortable for longer sits. I primarily used the wild edge steps (w/ aider) last year for mobile setups, and screw in steps for pre-hung sets. I love the compactness of the wild edge steps, but they are a little slower to hang. I have some modded Hawk Helium sticks this year with aiders sewn to each that make things MUCH easier/quicker. I also added a platform this year (Predator) that has been a game changer for comfort.

Adjustments that have made a world of difference for me:
-Saddle time...just getting a few days in the tree makes a world of difference
-Back band...I'll never leave home without it for any sit longer than 2hrs. Huge increase in comfort
-Learning to alternate between "sitting" in the saddle and "Standing/leaning" on the platform
-Knee pads or a piece of foam so that you can sit with your knees into the tree
-Using wild edge steps for getting way back and using sticks for the easy hikes. The sticks tend to get hung up on thick brush when going in, whereas the wild edge steps fit into my pack. I can get over 20' with 3 sticks (w/ aiders) or 5 WE steps (w/aider)
-Practice getting set up in the yard
-Play with the bridge length!!! (I use a 1/4" amsteel whoopie sling that is adjustable
-Play with tether height, for some it's best at neck level, others...as high as they can reach

The saddle has allowed me to get into places that just would not have been possible with a climber, it seems the mature bucks rarely roam in areas with climber friendly trees outside of the rut! The only thing I despise more than carrying a climber into the woods is carrying a hang on in. I can pack a platform and steps inside my pack and still hang my bow on the outside of my pack on the way in.

This has kept me from hunting the same tree twice and allowed me to move in on fresh sign and hang and hunt that day. I was tagged out in 4 sits this year and most of this I attribute to being able to get aggressive and get in tight to the buck's core area when the conditions were right. One of my hangs had me in a gnarled old red oak that was certainly not climber friendly and then on the last buck I was swaying in a 5" diameter maple, but it was the only option in order to be in the right area.

The saddle has also allowed me to keep the tree between me and the deer whenever possible cutting down on getting busted. I'm definitely sold. One other tip...practice ALL of the shots! Both of my bucks this year came on weak side shots. You don't want to have to do that for the first time in the stand on a nice buck!

They certainly aren't for everyone. If your property has a lot of presets, then I don't see too much of a point, but if you prefer to be mobile, they can't be beat. I spent a lot of my younger years rock climbing, so there wasn't as much of a learning curve as there could have been. I feel the saddle is extremely safe as there is no time where I am not secured to the tree by at least one rope.

If anyone is ever in the Greensboro area and wants to try any of the gear out, just give me a shout. I can let you see if it is something you are interested in.

berryman26

Six Pointer
I've been in a saddle full time this year after dabbling a bit last year.
Thanks for this write up.
I'm definitely considering a saddle next season since all I hunt is gamelands, and being able to get in and out quietly into the thick swampy areas would be a game changer.
I'm leaning towards the Hawk Helium sticks and using an aider.
I may give you a holler if I'm in greensboro to try it out lol.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for this write up.
I'm definitely considering a saddle next season since all I hunt is gamelands, and being able to get in and out quietly into the thick swampy areas would be a game changer.
I'm leaning towards the Hawk Helium sticks and using an aider.
I may give you a holler if I'm in greensboro to try it out lol.

Sure thing. I'd be happy to let you try it. If you are in thick areas, I would definitely recommend modding the Heliums by cutting them down and then using an aider, at full length, packing those sticks in can be frustrating. you are welcome to try out the wild edge steps to see if those may work for you. They are definitely a bit easier to get in deep as they fit down in your pack. There are the Primal V Steps as well. I'm going to grab some to try...at $22 for 4 steps, they are MUCH cheaper.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
A few people asked about the DIY saddle. Other than the Cobra buckle, J hook tensioners, and the mesh...nearly all the parts were scavenged from a couple of freebie harnesses that came with climbers or hang ons. I also had some webbing/grosgrain/amsteel laying around from other projects.

Pretty clearly a knock off of the Mantis, all credit goes to them!
AE6616EA-908A-4E67-96F6-405978BDBFF7.jpegEC1F002F-BF6B-4743-A198-8CD7B3249FCA.jpeg358429C0-43D1-411A-890A-8A1DF657E44A.jpeg

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Shot my first deer from a saddle today. 8pt public land buck. 1.5 Mike walk in. Climbed to about 15ft, buck came in behind me, no issues maneuvering in the saddle to make the shot. I was using a rifle, FYI.

Congrats!!!! Awesome accomplishment!

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I decided to give this a try considering it was sub $100. When I first heard about saddles I was dead set on not switching from my lock-ons. To me, it didn't make sense how a saddle would be any more comfortable. It wasn't until I sat in my buddy's that I started to consider it.
I'm usually of the mindset, if it's not broke then don't fix it. However, I really liked the idea of my "stand" weighing less than a pound and having the ability to walk through brush without it getting caught on briers.

Really just curious how many people have tried them or use them. I'll have more info on likes and dislikes as the season goes on.

Hell I have almost $100 in my lineman’s rope 😀

If I were younger, I’d try it. I did just get a set of sticks and another LW lock-on. I’ve been thinking of this for a couple years now.

I stand when I bowhunt (which is almost exclusively). So this would prob be a break on my knees.

Any older guys doing this? I just turned 55

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

If I were younger, I’d try it. I did just get a set of sticks and another LW lock-on. I’ve been thinking of this for a couple years now.

I stand when I bowhunt (which is almost exclusively). So this would prob be a break on my knees.

i think the older eberhart who popularized this decades ago still plays in one. John be his name. he's old.
his books could be a primer for it's use except the equipment now is so much better. And it was hard to find anyone trying or demonstrating it.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well Matty you made it sound awful easy. the detail was informative and would help anyone considering the move.
that fish finder info wasnt too shabby either. :)
Welcome.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
If any of you younger guys really like those saddles, you might think about a career doing linework. If you can be comfortable in one of those, you might be able make good money in a harness and climbing. Just a thought.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Welp looks like I’ll be saddle hunting next year. Picked up a “new” old saddle, old trophy line from 2004 but still had the tag and lineman’s belt strapped tight. It’s not one of these super lightweight ones that are out there now but I’ll try it out and upgrade. Very least it will be a good late season saddle since it’s got an insulated saddle seat.

I hunt nearly everyday from September to January out of a saddle.
So I get a ton of time each year in a saddle, and for a run and gunner like myself you absolutely can't beat them.

When it comes to comfort they are nearly as comfortable as a summit climber when you figure them out.
As for the safety I don't think you can get a safer method of hunting out of a tree.

In my opinion saddles are not a great fit for every hunter, but they do really shine in the run and gun game.

537009195a1a58ac6cdb208a07e147b5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

berryman26

Six Pointer
I hunt nearly everyday from September to January out of a saddle.
So I get a ton of time each year in a saddle, and for a run and gunner like myself you absolutely can't beat them.

When it comes to comfort they are nearly as comfortable as a summit climber when you figure them out.
As for the safety I don't think you can get a safer method of hunting out of a tree.

In my opinion saddles are not a great fit for every hunter, but they do really shine in the run and gun game.

537009195a1a58ac6cdb208a07e147b5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
What's your setup- what sticks and is that a Tethrd mantis?