Tree saddle advice.

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
I’ve been watching a ton of youtube videos, and a lot of John Eberhart tutorials. I like the idea of being mobile and better hidden. Thoughts from you all who have already invested the money and time into one of these systems?

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Wouldn't trade if for anything for the way I prefer to hunt. I have been using it fairly exclusively for the past several years. There was a pretty decent thread in here not too terribly long ago, I'll try to dig it up and link to it here.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor

If you are ever in the GSO/Summerfield area I'd be more than happy to let you try the gear out / walk you through the process.

GAWolf

Ten Pointer

If you are ever in the GSO/Summerfield area I'd be more than happy to let you try the gear out / walk you through the process.
That’s kind of you to offer. Really kind. There are ton of how-to videos on youtube. I think I can figure it out from those, but thank you sincerely. What brand do you have? Would you do anything differently now that you have time invested in it?

i’m looking at Tethrd.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I’ve got a saddle as well. It’s pretty nice, and it gets easier and more comfortable the more you use it and get use to how to adjust it to you. That said I still setup a lock on if i plan on hunting for a long time or several sits in an area. I also tend to move more in my saddle than in a lock on.

If you already have climbing sticks use those and then pickup a saddle and a platform.

Side note on platforms if you get one, I’d suggest one that you can adjust the angle, I can’t stand on one that is leaning down or away from the tree without shaking like crazy, level it up or little above level I’m fine.

Honestly a set of sticks has been the best climbing method I’ve found. It may be heavier but I can move quieter and setup faster with 3-4 sticks than anything else I’ve tried.

Only thing I’d do different is I’m planning on trying a different saddle I have a mantis now and am thinking about getting an H2 saddle

Wait till about mid January a bunch of stuff will come up on Facebook groups for sale as a lot of guys want to change their setups every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I cringe when I see some saddle setups. I suppose just hang and hunt is different than work positioning but I value my life more than to use some of the configurations I’ve seen on FB and places.

Same. I’m not an arborist but I’ve spent time on various systems.
Some of these home made rigs make me super nervous. Guy buys a sit drag and borrows his wife’s sewing machine and bam, he’s making saddles.

And I’m not using a Ropeman as my sole security.
I guess I’m overly cautious.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I cringe when I see some saddle setups. I suppose just hang and hunt is different than work positioning but I value my life more than to use some of the configurations I’ve seen on FB and places.

Some of these guys out here go crazy with moding stuff.

But I will say that I shot a deer Saturday out of my saddle with a rifle that i don’t think I would have ever had a shot at in any other stand.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Same. I’m not an arborist but I’ve spent time on various systems.
Some of these home made rigs make me super nervous. Guy buys a sit drag and borrows his wife’s sewing machine and bam, he’s making saddles.

And I’m not using a Ropeman as my sole security.
I guess I’m overly cautious.

I had a prusik knot slip about 2” this year. It came tied and I’ve never took it off. I don’t know what happened but I about :donk:donk:donk:donk myself.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Mechanicals are leaned on much harder in industrial access than tree work, but we’re getting there. There’s some gross over, but it’s mostly ascend/descend one way stuff, where as some of the arboriculture stuff is work positioning (ascend/belay) on the same device.

that said, it’s not even that. I see guys using AmSteel for life lines and bridges. I don’t get that one bit. It’s not a safe use of those particular textiles, even though the rating is well within SWL specs

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I had a prusik knot slip about 2” this year. It came tied and I’ve never took it off. I don’t know what happened but I about :donk:donk:donk:donk myself.

I’ve got one work set up that I run with a little slip in it most of the time 😂. 2” ain’t much. Try tying in to a tree and going up the rope and not realizing you’re across a sucker further up than the crotch youre trying to tie-in to, and the sucker breaking. Especially when base anchoring (creates double the slack when it breaks). I had one break about 3ft above the crotch I THOUGHT I was in. The sucker broke when I was about 18ft off the ground, and I fell about 6ft lol

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Mechanicals are leaned on much harder in industrial access than tree work, but we’re getting there. There’s some gross over, but it’s mostly ascend/descend one way stuff, where as some of the arboriculture stuff is work positioning (ascend/belay) on the same device.

that said, it’s not even that. I see guys using AmSteel for life lines and bridges. I don’t get that one bit. It’s not a safe use of those particular textiles, even though the rating is well within SWL specs

Why is AmSteel a bad idea? I’m switching my tree straps on my sticks to an amsteel daisy chain. I know there has been some sticks kick out with not using the daisy chain correctly. I personally wouldn’t use it for a tether but I do have it as a bridge

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I had an Aerohunter but wasn’t comfortable enough... so I bought a JX3

Won’t look back! It’s amazingly more comfortable than a Summit Viper and packs in nice

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
I had an Aerohunter but wasn’t comfortable enough... so I bought a JX3

Won’t look back! It’s amazingly more comfortable than a Summit Viper and packs in nice
Those JX3s look like they would be the most comfortable ones out of all of them. Do you wear it to the tree the same as the other brands? If so, does the seat part get in the way? I’ve really been eyeing these saddles.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Why is AmSteel a bad idea? I’m switching my tree straps on my sticks to an amsteel daisy chain. I know there has been some sticks kick out with not using the daisy chain correctly. I personally wouldn’t use it for a tether but I do have it as a bridge

As a bridge it isn’t horrible. As a daisy chain/stick thing it isn’t horrible. Neither of those see much friction for heat. However it isn’t that great as a life line because there is little heat resistance (belay devices/hitch (prussik)cordage), and virtually no elasticity which you want to absorb some energy in the event of a fall.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Those JX3s look like they would be the most comfortable ones out of all of them. Do you wear it to the tree the same as the other brands? If so, does the seat part get in the way? I’ve really been eyeing these saddles.
Wear it to tree ... seat stays folded up until at hunting height and then you unfold it

They are now launching some accessories.. one being an adjustable headrest... not sure if I will ever stay awake to see another deer😂

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
As a bridge it isn’t horrible. As a daisy chain/stick thing it isn’t horrible. Neither of those see much friction for heat. However it isn’t that great as a life line because there is little heat resistance (belay devices/hitch (prussik)cordage), and virtually no elasticity which you want to absorb some energy in the event of a fall.
Just bought an amsteel adjustable bridge for the JX3

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer

Okay. I definitely don’t want to use it as a tether or life line due to its slickness. I want something that’s got some friction to bite against.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Okay. I definitely don’t want to use it as a tether or life line due to its slickness. I want something that’s got some friction to bite against.

Slickness isn’t the issue with it as a tether or life life, it’s the static nature and the fact that it’s not heat resistant. That’s all. It’s great for its intended purpose, which is winch lines and static rigging loads. As a bridge it’s not horrible but you’ve got so little in play there that the lack of elasticity and elongation aren’t a big factor, though I’m not sure why anyone sells them a as a bridge. There are much better options.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
That’s kind of you to offer. Really kind. There are ton of how-to videos on youtube. I think I can figure it out from those, but thank you sincerely. What brand do you have? Would you do anything differently now that you have time invested in it?

i’m looking at Tethrd.

I did my own thing for the saddle, though not one of the sit n' drag death traps mentioned in this thread! There are pics in the post I linked above. My setup has shifted a bit here and there over time, but from where I am at now my only changes would be in my tether/lineman. I would move from the bulky materials and ropeman that I use now to an Oplux/Prusik setup. Lighter, more compact, quieter, and debatably safer.

I have a Tethrd Predator platform, but honestly am not at all fond of them as a company due to multiple periods of shady business practices. I would not buy from them again. If I were to buy a saddle tomorrow it would most likely be a Cruzr XC. I also like Trophyline's platform better than Tethrd's. It is made for trophyline by LoneWolf/Novix.

Steps are very much a personal preference thing. I modded a set of Heliums and use an aider...this part of my setup has evolved the most over time. I also have a couple of sets of WildEdge Steppladders and they have their place. If $ grew on trees I would prefer a set of 4 shortish TimberNinja steps with the attached aider. They are made locally in NC and extremely light/quiet...but that comes at a cost.

Saddle hunting IS NOT for everyone...but it has worked very well for me and how/where I like to hunt.

berryman26

Six Pointer
I bought a CRUZR saddle and a tethrd platform- it was expensive but so worth it. the mobility I have is the best.
It takes some practice in the dark but I'm getting better and faster.
I love being able to pick almost any tree I want in an area now.

cheapdate

Eight Pointer

Been using daisy-chained amsteel for sticks for the past 2 years. No problems. Much faster, lighter, quieter, easier than the old cam straps.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Been using daisy-chained amsteel for sticks for the past 2 years. No problems. Much faster, lighter, quieter, easier than the old cam straps.

works well for that purpose. The rest of the time I see it used it’s a “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should” type thing.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
For those of you shy about saddles... I do redundancy

Why? 1. Because I am use to having my HSS vest on and store my calls etc in the pockets.

2. My HSS vest with a bridge on the lineman’s loops tied into a 2nd tether that I use after climbing( lineman’s belt )gives me peace of mind knowing I have a backup so that I go home safe

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer

I’ve been debating on it for a while. Suppose to be getting some xop short sticks I’m gonna try them on and may get some for my lone wolf sticks.

I’d really Like to buy some light sticks but I can’t swallow 400-600 for a set of climbing sticks

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
I’ve got one work set up that I run with a little slip in it most of the time 😂. 2” ain’t much. Try tying in to a tree and going up the rope and not realizing you’re across a sucker further up than the crotch youre trying to tie-in to, and the sucker breaking. Especially when base anchoring (creates double the slack when it breaks). I had one break about 3ft above the crotch I THOUGHT I was in. The sucker broke when I was about 18ft off the ground, and I fell about 6ft lol

Are you speaking English?

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
I did my own thing for the saddle, though not one of the sit n' drag death traps mentioned in this thread! There are pics in the post I linked above. My setup has shifted a bit here and there over time, but from where I am at now my only changes would be in my tether/lineman. I would move from the bulky materials and ropeman that I use now to an Oplux/Prusik setup. Lighter, more compact, quieter, and debatably safer.

I have a Tethrd Predator platform, but honestly am not at all fond of them as a company due to multiple periods of shady business practices. I would not buy from them again. If I were to buy a saddle tomorrow it would most likely be a Cruzr XC. I also like Trophyline's platform better than Tethrd's. It is made for trophyline by LoneWolf/Novix.

Steps are very much a personal preference thing. I modded a set of Heliums and use an aider...this part of my setup has evolved the most over time. I also have a couple of sets of WildEdge Steppladders and they have their place. If $ grew on trees I would prefer a set of 4 shortish TimberNinja steps with the attached aider. They are made locally in NC and extremely light/quiet...but that comes at a cost.

Saddle hunting IS NOT for everyone...but it has worked very well for me and how/where I like to hunt.

great advice. Thank you. I looked at another company first and they are six months backordered. Saddles are hot items these days. I hunt hard and high. I feel like I go too high in climbers now and need a safer option. I’ll be mostly rifle hunting out of it.