Tree of the day

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor

It looks like there's a few places they overlap, I saw them side by side outside of Aiken SC when I was working down there years ago. I didn't realize that laurel grew down there, but sure enough it was on the property.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Didn't know laurel was in Fla and miss. either interesting. I love to be in woods late turkey season when its blooming its a nice time like now its good to be trout fishing with the rhodo blooming.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
When it comes to tree ID, why do so many hunters call Willow Oak trees Pin Oaks? Pin Oaks are not common at all throughout NC & do not even closely resemble Willow Oaks which are common statewide. Deer like them both, but I have heard they really have an real affinity towards Pin Oaks. Wouldn't that be reason enough to know the difference?

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
When it comes to tree ID, why do so many hunters call Willow Oak trees Pin Oaks? Pin Oaks are not common at all throughout NC & do not even closely resemble Willow Oaks which are common statewide. Deer like them both, but I have heard they really have an real affinity towards Pin Oaks. Wouldn't that be reason enough to know the difference?
In my experience, the older folks grew up calling them pin oaks, and there is absolutely no convincing them otherwise. I’ve never seen a pin oak outside of somebody planting them in a parking lot.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Between Edgefield & Plum Br on SC283. Park where 283 crosses Turkey Cr & walk downstream.

Toted a few old gobbularz outta there!!
I always meant to hunt that area back in early 2000s but I ended up in Sumter in around union co. Then drifted away from SC since

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
20200708_093233.jpg20200708_093306.jpg
Two for the price of one. Both are pinnately compound One species is a native shrub with serrated margins down the leaf, mostly hair free. The other is an invasive species with a bad smell. The invasive has a smooth margin and one or two teeth towards the base of each leaflet
Our native shrub has some wildlife value in the seeds and the invasive is in the book " A tree grows in brooklyn " and will just about grow in a crack in a sidewalk

Last edited:

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Invasive tree: Tree of Heaven, Ailanthus altissima Most folks say it smells like burnt peanut butter.

"Shrub of the day": Sumac. Probably either stag horn Rhus typhina or smooth Rhus glabra late season bird food, important for pollinators and rabbits will strip the bark.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Invasive tree: Tree of Heaven, Ailanthus altissima Most folks say it smells like burnt peanut butter.

"Shrub of the day": Sumac. Probably either stag horn Rhus typhina or smooth Rhus glabra late season bird food, important for pollinators and rabbits will strip the bark.
Yep, tree of heaven is the invasive and the shrub of the day is smooth sumac. On the first picture the sumac is on the left with the serrated edges and tree of heaven is on the right. In the second picture the sumac is the closer one with the reddish flowers and the TOH has the yellowish

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Pin oak is not native to NC
As jenkinsnb said, Pin Oaks are often found for sale in nurseries & planted in parking lots. Statewide they are not common in the woods, but I have seen a few on gamelands around Butner, particularly across the road from the Federal Prison there.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Pin oaks are stll not native.

Yes they are planted across the state.

So are other non native oak species.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Pin oaks are stll not native.

Yes they are planted the state.

So are other non native oak species.
Not splitting hairs about native vs non-native, but I am pretty sure the "wild ones" I have identified in that area more than likely were not planted by humans. Tree ID NC range maps show a small pocket of "native" Pin Oaks in a couple counties in the upper Central Piedmont area. Anyhow, the point is "Pin Oaks ain't Willow Oaks" and vice versa.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Here is a tree found across the state on usually the high dry and poor soils. You may see a lot of it in the sandhills. 20190815_083804.jpg
Leaf is simple and alternate, dark green on top, a little lighter on the bottom and has reddish brown hairs.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
This thread gives me nightmares of plant ID class from college. Except on our tests there would sometimes only be a 1 inch sq section of bark to identify.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Here is a tree found across the state on usually the high dry and poor soils. You may see a lot of it in the sandhills. View attachment 47038
Leaf is simple and alternate, dark green on top, a little lighter on the bottom and has reddish brown hairs.
Given the short stem and fuzzy underside, I’m going with blackjack oak.
ETA: I’m apparently a little late to the party.