Traveling by airplane with a suppressor?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I know that it must always be in my posession and I must have tax stamp paperwork handy. Does checking the suppressor with the gun violate that law? Or do I put it in my carry on and keep it on my person? Obviously it’s nothing harmful or illegal to posess, but I can see some liberal TSA xray person go full whacktard and destroy my arrival time.

What do you guys think? It’s legal to use for hunting in Wyoming. Just trying to figure out the best way to get it there.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Put it in your locked guncase, just like a spare mag. Wouldn't hurt to have a copy of your paperwork in there as well. You'll go over all this with an airline rep when you check in.
I know the drill at the airport. Been traveling to hunt for 30 years. Just didn't want to leave it loose in the gun case. I've had TSA rummage through my bow case and rifle cases more than once. They typically don't put things back where they were. They just ransack the contents and cram it shut. I've had several things scratched, and rubbed against each other because of their negligence. It wouldn't surprise me for one of those POS to "forget" to put it back in there.

I've always used TSA locks in the past. Maybe it's time to use my own locks to force them to make me present when they search it?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've always used TSA locks in the past. Maybe it's time to use my own locks to force them to make me present when they search it?

Concur I don’t use TSA locks

If the case is big enough I just leave it attached to the end of the barrel

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I've always used my own lock. Never been asked to open it. I guess I just sound trustworthy when they ask if it's unloaded, with no ammo in here.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Don't you need special paperwork beyond registration stamps to transfer (transport) NFA 'firearms' across state lines?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Don't you need special paperwork beyond registration stamps to transfer (transport) NFA 'firearms' across state lines?
No clue.

Did a quick read and as long as suppressors are legal in the state you are going to, you are ok. Still need to have your paperwork handy as anywhere.

Short barrels rifles, short shotguns or other similar items are a different story.

Last edited:
Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I looked and it does indeed look like suppressors are not included:

(4)
for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, to transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986), short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, except as specifically authorized by the Attorney General consistent with public safety and necessity;

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
OK suppressors/silencers are not included.

This form is used to obtain permission to temporarily or permanently move your registered National Firearms Act (NFA) machine gun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or destructive device interstate. Persons other than qualified federal firearms licensees (FFLs) or government agencies are required to obtain this permission.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I know the drill at the airport. Been traveling to hunt for 30 years. Just didn't want to leave it loose in the gun case. I've had TSA rummage through my bow case and rifle cases more than once. They typically don't put things back where they were. They just ransack the contents and cram it shut. I've had several things scratched, and rubbed against each other because of their negligence. It wouldn't surprise me for one of those POS to "forget" to put it back in there.

They will probably just cut the lock.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
TSA says a suppressor must be checked, declared and locked just like any other firearm. Can’t be separate in carry on or in a “normal” suitcase check bag.

A NOTE FROM TSA​

Thank you for contacting the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Contact Center.

Under Federal law, “firearm” is defined as: any weapon (including a starter gun) that will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; and any destructive device. Any item under these definitions must be declared and transported in accordance with TSA regulations.

This means that firearms, including frames, receivers, mufflers, and silencers, must be packaged in a hard-sided, locked case and declared to your airline.

Rifle barrels and stocks are not considered firearms and do not need to be declared or placed in a locked, hard-sided case; however, they must be packed in checked baggage. Rifle barrels and stocks are not allowed in your carry-on bag.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I know that it must always be in my posession and I must have tax stamp paperwork handy. Does checking the suppressor with the gun violate that law? Or do I put it in my carry on and keep it on my person? Obviously it’s nothing harmful or illegal to posess, but I can see some liberal TSA xray person go full whacktard and destroy my arrival time.

What do you guys think? It’s legal to use for hunting in Wyoming. Just trying to figure out the best way to get it there.
Where are you flying out of?
At RDU I've never had any trouble. I get there an extra hour ahead of time if I'm travelling with a gun. I've always waited til they say "alright, good." You wait and they take it down the elevator to the X ray that the normal checked bags go down. Your average TSA person is a working stiff, and if they know what a suppressor looks like they probably have one of their own, but most of them probably wouldn't know a scope from a choketube from a suppressor. Its legal here, there and federally.

Also, be careful handling it. If residue transfers onto your hands and you get swabbed it's all over....
No, it isn't. Been there, done that, more than once. They asked "why would your hands have residue on them?" Answer: I was on a hunting trip, it's probably from shooting my shotgun.

You have twice shown all sorts of paranoia about the TSA, I have to ask when the last time you flew to hunt or with a firearm was?

I've flown out of, connected to, or arrived in very left wing cities with onerous gun laws, as well as moderate places and rural places where they see a lot of hunters, and the closest I've gotten to real pushback is when they didn't like that I'd paced my gun case full of clothes as padding for the gun since I had to make room in my other checked bag for ducks. Once, I had a guy stop me about some frozen ducks, but he said, "its food? We're going with food. have a safe trip." Once, they lost a shotgun, but they found it and had it at my house within 5 hours of me getting home, had a courier hand deliver it.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
So, they swab your hands for gun powder/burnt powder residue?
Never in my 30 years of hunting travel. I did get detained by the "Canadian Feds", whatever you call them in Saskatoon airport. LOL. I was 26 years old and went with a buddy of mine that invited me. He was around 40 at the time, as were the other 3 guys going with us on a deer hunt. I literally didn't know where we were going, who we were hunting with, what area we were going to be in. I didn't know anything, except who I was with. They thought I was bullshitting them. It was a 2 hour standoff and they finally let me go. I'm pretty sure they searched all my bags and found hunting gear galore and figured I was telling the truth when 4 grown men were standing outside the office with red faces and mad as heck. 🤣

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
So, they swab your hands for gun powder/burnt powder residue?
Explosive residue. Also had my bag swabbed once. I’ve probably had them do it 1/2 a dozen times over the years.

Gunpowder residue can trip it, cosmetic/hair products can trip it if they contain glycerin, accelerant residue can trip it. It’s about like setting off the metal detector. If it causes you to miss your flight you were really cutting it close already. I think the time it happened and I tripped it, they then looked through my carry-on. It delayed me all of 5 minutes.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
The swab only takes a minute or two and I have asked them if reloading could possibly set it off and they didn't know crap. "We just swab and test, we don't know what causes a positive"... and our "safety" is in the hands of these idiots.... go figure...
I can tell you it probably does. To be fair, it isn’t their responsibility to know, they didn’t build it or design it. They’re trying to make sure no one gets on the plane with an underwear bomb.

They swabbed the gun case once. The older TSA guy said to the younger one, “why waste the swab? You know it’s positive.”

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I get the swab about 50% of the time and physically searched almost every time. I go through the x ray thing and because of an internal medical device it results in a pat down everytime. I hate flying.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I can tell you it probably does. To be fair, it isn’t their responsibility to know, they didn’t build it or design it. They’re trying to make sure no one gets on the plane with an underwear bomb.

They swabbed the gun case once. The older TSA guy said to the younger one, “why waste the swab? You know it’s positive.”
I wouldn't expect them to know ALL of the parameters but at least have a basic knowledge of what your doing. Otherwise your nothing but a trained Monkey putting the blocks back in the basket. Which, now that I think about it sums up their existence. That's why they get the BIG money.....

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Where are you flying out of?
At RDU I've never had any trouble. I get there an extra hour ahead of time if I'm travelling with a gun. I've always waited til they say "alright, good." You wait and they take it down the elevator to the X ray that the normal checked bags go down. Your average TSA person is a working stiff, and if they know what a suppressor looks like they probably have one of their own, but most of them probably wouldn't know a scope from a choketube from a suppressor. Its legal here, there and federally.

No, it isn't. Been there, done that, more than once. They asked "why would your hands have residue on them?" Answer: I was on a hunting trip, it's probably from shooting my shotgun.

You have twice shown all sorts of paranoia about the TSA, I have to ask when the last time you flew to hunt or with a firearm was?

I've flown out of, connected to, or arrived in very left wing cities with onerous gun laws, as well as moderate places and rural places where they see a lot of hunters, and the closest I've gotten to real pushback is when they didn't like that I'd paced my gun case full of clothes as padding for the gun since I had to make room in my other checked bag for ducks. Once, I had a guy stop me about some frozen ducks, but he said, "its food? We're going with food. have a safe trip." Once, they lost a shotgun, but they found it and had it at my house within 5 hours of me getting home, had a courier hand deliver it.
Searched the forum. Found this one, instead of starting a new one.
I’m leaving from RDU on Delta. Will be checking a firearm and a couple factory boxes of ammo. Never have before. I read Delta policy and tsa. Just figured I’d check here with folks who have done it many times. Could anyone who has give me a quick run down of procedure. Again I’m sure it’s just like what I read, but appreciate any first hand experience. And, How long before departure would you recommend getting there? Thanks.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Get there early for international or domestic travel. Go through the normal checkin procedure. Declare your unloaded firearm when you get to the counter. Sign paper stating its unloaded. Place paper in gun case. Make sure ammo is in original packaging or an ammo box. I normally put duct tape around a MTM Case Guard type box. Do not put ammo in carry on bag. If your gun case has 4 lock holes, make sure you have a lock in them.

I was held up on this one time by a richard noggin because I had 2 locks and 4 lock holes. I pulled up the TSA rule and read it to him out load. The rule said gun case can’t be pried open and gun removed. They eventually let me go, but since then I have 4 locks to avoid the idiots. You will have to wait for TSA to approve your case before you go to security. They always ask for keys. Take spare keys.

Once you get to final destination, your guns will be picked up at oversize baggage or a baggage office. You’ll have to show ID to get them.

Last edited:

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer

Not that it concerns you, but I fly about 3 to 5 times per year to hunt other states. And no, I don't have any particular issues with TSA. I do have issues with people in positions of authority that are dummer than a box of rocks and refuse to educate themselves concerning their job function.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I did get the residue swab on my hands in security this year on a trip to the Caribbean. My wife was a little startled by the procedure, but it didn't bother me, especially since I wasn't going hunting.