Travel duck hunt destinations?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
If you were going to go up to 10-11 hours driving from western NC for a guided trip, where would you go and who with?

we hit Reelfoot last year and looking at something else.

kingsize

Four Pointer
I’m planning to do the same this upcoming season. My buddies and I are looking at Arkansas or Missouri for self-guided hunts. From what I’ve heard that’s a great option if you already have the gear and just need the location.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
Matt Barnett. He may have been mentioned to you before so sorry if it’s redundant. He’s 7ish hours from here in west tn .

My group has went the last two years but we won’t be going this coming year so you may be able to get in with him. If you are wanting to you’d need to talk to him ASAP. We got our spots the march before last two years.

Feel free to pm me I can send you his number if you want.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
good one but outside of his travel duration goals,,,,

I'll hunt there one day,,,

We made the drive from Walkertown, NC to Walpole Island, Ontario last year in a shade under 11 hours. Biggest thing is making sure you have all your stuff in order to get into Canada.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Matt Barnett. He may have been mentioned to you before so sorry if it’s redundant. He’s 7ish hours from here in west tn .

My group has went the last two years but we won’t be going this coming year so you may be able to get in with him. If you are wanting to you’d need to talk to him ASAP. We got our spots the march before last two years.

Feel free to pm me I can send you his number if you want.

The absolute best duck guide you will ever hunt with. I’ve known him a long time and consider him a friend. Without a doubt, I can guarantee you he wants to kill ducks 10 x’s more than anyone else in the blind. It’s wild duck hunting, so you may not hammer’em everyday but me and my group have been hunting with him for the last 11 years. I have seen some of the most spectacular waterfowl sights many will only ever dream of seeing. His hole is considered one of the best in all of west TN. Rest assured, if you have a day you don’t kill’em, nobody else killed ducks in west TN either. His son is 10 years old and has been in that duck blind since he was 3 or 4. That kid can call ducks better than 95% of most grown men.
He’s also partnered in with Ranchland outfitters in Canada. If you wanna go to Canada, he’d be my first choice as well.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I hunt Arkansas every year, public and leased ground and have been for awhile. But west tn is solid and has been strong the past couple years

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
The absolute best duck guide you will ever hunt with. I’ve known him a long time and consider him a friend. Without a doubt, I can guarantee you he wants to kill ducks 10 x’s more than anyone else in the blind. It’s wild duck hunting, so you may not hammer’em everyday but me and my group have been hunting with him for the last 11 years. I have seen some of the most spectacular waterfowl sights many will only ever dream of seeing. His hole is considered one of the best in all of west TN. Rest assured, if you have a day you don’t kill’em, nobody else killed ducks in west TN either. His son is 10 years old and has been in that duck blind since he was 3 or 4. That kid can call ducks better than 95% of most grown men.
He’s also partnered in with Ranchland outfitters in Canada. If you wanna go to Canada, he’d be my first choice as well.
So we tried Matt. As I figured, he’s booked solid -
Speaks to his reputation.
Other suggestions?

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Maybe some of ya'll that DIY or want to, west TN and Arkansas we could plan a trip together, convoy style.

Man could you imagine the stories of the Road trip, the food stops, the hunting, and the tired race to get back home.
3 of us went to Reel foot and we had stories for each of those areas.
Love a good road trip.
2fd3596c2dbf6953d2a3f791a9bf1ade.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Maybe some of ya'll that DIY or want to, west TN and Arkansas we could plan a trip together, convoy style.

Man could you imagine the stories of the Road trip, the food stops, the hunting, and the tired race to get back home.
3 of us went to Reel foot and we had stories for each of those areas.
Love a good road trip.
2fd3596c2dbf6953d2a3f791a9bf1ade.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Next time we’re stopping at Silver Sands Soul Food instead of that hipster joint.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
I still dont get that my SIL and our buddy did not like "Hattie B's Hot Chicken" in Nashville. It had great reviews. Line was in the parking lot before they opened. Chicken was pretty hot.

2053c1d4fe309453d55b18aaaf617e84.jpg
93a3aeffba40b37f54303dcd33a99bc8.jpg

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I still dont get that my SIL and our buddy did not like "Hattie B's Hot Chicken" in Nashville. It had great reviews. Line was in the parking lot before they opened. Chicken was pretty hot.

2053c1d4fe309453d55b18aaaf617e84.jpg
93a3aeffba40b37f54303dcd33a99bc8.jpg

And don’t forget about all the gross hipsters and the best of Mariah Carey playing on repeat, oh yea and those horrible sides. Best meal we at on that trip was cooked by a 19 yo kid in the blind. But dang we had some fun.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Ranchland in Canada is an awesomely run operation. Waterfowl hunting at its finest!!

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns

I am not 100% positive but I think his dads name is Steve. I sure hope Matt is better than his dad. Hunted with Steve a couple years ago and would never do that again. Have been with several guides over the years to different parts of the country. Unfortunately they were all the same. You show up and meet the morning of the hunt, think your group is the only on in the blind. Then the guides buddies all show up, and keep showing up. You have to sit and listen to them all talk all day about all the great hints they have while you sit over a field that has been pounded every single day of the season. And the one small flock of green heads that do make it in range the guide and all his buddies shoot before your paying group gets to. And if I were going somewhere, west tennessee would be the very last place on my list. If I never see that place again it would be too soon. Been out there multiple times and was not a fan either time. I would travel to the northeast coast for sea ducks if it were me, or as someone else mentioned lake st Clair on the Canadian side. I’ve never hunted up there but spend a week there every summer and it’s heaven on earth. Would live there tomorrow if I could. The hunting/fishing up there is light years ahead of what it is down here anywhere.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. That’s his dad. I personally don’t mind the others in the blind. Matt will have 2-3 others with him.
I think His dad sold his impoundment and don’t hunt near like he used to. Whatever floats your boat. I enjoy the style and there’s been days with Matt, I wished we’d had 10 more people in the blind..........................

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
I am not 100% positive but I think his dads name is Steve. I sure hope Matt is better than his dad. Hunted with Steve a couple years ago and would never do that again. Have been with several guides over the years to different parts of the country. Unfortunately they were all the same. You show up and meet the morning of the hunt, think your group is the only on in the blind. Then the guides buddies all show up, and keep showing up. You have to sit and listen to them all talk all day about all the great hints they have while you sit over a field that has been pounded every single day of the season. And the one small flock of green heads that do make it in range the guide and all his buddies shoot before your paying group gets to. And if I were going somewhere, west tennessee would be the very last place on my list. If I never see that place again it would be too soon. Been out there multiple times and was not a fan either time. I would travel to the northeast coast for sea ducks if it were me, or as someone else mentioned lake st Clair on the Canadian side. I’ve never hunted up there but spend a week there every summer and it’s heaven on earth. Would live there tomorrow if I could. The hunting/fishing up there is light years ahead of what it is down here anywhere.

You are always just a ray of sunshine. Ive hunted west Tennessee alot, and I can say without a doubt they dont miss you.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
If it is as wet in Canada and the prairie pothole region as it is here, maybe we will have good hunting in NC. The best spots I have been in the US are Washington state/Oregon (like Roanoke said, LOTS of mallards and a 7 bird limit.) Northern Texas, Wigeon heaven. Good people, good food, great hunting. I also LOVE hunting the Canadian prairie (Alberta) I hunted with Northern Prairie Outfitters. Hands down to most experienced and focused duckmen I have ever hunted with. Every hunt was on the X, every setup was perfect. Food and lodging left a little to be desired but it was a great experience. However, this past weekend one of the two owners, Johnny Miller, was killed in an auto accident by a drunk illegal immigrant. I cannot tell you how much I like the Obregon area of Mexico with GETDUCKS.com. Lots of puddle ducks, generous limits, gracious host, good food. Set ups leave a lot to be desired but even with the wind in your face you will kill a lot more than in the states. Pintails galore.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
You are always just a ray of sunshine. Ive hunted west Tennessee alot, and I can say without a doubt they dont miss you.

I call it how it happens. In my humble opinion based off of my experiences That is the most overhyped area I’ve ever been. I would rather hunt in Hyde as dead as it is now than hunt anywhere in west tennessee. Now across the river on the Missouri side is a different story.