Trapping questions. Tracks and sign.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
I've got 2 rookie questions.
1) What made these tracks? The glove is in there for a size reference. They don't look like Opossum, Raccoon, Beaver, Otter or Muskrat to me. I can't imagine what else made them. This is a small crossover in the shallow, wooded end of a lake.
2) Does the scratching on the edge look like Muskrat damage? The rest of the lake edge is grass right to the waters edge. There are a few places where it looks like the grass is being scratched into the water.

While I appreciate correct answers, sarcastic and abusive answers are always welcome. I don't mind being a rookie, or taking my turn in the barrel.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_20181217_132909841.jpg
    IMG_20181217_132909841.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20181217_131154381.jpg
    IMG_20181217_131154381.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 95

Jammer

Six Pointer
For the size they look like mink tracks and yes muskrats will strip the sod at the waters edge.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Those long toes look more like muskrat tracks to me and the bank looks typical of muskrat activity. If the water is clear enough, you should be able to see runs in the shallows near the bank and also find the opening to their den holes. You should also be able to find a toilet area or two somewhere around the pond....think a stump or flat rock, log or something similar.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Thank you very much for the replies. From watching youtube vids I've seen what the runs look like, and been looking for them. The water is definitely clear enough to see, but there's no hint of them anywhere. There are holes in the bank at least every 100 yards, but no active trails. There are leaves and plenty of silt around them, which tells me nothing is using them.
When the season first opened I put out 3 colony traps and maybe fifteen 110s. I also put some leg holds at areas where it looked like active runs into the water. I had my traps out for 2 weeks and only caught some coons in the leg holds. Not a single muskrat.
I pulled my traps and went back to work until yesterday. I put a few traps out yesterday and plan to put some more out today. I'll try a leg hold in that crossover. We'll see what happens there.
Should I try a leg hold where they are eating the sod? It's shallow enough that they are probably standing there while dining.

Joe

Prune

Four Pointer
Infounxd to attract muskrats get ya some carrots shredded or buy some whole and chew up on sight and use it eye appeal gets them over to set...or take boot kick a pocket into bank and have a cotton ball with vanilla extract on it , they will investigate hole..and smell vanilla and gottem....apple slices work good or get mrs to make apple pie save all peelings and cores another good rat bait....and you end up with a pie ☺

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Thanks to both of you for the help.
At the risk of making myself look even dumber..... I set a trap on a crossover about 10 feet away from those tracks. I ended up scooping a pile of crap up with my hand that had lots of fish scales and tiny clam shells in it. It appears to be an older toilet, but maybe it is active and just got washed away a little with the snow melt. I hope I improve at spotting sign. Especially when it stinks a bit. :LOL:

Joe

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do not know if you meant to say older toilet or otter toilet. I suspect you meant to say otter toilet because the fish scales are a dead giveaway that it was an otter. Crossovers are good places to target otter.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the benefit of the doubt, but I was saying "older". I was thinking that because it didn't look that fresh, and really wasn't very big. There has been an Otter around though. Got a short video of him about a half mile away. There's a stream that connects the area though. Maybe that's where all his muskrats went!
Joe

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Along with some water traps I put out 2 MB550s for coyotes. I've got 2 great spots where I see lots of traffic on my trail cams. I made dirt hole sets and baited them with squirrel chunks. Used coyote poop and muskrat lure too. On the first night I caught a coon in trap #1. In trap #2 I had a walk-by with a fox and a yote. I must need lure that is a bit stinkier.
The cameras help me see how I'm goofing up. I chose good spots, but I'm not attracting to the hole.
The trap is just below the center of the frame. The tuft of grass is my backing. So is the hill.
Joe

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sometimes they are just not interested. The critters are using the area, patience grasshopper. Could be several factors in play...wind from wrong direction, lack of visual stimulation, something else had their attention. Too much stink IMO is worse than not enough. Canines have strong sniffers and can be leery of strong new smells in their territory. Critters will often check out visual holes even without bait.

If you have more traps, I would set another one with a different smell.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the reply. We'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks. I was all excited when I checked my first traps this morning. From a distance I saw the catch circle and some grey fur. I thought I had a yote, but it ended up being a grouchy raccoon instead. It was pretty funny.
Joe

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
Joe, what QBD said. Most of my coyote catches come on nights 3-5. Which tells me that once my scent is gone and the bait/lure scent has cooled off they will work the trap. I've had experienced coyote trappers tell me the same thing. The put very little bait and lure at their sets. Not trying to hijack the thread but does anybody know where I can view trail cam pics/video of a coyote working a set?

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the advice. I'm keeping the faith! Last night I had deer as visitors at both my MB550s. I though one dopey spike was gonna get his nose pinched for sure.
Joe

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
This mornings catch made fox #14 for the season for me. Ten of them have came off our family farm. I have had several 1st night catches this year. Most have been in remakes the night after the first catch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JoeR

Eight Pointer
I caught a raccoon in this set a couple of days ago. I remade it and then had a bunch of rain. This coyote takes a brief interest, maybe from the scent of dispatching the 'coon, but doesn't commit to the set.
I think I'm going to switch bait and lure at one set.
I sure wish i had saved some of those groudhogs I snagged a while back!
Joe

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
I caught a raccoon in this set a couple of days ago. I remade it and then had a bunch of rain. This coyote takes a brief interest, maybe from the scent of dispatching the 'coon, but doesn't commit to the set.
I think I'm going to switch bait and lure at one set.
I sure wish i had saved some of those groudhogs I snagged a while back!
Joe

We are in the month of December, i catch very few coyotes in this month. I read in OGormans hoofbeats of a wolfer that during this month he even has problems catching them. He says he uses blind sets and snares this month. I know we can't use snares here. I usually just keep on fox trapping for now. Jan 14 th is usually when i start catching a few yoties.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
I've trapped for several years but still consider myself a newbie. I have struggled this year. Can't catch a yote to save my life and I have them all over the property I'm trapping. Part of the problem is bears. One bear works my new sets every dang night. Not sure how to take care of this. The other problem is I catch myself doing the same type of set each time. So here's the questions: How do y'all change things up? Do you make different sets in January compared to December?
Do you change trap locations after a week of inactivity? Just looking for some ideas. My apologies to the OP if I have hijacked the thread but I figured that if I have these questions maybe several folks do. Thanks.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
I've trapped for several years but still consider myself a newbie. I have struggled this year. Can't catch a yote to save my life and I have them all over the property I'm trapping. Part of the problem is bears. One bear works my new sets every dang night. Not sure how to take care of this. The other problem is I catch myself doing the same type of set each time. So here's the questions: How do y'all change things up? Do you make different sets in January compared to December?
Do you change trap locations after a week of inactivity? Just looking for some ideas. My apologies to the OP if I have hijacked the thread but I figured that if I have these questions maybe several folks do. Thanks.
I use a pee post, i have found that i'll catch more on a pee post than anything else. Use something that is natural and already there. I have found that a yote dont care too much for something new that was brought in. If i use a skull set, it will usually take at least a week to connect.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Be careful buying in to the coyote is scared of everything / don’t like new stuff opinion. Lots of first night catches prove that false. My catch slows down right now due to the number of gut piles in my area. It’s a freaking buffet right now for them. How long has that trap been in that spot?

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
Steelshot, I usually let them soak for 7 days without re-scenting/baiting unless we've had heavy rain. I usually get catches days 4-7. Unfortunately with the heavy rains this year it's impossible to get more than 3 dry days. Also, the area I trap is very wet, so much so, that I have to bed my traps with soil I bring in. I've tried bedding with peat but just could not make it work. As soon as deer season is over, I'll take some carcasses I've saved and bury them. Been real successful with that.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Take a deer leg an bury it where the hoof is just outta the dirt. Bed trap accordingly and give it a shot of piss.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Got a video of a black yote at trap #1. Got several vids of trap #2 getting investigated, but from the wrong direction. At least I'm getting good interest.

Joe

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He is showing you how to catch him. Make adjustments accordingly. The direction of approach could be wind direction related or it could be something else. The videos I have watched indicate that they tend to approach from above rather than from below on uneven ground. Sort of seems backwards but that is what your video shows as well. You sure have a location with quite a bit of activity and the yotes are curious but do not seem to have made the commitment to work the set yet.

Still, a well blended trap on the top side might just be the ticket to put a cuff on him.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
He is showing you how to catch him. Make adjustments accordingly. The direction of approach could be wind direction related or it could be something else. The videos I have watched indicate that they tend to approach from above rather than from below on uneven ground. Sort of seems backwards but that is what your video shows as well. You sure have a location with quite a bit of activity and the yotes are curious but do not seem to have made the commitment to work the set yet.

Still, a well blended trap on the top side might just be the ticket to put a cuff on him.

At trap number 2, where the videos are much clearer, the trap is located on a dam. There is a series of ponds, and this is the bottom dam. It is wide enough to drive a truck across it, but that's it. The camera is facing across the dam (it runs left/right) and the yotes are running along it. They can walk towards the camera, and into the woods, but not away from it unless they want to swim. This morning I re-did all the baits. If I strike out again I will switch the location to the edge of the dam where I can control the approach a little better.
Thanks again for the help! This is fun so far.
Joe

Prune

Four Pointer
If there running the road.set that location.I set alot right in middle of the road.Put it where there gonna be and you'll get .If location is off 20ft thats 20ft they didnt wanna be at

Attachments

• IMG_08601.jpg
    IMG_08601.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 31

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dams are generally good locations as they provide the path of least resistance. They sure do not want to swim and below the dam is thicket in a lot of cases. I like to set near the ends of the dam and use a pre-hooked drag so the trap bed does not get torn up by a catch.

This female worked a dirthole in the center of a two track near the end of a dam. The drag was pre hooked to a sweetgum at the waters edge. When I pulled up on the 4 wheeler, she backed into the water trying to get away from me but it did not work.

I bedded the trap right back in the same trap bed, ready for the next one.
IMG_20170221_111925.jpg