Trapping Adventures with Prune Part II

Jammer

Six Pointer
Yesterday was a bust but we did alright today. We had another gray where we had the double earlier in the week and a skinny female cat where we caught the yote. This cat was plenty long but it looked like she has been on a super model diet. Oh and we had her by a single toe.
IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_1876.JPG

Jammer

Six Pointer
Seems like we are on an every other day cycle. Nothing yesterday and 2 coons today. The first was a dink so we released it. Man it sure is fun trying to get a catch pole on a coon. If you've never done it, give it a try sometime. Their dang hands are too grabby and once you get the loop past the hands you can't keep the loop around the neck. Just when I thought I had him good Prune stepped on the dp. So then the dang coon wasn't in the trap AND he wasn't actually in the catch pole loop. We were just glad he wasn't in a scrapping mood and just jumped in the creek to swim away.

The second coon was a back foot catch in a foothold. At least it was a nice sized boar, It was also a sandy location so we didn't have a mudball with eyes.
IMG_1879.JPG

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Seems like we are on an every other day cycle. Nothing yesterday and 2 coons today. The first was a dink so we released it. Man it sure is fun trying to get a catch pole on a coon. If you've never done it, give it a try sometime. Their dang hands are too grabby and once you get the loop past the hands you can't keep the loop around the neck. Just when I thought I had him good Prune stepped on the dp. So then the dang coon wasn't in the trap AND he wasn't actually in the catch pole loop. We were just glad he wasn't in a scrapping mood and just jumped in the creek to swim away.

The second coon was a back foot catch in a foothold. At least it was a nice sized boar, It was also a sandy location so we didn't have a mudball with eyes.
View attachment 24484
Haha sounds like a ride. Have y’all noticed that fox are pretty relaxed with the catch pole. The one we had practically lowered his head to put the loop around it

Jammer

Six Pointer
Seems like the reds want to run away and the grays are feisty. Hard to get the loop around them because they want to bite it and If they get ahold of it, well there goes another five minutes of fighting to get it back.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Seems like the reds want to run away and the grays are feisty. Hard to get the loop around them because they want to bite it and If they get ahold of it, well there goes another five minutes of fighting to get it back.
Gotcha. I only caught one so far and it was a red. After I got the trap off him, he kept laying there cuz he didn’t understand so I had to yell at him so he’d go back to the woods

Jammer

Six Pointer
The every other day turned into every 5 days. Prune pulled all the sets to prep for a move after the upcoming rain and cold spell. No sense in having to check wet or frozen traps. We are heading to new tracts on Monday. We haven’t seen the yote sign like we have in years past but we did hammer them the last couple years. Guess we thinned them out pretty good. There is a lot of good sign on the new places.

We did have a couple critters though. A nice coon and an ugly bobcat. It’s a large Tom but he has a dark back and almost no spots on his belly. Prune says it’s the ugliest he has ever caught.
c5e53e29d09132f290fb48455279e5c2.jpg

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
The every other day turned into every 5 days. Prune pulled all the sets to prep for a move after the upcoming rain and cold spell. No sense in having to check wet or frozen traps. We are heading to new tracts on Monday. We haven’t seen the yote sign like we have in years past but we did hammer them the last couple years. Guess we thinned them out pretty good. There is a lot of good sign on the new places.

We did have a couple critters though. A nice coon and an ugly bobcat. It’s a large Tom but he has a dark back and almost no spots on his belly. Prune says it’s the ugliest he has ever caught.
c5e53e29d09132f290fb48455279e5c2.jpg

He’s got some big mitts on him!

Jammer

Six Pointer
It's been a slow week. Until today all we've had was a couple non-targets and a silver sable. I thought today would follow suit after the first farm was a bust but as I crested the rise on the second farm I saw a grey with a bracelet. There are at least a couple more there as I saw 3 different sets of new tracks. The last stop had a very aggressive and very vocal yote. That is until I got the catch pole on it. As soon as I cinched down it rolled over on it's back and turned into lump of jello. I like it when they quit fighting. It's only the 2nd yote of the season.
IMG_1916.JPGIMG_1918.JPG