Trap Tags Question

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I've ordered just a few traps to get my feet wet with trapping and see how things go. Since I only got 3 traps, I'd like to just get 3 trap tags, but all the trapping suppliers I've looked at sell the tags as 25 or 50 tags being the smallest amount you can order. Is there any way or place that I can just get 3 tags from?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just get the 25 or more
They get damaged, you can use them for other stuff like fishing, jug.......

How would you like to run more than 3?
Be glad to help you out with some more. Got a bunch setting around.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Is there any way or place that I can just get 3 tags from?

go by Godwins on 211 (either Godwin's archery or Godwins Outdoors)

tell them what you want on a tag,,,they will do up three tags for you I expect

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Kris, looks like you will be moving so I suggest you get your new address before you get many tags. Also, the bill in the General Assembly that allows use of a number instead of your name and address has passed but is still going through the process of the Governors signature/veto. If it clears that (and I expect it will) the new regulation has an effective date of Oct. !, 2019. Name and address will still be acceptable but that is another factor to consider.

My recommendation would be the following write on tags until you decide how you want to go in a more permanent fashion.
https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Trap+Tags/Zinc+Trap+Tags+(Write-On)+25+Pack These are also available from other suppliers. I just picked one to show you as an example.

These are not as sturdy as the copper or brass tags but will work. Even the copper ones I use get damaged and have to be replaced from time to time.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Kris, let me know if ya want a pack from Southeastern, but will be calling them with my order in bout a week.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Wow, thank you! Things are still up in the air here
Kris, looks like you will be moving so I suggest you get your new address before you get many tags. Also, the bill in the General Assembly that allows use of a number instead of your name and address has passed but is still going through the process of the Governors signature/veto. If it clears that (and I expect it will) the new regulation has an effective date of Oct. !, 2019. Name and address will still be acceptable but that is another factor to consider.

My recommendation would be the following write on tags until you decide how you want to go in a more permanent fashion.
https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Trap+Tags/Zinc+Trap+Tags+(Write-On)+25+Pack These are also available from other suppliers. I just picked one to show you as an example.

These are not as sturdy as the copper or brass tags but will work. Even the copper ones I use get damaged and have to be replaced from time to time.

Those are all good ideas. Thank you! I'll see about getting those write-on zinc tags from 41magnum and Southeastern. Hope that bill passes. I'd feel better about writing my WRC # on the tag than my address!

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Just get the 25 or more
They get damaged, you can use them for other stuff like fishing, jug.......

How would you like to run more than 3?
Be glad to help you out with some more. Got a bunch setting around.

Possibly! Will PM you when things get settled.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The governor signed the bill into law yesterday. The following is the text of the trap tag change:

Has a weather-resistant permanent tag attached legibly giving the trapper's name and address or the trapper's trapper identification number provided by the Wildlife Resources Commission and the Wildlife Resources Commission's telephone number to report wildlife violations. If a trapper places a trap on the property of another that gives the trapper's trapper identification number instead of the trapper's name and address, the Wildlife Resources Commission shall disclose the identity of the trapper to the landowner upon the landowner's request.

It has an effective date of Oct. 1, 2019. Not sure how long it will take for the WRC to assign the unique number to all licensed trappers.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Incorrect sir! They will assign a unique number to each trapping license holder that will be tied to the WRC number. The unique number will remain the same year after year.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
The governor signed the bill into law yesterday. The following is the text of the trap tag change:

It has an effective date of Oct. 1, 2019. Not sure how long it will take for the WRC to assign the unique number to all licensed trappers.

Thank you! I did not realize they will issue a unique number to put on the tags instead of your WRC customer number. Very good to know.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The permanent paint pens in the art section at Walmart will hold up with those zinc tags for years to come, sometimes even better than the aluminum or copper ones.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
GREAT,,,,:( yet another number to keep up with,,,,,
They intentionally set it up that way so that somebody who sees your trap can't automatically access your big game tags and whatnot that are linked to your customer number. Basically it's a fraud prevention thing.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns

In Kentucky they set up a link on the website where you put your information in and it automatically assigned your ID #. I'm assuming that NC will do something similar, but I'm not sure since I've been out of the loop for a while.

Hines

Spike
As long as your address hasn’t changed they’re still good.

Understood, but i want the unique number instead of my direct name and address. I don't think I have anything to worry about, but I plan on trapping on public land and just want to take any extra precaution I can with stuff like that.

I'm itching to pull the trigger on the lifetime trapper license, maybe they will update the online site before November!

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I saw a post on the NCTA forum that basically said the Trapper ID # will be issued when you renew your license, and the lifetime license should be available starting in January. Maybe somebody more in the loop will expand on that here.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I saw a post on the NCTA forum that basically said the Trapper ID # will be issued when you renew your license, and the lifetime license should be available starting in January. Maybe somebody more in the loop will expand on that here.

I renewed a week ago and no such luck

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Effective date for the Trap Tag change is Oct., 1, 2019 but that does not mean that the WRC will have the systems in place to implement it on Oct., 1.

Same deal with the new annual WDCA license.

The lifetime Trapping License became law on Sept., 1, 2019 but they are not available yet.

I am hearing it may be the first of the year before the systems are in place to actually implement these changes.