transporting deer across va nc state line

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
i hunted in a club that is 90 percent in nc but on the back of one tract of land they have 500 acres in va only accessable at end of fire trail 100 percent in nc......i have both liscense so i was able to go on that property during hunt ...if i killed it in va the only way to get it out is to drag it 300 yards across state line to get to truck to get it out so what would be the legal way to procede if i would have killed one

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
i hunted in a club that is 90 percent in nc but on the back of one tract of land they have 500 acres in va only accessable at end of fire trail 100 percent in nc......i have both liscense so i was able to go on that property during hunt ...if i killed it in va the only way to get it out is to drag it 300 yards across state line to get to truck to get it out so what would be the legal way to procede if i would have killed one
Just lock the gate behind you when you go in ;)

Reactions: PG2

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Seriously, that deer you shot was in NC just a few minutes ago when it was alive. If a GW writes you for that, they need to be looking for a new career field. No way I'm boning that deer out in the field, and I'd call and tell him that myself.

Reactions: Bud

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
cant dogs would go have a feast and wouldnt come out ..the only way to keep it 'legal' is to check it as a carolina kill even though it was taken in virginia dam regulation nation

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I thought it was very stupid for the regulations to change, not allowing deer killed in border counties not being allowed to be brought into NC. Email the folks, at the NCWRC, biologist, commissioners and enforcement. They will just state the law, but let them know how it makes no sense in some cases when hunting occurs in border counties.

Other than getting the law changed only other legal options are boning out or figuring a way to take it out on the Virginia side.

Might give your state senator and representative a call above about how crazy this law is.

Last edited:

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
We can call whomever all we want, they won't change a thing. I live just over the NC line but hunt just over the SC border and I have to clean my deer on SC property to comply with the law. But everybody knows Waccamaw River Basin deer on the border live in both states.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yeap,,bone it,,,I have a club in same situation on SC border - half in SC/Half in NC,,,,no sense flirting with disaster