Training.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I have seen several adds for pup training mostly coon dogs. And I’ve been seeing it more and more people actually interested. Personally a broke guy like me never would consider it. But it kinda got me thinking hey I could actually do what these people are doing and make a lil money at it. And no I’m not banking on getting rich. But maybe enough I wouldn’t have to mow yards everyday after work. Most adds I’ve seen have ranged 4-600$ plus a bah of food. And that gets 30 nights in the timber. I kinda just wanted to see what you guys thought about the idea?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
been many a fellow made money training coonhounds...Full Cry and American Cooner used to have ads every month

I used to think on that some,,,even did a financial plan on it,,,

there's a fellow in Missouri making a living selling started and finished beagles,,,,when he announces some are ready they go like hotcakes,,,

I say if you have the place to keep them, places to hunt,,and the wherewithal to actually do it (some didn't) then go for it

I'd get general liability insurance for it, in case some fellows coonhound dies/gets' hit or otherwise dead - hate to have to bear that cost

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I didn’t even think of that side of it. I don’t know that I’d even know where to get insurance for something like that. Maybe I need to call Jake from State Farm?
I have seen many adds people selling started and finished dogs at very high prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A man would have to be blessed with some very good hunting close to his house to make it work and do the dogs justice. I was short on good places to hunt within a driveable distance for a week night hunt. Got tired of hunting on small blocks and constantly watching the Garmin. Gameland was hit or miss, mostly miss between hikers and campers messing with my dogs. My private land held some coons but I was riding an hour or more and usually hunting alone, thats no fun not to mention dangerous. Long story short I got out of the tree dogs. No doubt I'll miss it this fall and winter.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
Well I’m actually blessed to live on 90+ acres of timber also with very good neighbors with larger tracts of land. And several smaller tracts fairly close not to mention game lands. I can say I’ve been blessed on that side of it for sure

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well I’m actually blessed to live on 90+ acres of timber also with very good neighbors with larger tracts of land. And several smaller tracts fairly close not to mention game lands. I can say I’ve been blessed on that side of it for sure

Lucky man.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I did it starting squirrel dogs but only in a training pen. What you have to think about is the liability of what happens if you get a dog splattered on the road in today's sue happy society. I know folks that do it and they are super hard hunters. They earn every cent of their money.

I know a guy here in NC that does it that is somewhat less scrupulous and he has taken some folks for a ride over the years. There were several folks out for his hide at one time.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I did it starting squirrel dogs but only in a training pen. What you have to think about is the liability of what happens if you get a dog splattered on the road in today's sue happy society. I know folks that do it and they are super hard hunters. They earn every cent of their money.

I know a guy here in NC that does it that is somewhat less scrupulous and he has taken some folks for a ride over the years. There were several folks out for his hide at one time.

Yea I’ll definitely be looking in to liability insurance before hand. I guess that’ll really determine rather or night I proceed with more then just an idea ya know.

silvertip

Six Pointer
I used to take a young dog for different guys I knew when I hunted a lot if I wasn't working on one of my own. Never tried to make any money just tell them not responsible for accidents. Always looked at it like if I was going might as well take along a pup with a broke dog and let it learn.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The guys that I know that break coon hounds, have a pen they break the dogs in. My kennel partner took his bluetick to him. Finding time to put him in the woods this time of year is hard, being it is his money making season.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
The guys that I know that break coon hounds, have a pen they break the dogs in. My kennel partner took his bluetick to him. Finding time to put him in the woods this time of year is hard, being it is his money making season.

Just curious how high of a fence do you need for a coon pen? I’m not really looking at finishing a hound. If I finish a hound I’d be to attach after the many many many hours spend with it.
I know we’ve mentioned insurance. Does anybody know what/where I should be looking for ?

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I used to take a young dog for different guys I knew when I hunted a lot if I wasn't working on one of my own. Never tried to make any money just tell them not responsible for accidents. Always looked at it like if I was going might as well take along a pup with a broke dog and let it learn.

That’s the same way I look at it. I’m gonna be out anyway might as well take a pup with a broke dog.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Just curious how high of a fence do you need for a coon pen? I’m not really looking at finishing a hound. If I finish a hound I’d be to attach after the many many many hours spend with it.
I know we’ve mentioned insurance. Does anybody know what/where I should be looking for ?

on the fence - high enough to keep dogs in,,,ain't keeping coons in much,,,fellow I knew had one did releases and he also had a cool "coon travel system" up in the trees,,,but it was mostly sight chases in there,,,

reference insurance,,,sent you a PM,,,glad to help through that (and no, I don't hustle insurance!!)

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
on the fence - high enough to keep dogs in,,,ain't keeping coons in much,,,fellow I knew had one did releases and he also had a cool "coon travel system" up in the trees,,,but it was mostly sight chases in there,,,

reference insurance,,,sent you a PM,,,glad to help through that (and no, I don't hustle insurance!!)

I would think that pen training would really only get you so far like you said mostly sight chases. I appreciate any and all the advice/help. Thanks guys

silvertip

Six Pointer
My cousin has 8 acre pen with 6ft rubbercoated wire similar to chicken wire buried in the ground and a hot wire on top, without any trees close to the perimeter. His Dad built it and always just put pups in there and let them run loose on there own, never put a old dog in there.
They will learn a lot more like that, than standing in a lot getting to go a couple hours a night 3 or 4 times a week.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
If I decide to do this I may end up building a pen over time. I guess the hot wire kept coons from climbing the fence?

silvertip

Six Pointer
Yea it helped keep them in, he took a dozer and went all the way around before he started fencing and didn't have any trees close to the fence.
He spent a lot of time and money building this.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
No doubt fencing 8 acres ain’t cheap no matter what kind of wire is being used.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The fence looks just like that of a fox pen. About 6 feet high, with a foot turned in. I'm sure there is wire on the ground and hot wire on the fence too. No trees close to either side of the fence.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I know a man that operated the same. Could be one and the same....