Training collar

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I’m looking for suggestions on a training collars on a budget. If I had the money I’d just go buy a new tri tronics
Looking for one with shock tone and vib
Thanks in advance !

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It's not really on a budget, but the Garmin Alpha has been some of the best money I've spent in a long time.
I have seen some used ones for sale at outdoordogsupply, but they don't usually last long.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I’ve talked about the alpha for few years now. Just a lot of money to part with right now. Currently running the 320 and works great but I just need a training collar

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I’m looking for suggestions on a training collars on a budget. If I had the money I’d just go buy a new tri tronics
Looking for one with shock tone and vib
Thanks in advance !
What budget? How many dogs? What kind of range? For simplicity I was happy with the Sportdog. Now I have the 550+ and it's pretty slick. The non-GPS version of that is the Garmin Pro 70.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
No more the 200$. I’ve ran across a sport dog 425xs for 115$ still in the box any of y’all used this before? I’d only be training one dog at a time

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I just can't see the point in not going with an Alpha. You get a training, tracking and get your butt out of the woods all in one unit. For the price it is darn cheap. So much so I have two.
An alpha is is in my future. But for now it’s a lot to part with right now. I like the idea of one unit no doubt. But you know how it is make do with what you’ve got ya know

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
An alpha is is in my future. But for now it’s a lot to part with right now. I like the idea of one unit no doubt. But you know how it is make do with what you’ve got ya know
Yep, and to be quite honest I also know if you buy something else you will put it off once again. Any DECENT 1 mile system will cost you darn close to what you can buy a refurbished Alpha with that will have a warranty. You would still have to buy a collar but you would be set. Yes it is more money but then you could turn around and sell that 320 outfit you are currently running and recoup quit a bit of your investment in the Alpha system.

You aren't gonna get a whole lot of compassion from someone that has to have two alphas, 10 collars a drive track and a long range antenna to load up every time I head out. I am not going to do the math on that but it adds up. That ain't counting the back up telemetry system I strap on them also.

Reactions: RJ1

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Call the lady at west coast telemetry and tell her your situation. I was in the same spot a couple years ago and I traded in a 320 to get an alpha. You will be surprised at what a trade in get you. Some also take trade ins and will finance the difference.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, and to be quite honest I also know if you buy something else you will put it off once again. Any DECENT 1 mile system will cost you darn close to what you can buy a refurbished Alpha with that will have a warranty. You would still have to buy a collar but you would be set. Yes it is more money but then you could turn around and sell that 320 outfit you are currently running and recoup quit a bit of your investment in the Alpha system.

You aren't gonna get a whole lot of compassion from someone that has to have two alphas, 10 collars a drive track and a long range antenna to load up every time I head out. I am not going to do the math on that but it adds up. That ain't counting the back up telemetry system I strap on them also.
you need to breed dogs with longer necks :ROFLMAO:

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
Haha I may have too! I will eventually pick up an alpha but I think I’m gonna try out the sport dog unit 100$ if it works great if it don’t I’ll send it on down the road. The range on it is 800 yards. If I have to correct the dog past that I guess I’ll just walk closer haha. Maybe at the first of the year I’ll grab an alpha Maybe for Christmas? I need to run that by the wife! Haha

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They make piggyback units that actually go on the same collar but if you think about it that is kinda putting all your eggs in one basket. Loose one collar and loose all your tracking.

Every time a dog bails off my tailgate deer hunting they all have three collars on with my name, two phone numbers, and my address on each one. Not much chance of someone ever saying they found one of my dogs with no ID in good conscience nor saying I would put a dog out trying to run under the radar.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Ive seen several Alphas with multiple collars for sale on FB in the last few days on group sites for various dog breeds. Reasonable pricing.
Some guys get in half-heartedly and end up dumping their gear cheap.

I got my brand new Old Dry Pond box exactly the same way for $200

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I have had good luck with Sportdog brand collars. I only have a lab now but if I still had hog dogs or hounds I would have the Garmin collars.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive seen several Alphas with multiple collars for sale on FB in the last few days on group sites for various dog breeds. Reasonable pricing.
Some guys get in half-heartedly and end up dumping their gear cheap.

I got my brand new Old Dry Pond box exactly the same way for $200
Most of those are scams, they have been running rampant.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I don’t even own the first dog and I’ve got an Alpha:oops::cool:
Using it as a handheld GPS?

I wish I had bought one instead of the Garmin Montana a few years ago. From what I've read the Alpha will do everything the Montana does and then some.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Most of those are scams, they have been running rampant.

Maybe.....Im just going off people I have a personal connection with. Plenty of gear to be had if you know where to look, whether it be collars, tree stands or bows. All sorts of quitters out there. 😉

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
If you are just looking for a training collar and not one that tracks also I would recommend the SportDog brand. I have a 425 for training and I enjoy the simplicity of it and it wasn't overly expensive. Tracking I use a Dogtra Pathfinder. That is another topic all together. Hope this helps.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I just picked up a SportDog 425 got it for 100$ still in the box. Ain’t got it in the woods yet but got high hopes for it. Here in a year or two I plan to upgrade to an alpha. But this should serve it’s purpose till then haha. Thanks for the input fellers

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I’ve been using a Dogtra arc for 5 years now. It doesn’t have tone but does have vib. It would be nice if it had a light but it has been a great unit.