Trainer recommendations?

dunno

Spike
Looking for a gun dog trainer within 3-4 hours of Raleigh area. I have a 4 month old Boykin spaniel that I would like to send off to training shortly.

Any recommendations for those with experience with Boykin? Seems like most of Boykin experienced ones are in GA and SC.

Will be doing waterfowl and dove hunting, also participate in hunt test in off season.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are several guys on here with Boykins that can better respond to you than me. I couldn't afford a trainer and did my own training. I do know there is a guy east of Raleigh that has some experience training Boykins by the name of Blaine Tarnecki (sp).

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
Jeff Floyd at Tar River Retrievers in Ayden. He trains labs, but he also specializes in spaniels. Boykins, Springers, Irish, and field breed English Cockers. Jeff also has lots of ducks and quail on his training grounds. You don't have to go with a trainer that specializes in spaniels, but definitely use a good one that has experience with them (as mentioned, Billy Mosley would also be a fine choice). These aren't labs or chessies and you have to be able to read the dog and know how much pressure they can take. They are hard headed dogs and need some pressure, but I've seen some spaniels that were ruined.

http://www.tarriverretrievers.com/

Last edited:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Jeff Floyd at Tar River Retrievers in Ayden. He trains labs, but he also specializes in spaniels. Boykins, Springers, Irish, and field breed English Cockers. Jeff also has lots of ducks and quail on his training grounds. You don't have to go with a trainer that specializes in spaniels, but definitely use a good one that has experience with them (as mentioned, Billy Mosley would also be a fine choice). These aren't labs or chessies and you have to be able to read the dog and know how much pressure they can take. They are hard headed dogs and need some pressure, but I've seen some spaniels that were ruined.

Nice looking training facility!

Huntandfish

Button Buck
Scott Brotherton, Bluefield kennels in Mooresville trained my Boykin and I couldn't be happier. He really has a way with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns

Another vote for Jeff Floyd. He had my Boykin for a while doing the dirty work (collar, force fetch etc.....). Jeff knows retrievers but he really knows spaniels!!

ginn68

Button Buck
Older post I know, but Keith Pittman (Pinelog kennels) is very good with boykins. Helped me get over some hurdles with sitting to the flush/whistle

Jsrich1102

Button Buck
I been looking at Tar river for a cocker and training. i am hearing alot of good thing about him as a trainer. how is the cocker or other dogs that he breeds?

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I been looking at Tar river for a cocker and training. i am hearing alot of good thing about him as a trainer. how is the cocker or other dogs that he breeds?

Good field bred cockers are in line with good Boykins. Good retrievers and good flushers but it’s easy to get a dud if you don’t do your due diligence looking. Jeff’s should all be hard driving pups with good guns dog potential.