Trailer & Bearing Question

TomstoSwans486

Six Pointer
Hey guys, I got a really good deal on a 12 ft jon boat with Magic Tilt trailer from a neighbor. Long story short, he quit fishing, so I took it from him for a low price.

I was looking over and it has buddy bearings on it (I have never used these), the ones with the blue middle. I noticed one wheel had some black specs and grease on the buddy bearing cap (the other is dry and clean). When I took off the dust cap there was watery grease coming out of the spring on the buddy bearing, some amount in the cap too. Now my first thought is water got in, and maybe the bearings are bad? My questions are on maintenance for this - as I've never done a full hub or bearing replacement.
1. Would you replace the entire hub and buy a new buddy bearing? Would that be easier (cheaper in the long-run) than just replacing the bearings? And would you consider doing the other hub as well?
2. My other thought was just to refill with grease...but I know there is a concern of mixing the 2 kinds (calcium and some other) - so how do you know so you don't screw it up?
3. Lastly, any grease guns you guys recommend? And is the zerk fitting universal or do I need to know the specific size?

Appreciate the help

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would refill with grease and drive it several miles, and give it the hub heat test (wrap you hand around it), and compare the two hubs. If near ambient temp, everything is OK, IMO.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How far will you be traveling and how are your rescue options? Country roads and no problem getting help if needed...grease and rock on. 95 on your fishing trip to Florida....I would be fixing the best way possible. There are variables in play.

Dan in NC

Eight Pointer
Contributor
The grease should have kept water away from bearings if it was pumped full. Pump it full of grease , drive a few miles test heat. If not hot run it. For a trip away from home I would buy a replacement hub with bearings and carry like a spare tire. If you really question the bearings its easy to replace bearings and races.

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
Tires and bearings make a fishing trip! When I buy a trailer in question like you have mentioned it gets bearings, seals, and races. If the old bearings aren’t bad once removed they get repacked by hand and put into a ziplock bag and put in the truck in case of a road side emergency with the new bearings. I also purchase a new set of seals to put with the old ones in the truck cause you will more than likely destroy the ones you remove. Just my over cautious advice! All kinds of videos on YouTube and etrailer.com has some really good videos as well as parts. I highly recommend the seal and race tool they sale.

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
Tires and bearings make a fishing trip! When I buy a trailer in question like you have mentioned it gets bearings, seals, and races. If the old bearings aren’t bad once removed they get repacked by hand and put into a ziplock bag and put in the truck in case of a road side emergency with the new bearings. I also purchase a new set of seals to put with the old ones in the truck cause you will more than likely destroy the ones you remove. Just my over cautious advice! All kinds of videos on YouTube and etrailer.com has some really good videos as well as parts. I highly recommend the seal and race tool they sale.
Also go back Lucas marine grease for what it is worth.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
1. Would you replace the entire hub and buy a new buddy bearing? Would that be easier (cheaper in the long-run) than just replacing the bearings? And would you consider doing the other hub as well?
2. My other thought was just to refill with grease...but I know there is a concern of mixing the 2 kinds (calcium and some other) - so how do you know so you don't screw it up?
3. Lastly, any grease guns you guys recommend? And is the zerk fitting universal or do I need to know the specific size?

Appreciate the help
1. I'd take it apart to see what I needed. Look at the bearings and races closely to see if they are damaged at all. If so, I'd just do bearings and races.
2. I don't mix greases. They are not all compatible. Grease is cheap and easy to replace in a hub.
3. Zerks are a pretty universal size. Any grease gun should be fine but use the same grease you put in the hubs.

4. Answers to un-asked questions: Pack the bearings like you're supposed to. Fill the hubs with grease as completely as you can if you plan to re-use the bearing buddys. Put new seals in the hubs too. They're also inexpensive. I don't replace the whole hubs if I don't have to because it's unlikely any new hub will be as good as what's on there already. Bearings and races are easy to install.

Joe

TomstoSwans486

Six Pointer
Awesome, thanks guys. That's what I'm thinking I'll do - worth the extra work to ensure it's done right. I'll repack and take a look and see how they look. Do you recommend any certain bearing, race and seal kit? Or is just an over the counter like at tractor supply good to use?

Also - yes, I will use Lucas as I've used that before. I will likely trailer no more than 150 miles round trip on long trips via highway, but it's definitely worth having some peace of mind on the road.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Jack it up and spin the wheel. Listen. Hear any chatter? Yes, change the bearings and races. Heat test next. I check the hubs by touching to see how hot they are. I do this all the time when I'm towing and stop. Just habit I guess. I like to replace the hub and all. I use a marine grease that is more resistant to "wash" out. I take the old hub and bearings and place into a container, usually from the new hubs. I check them out good then store them along with the tools necessary to change hub in the tow vehicle or boat. That way I have a spare set of need be.

TomstoSwans486

Six Pointer
Jack it up and spin the wheel. Listen. Hear any chatter? Yes, change the bearings and races. Heat test next. I check the hubs by touching to see how hot they are. I do this all the time when I'm towing and stop. Just habit I guess. I like to replace the hub and all. I use a marine grease that is more resistant to "wash" out. I take the old hub and bearings and place into a container, usually from the new hubs. I check them out good then store them along with the tools necessary to change hub in the tow vehicle or boat. That way I have a spare set of need be.
Thanks - I did do that this morning, jacked up - both axles and wheels spin, no noise and very slight movement when I rock. Did a 15 mile cruise for about 30 minutes too. Got home and hubs were not hot. So I hope all is good. I will likely still take apart and inspect bearings, and at a minimum repack and grease up. The grease I believe is low, as the blue "Filler indicator" on the bearing buddy is not able to be moved at all. So I'll top it off. I'll also do that - buy a set to keep in the truck every time I'm out. Appreciate the insight and as they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Look out when adding grease to those buddy bearings. If you pump em full, it will blow the rear seals and it will sling grease on the inside of the rim when they get up to temp, and it will let water in the back of the hub