Tractor Value

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
What is a good way to find or assess a value of a tractor? A lady who gave me permission to hunt her property has a tractor that has set idle for years and she doesn't have a clue what the value is but is interested in selling it. She says it ran well before her husband passed but hadn't been used since.

I've been considering getting one to help with food plots but I know very little about tractor maintenance and have only driven one a few times. In looking it over it is a 40S model. The data plate is so faded I can't make out anything on it. The back tires look to be in good condition but the front tires are dry rotted. Gas tank is bone dry and the battery is missing. I'm sure there are other issues unknown but the hoses look to be in good condition with no cracking or signs of rotting.

Any thoughts or ideas on what this is worth and if it would be worth the hassle?

IMG_20230314_194333.jpg

NCBulldog

Spike
tractor house.com has some for sale, but a few kinda look like show pieces
tractor data.com will tell you original sale price of any tractor ever made

mudflap

Ten Pointer
Do your research, my cousin bought a john deere 330 25 years ago in the same condition. He restored, and realized it was a rare model with a few added options. I know he turned down $30,000 after restoration.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
That particular one is a 1950’s Johnny Popper, after distinct sound of two cylinder. The non running condition of that one is $1500 easy.

It’s got its limits, really short on horsepower for anything serious but a handful of hours annually it will fit bill. I know I’m spoiled and certainly wouldn’t want to ride one all day but restoring would be a simple joy.

Stupid simple mechanically but parts may be another story. Love the sound but wear ear plugs.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For a working tractor you should run away quickly! If you want a cool show piece money pit I wouldn't pay over $1500 for it as @bwfarms said and plan on dumping $3k-5k in it. It looks good though.

Hawkeye

Ten Pointer
I say other commets are spot on. Except for Mooses, he must be color blind. LOL...
Low on hp and not easy tractors to get on and off of.
Tires for the tractors are not cheap either. Once they sit for years you never know what you are getting. 1500 dollars is fair if she would let you get it running before you buy it.

They can look good redone but you have to do all the work yourself.

Attachments

• 20170616_151053.jpg
    20170616_151053.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 50

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The biggest PITA on that tractor is magneto parts are beginning to get hard to find. Used to be there were places or people that did nothing but repair/rebuild of them. With them phased out replacement parts (surprise) have just about completely went overseas and the supply chain has became terrible. I know of three different people that folks sent them to in the last year have packed it in because of that.

I am a member of several groups of two cyl JD collectors, those engines were used on thousands of tractors as well as crawlers and dozers. They (crawlers and dozers) are my weakness. Most of the time luckily it is just points condensers and or coils and they are still easily available.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seems that everyone is shying away from the food plot use. If you have relatively small plots and plenty of time to play, it should be fine. We played with food plots for a few years with a 140. It took time and patience, but overall it did pretty well. I wouldnt recommend much cutting with them. The rotary cutters are pretty rough on the little tractors.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Thanks everyone for the responses. Sounds like it would be best for me to steer clear. If anyone is interested in taking this on as a project, send me a PM and I'll put you in contact with the owner.

Cornbread

Eight Pointer
I have had several 40 series 2 cylinders, a couple of 40 T’s, a 40 s and a 40 U, great little tractors, they have live hydraulics but does not have live pto, would be a good food plot tractor and they are pretty simple to work on

Fudd

Four Pointer
I have had a 1968 Ford 3000 diesel that has done all that I need to do for the last 25 years and still going strong.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have one just like it. My wife's grandfather left it to me. We were constantly working on that thing. I finally just parked it many years ago and still sets.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That particular one is a 1950’s Johnny Popper, after distinct sound of two cylinder. The non running condition of that one is $1500 easy.

It’s got its limits, really short on horsepower for anything serious but a handful of hours annually it will fit bill. I know I’m spoiled and certainly wouldn’t want to ride one all day but restoring would be a simple joy.

Stupid simple mechanically but parts may be another story. Love the sound but wear ear plugs.

Not to mention the steering wheel can be a knuckle and hand buster in a rocky field.