Tracking Down A Sentimental Car

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Anyone have any experience? My pop’s passed when I was 17. Ate up by cancer and passed at 39. He and I worked on every vehicle together. He gave up a lot to provide normalcy to a couple “At Risk” boys while his own upbringing was awful. He reconnected with parents that let him be taken by protective services as an 18 yo along with his 2 oldest siblings while his parents moved south to NY and raised the younger 3. I even stayed with my grandfather a few years while in HS to attend a better school. Dad started out working for Grandpa and ended up hiring him back at a net loss. Shirt off his back type. Needless to say, I was insulated from all the “bad”. I remember he had a car, a red Dodge Dart convertible with a “snap” roof along the windshield. I know he lost the clutch and sold it for $200. It was a dream of his and is priceless to me. Mom can’t even find a pic. Does anyone know of a way to track it down? Maybe using his old DL number? Mom might have that. With the young ages she’s only 59 so only going back 30 yearsish. I’ve not been near where we started in that long and it’s rural NY/VT so who knows. I’d resurrect a frame at this point if I could confirm it’s the right car.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Should say he was taken young but moved south to find his parents at 18. He spoke only French but as a kid I don’t recall him ever knowing any French so guess he “Americanized” pretty quick. I was once almost killed as a passenger when two cars racing on a Sunday morning almost hit Mom and I head on. He came along after and the car in our “lane” on the dirt road had flipped off an embankment. The still drunk 20 somethings couldn’t get out so he pried their door to help them out knowing their actions had almost killed 1/2 the family. Probably would’ve fixed their crushed bronco or given them his truck if they needed it. Probably where I get a shred of humanity from.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Long story longer, a pretty unique name for the US so a search or if I can get his DL number could either help? Guessing I’m chasing a rotted skeleton but that’s ok if I find it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd search semi local car clubs, especially those that focus on Mopar stuff.
Those guys really pride themselves on the history of the car they restored. Since it's a car that some might find desirable there's at least a small chance.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I also wanted to try and find my first car, a '68 Mustang fastback I bought in 1972 and sold with a broke 302 engine in 1975.
I had no luck without the VIN . Good luck in your search.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
I kept my first car (1966 Plymouth barracuda formula S with 4 speed) had built a 340 and had fender well headers until late 80s. Sold it to my brother with a promise if he ever wanted to get rid of it I got it back. He pulled the motor and trans and put in his 67 barracuda and over the years he let it sit and let a dog raise pups in it. He moved several times and later I was on a job site out of Morganton and seen it sitting across the road at a scrap yard. Made me sick

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will concur with others that pretty much anything less than the VIN will be chasing smoke. Drivers licenses numbers are not attached to vehicle registrations, so that will not work. Best thing at this point will probably be your moms memory of who, what, where and when. Good luck in your search.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
So I’m screwed, thanks for confirming, mom couldn’t remember the model
Until I reminded her and I was 5-6 at most then, no pics I know of, I’ll try finding a local mopar club and hope to catch a break, thanks for the advice

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Longshots, but you might reach out to government agencies covering registrations/tags, tax offices or maybe even the local insurance office, if you know who that was, to find a VIN. Particularly if you get the chance to go in person. Sometimes old records are digitized, sometimes discarded or sometimes they are sitting in a file somewhere. A friendly clerk on a slow day can make a big difference! Good luck!