Tracking dog Union co, rain caught me

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
Shot a doe this evening around 645, rain came in and killed my ability to track, any trackers near pageland line union county

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
I did not, did not get pass through and she ran off with my arrow. Shot placement was good, but I should have waited for her to take one more step with her front left leg. Pretty sure arrow got stuck in opposite shoulder. It began raining so I did not find blood, but because it wasn't a pass through, not much blood was going to come out anyways. I think i'm ready to get rid of my old school fixed muzzys and go to mechanical. 3rd does i've lost in 5 years because of the same scenario.

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
Already said I was at fault by not letting the deer take another step. I've always shot fixed muzzys and I have seen entrance wounds from my fixed broadheads and I've seen entrance wounds from a mechanical broadhead. Entrance wound from my fixed broadheads has never been as big as the entrance wound from any mechanical that I've ever seen. I've killed deer with fixed broadheads, but would like to see for myself what a mechanical broadhead can do.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
In the end only you know of course, and I’m not here to pass judgment. You probably didn’t need my .02$ but just being up front.

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
In the end only you know of course, and I’m not here to pass judgment. You probably didn’t need my .02$ but just being up front.

I agree with all of yalls comments, I don't think that the broadhead was the issue, I think a mechanical would have got stuck in that off shoulder too. Just curious if an entrance wound from a mechanical would have given me at least a little more blood to look for.

In the end it can be seen as a learning lesson on making sure the off leg/shoulder is clear before releasing my shot.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I did not, did not get pass through and she ran off with my arrow. Shot placement was good, but I should have waited for her to take one more step with her front left leg. Pretty sure arrow got stuck in opposite shoulder. It began raining so I did not find blood, but because it wasn't a pass through, not much blood was going to come out anyways. I think i'm ready to get rid of my old school fixed muzzys and go to mechanical. 3rd does i've lost in 5 years because of the same scenario.
Did you end up putting a dog on it?

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I agree with all of yalls comments, I don't think that the broadhead was the issue, I think a mechanical would have got stuck in that off shoulder too. Just curious if an entrance wound from a mechanical would have given me at least a little more blood to look for.

In the end it can be seen as a learning lesson on making sure the off leg/shoulder is clear before releasing my shot.
I don’t pick my broadhead for a blood trail I pick one that will kill fast and effective every time.

that doe in my opinion I shot high but she was close to exit was middle of ribs she didn’t show a drop of blood until she flipped on her back and rolled back down the hill…. But that’s fine because she was in eye sight maybe 50 yards

Attachments

• AA1AAB3C-FB34-4B8D-8CC0-4F24F33CE912.jpeg
    AA1AAB3C-FB34-4B8D-8CC0-4F24F33CE912.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 16

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I agree with above, not the broad heads fault but I would ditch the Muzzys. I’ve found them to be dull and leave poor blood trails. If sticking with fixed I’d shoot slick tricks.

My question is arrow weight. I’ve shot thru many a NC does shoulders, both of em with mechanicals and gotten pass-thru. Just something to think about. Heavier will penetrate much better.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Have you been back to the area yet?

I think it's a good chance you hit vitals if you had good entry placement, and it got stuck in the off side shoulder. Probably enough vitals that she didn't go far. She was probably bleeding pretty good inside once they start running that broadhead tears up everything inside the cavity. If you go back to the area and look for buzzards as well as smell for rotten meat you'll probably find it pretty close to where it was shot.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Why bother to look again? Meat is ruined anyway. May be good to know what happened for future reference but unfortunately nothing would be salvageable at this point with the daytime temps.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Why bother to look again? Meat is ruined anyway. May be good to know what happened for future reference but unfortunately nothing would be salvageable at this point with the daytime temps.

More for learning experience than anything else. My point is that a little more effort in tracking would have likely resulted in a recovered deer when the meat was still good.

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
Just a follow up on this doe I shot. I found her this weekend about 75 yards passed where I stopped looking the Monday night in the rain. She had crossed over a dried creek bed and bedded down in a thicket. Total distance from point of impact to spot where I found her was right at 320 yds. I did not think she would have made it out of the creek bed to the otherside, wrong i was.