Track 1 today

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Cooper was 2/2 today. Both tracks took a lot of work. FIRST TRACK, started 2 pm at 21 hour mark, 100 yards of blood tracked by the hunter and his friend they searched last night and this morning all over in the direction deer ran. Cooper tracked to 20 yards before last blood and took a left onto a power line and then right headed down powerline, he worked that area but came back to last blood and took us straight, 150 yards further we came to a road and he did not show that he wanted to cross and was no longer tracking, more searching. I picked him up and restarted at first blood, this time he got to last blood and took another 90 degree left turn then right turn and headed down powerline. He tracked very confidently weaving through tall grass marsh for 400 yards, then took a left an dropped down canal bank and swam across, he then came back up to my side. At that time I smelled something bad and didn't know if it was that water or a deer but it was so thick I couldn't see anything so we went back out to powerline where he tracked lil further down, jumped a small creek where I could see buck tracks then left into a thicket. With a 30 foot lead, he was chewing on the deer for a whole minute before I could get to him. Big buck. Good guys.

502164DF- (1).jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Man that dog needs his own column on here. I really enjoy reading about his finds!!!
I do have some stuff under the dog tracker contacts topic stickied at top of deer hunting forum. Cooper's killing it though, none have been easy. I didn't feel like crossing some of the stuff he did today and he's got a 6 inch leg.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Jeff, you know what I think of your and Cooper's work. Was just telling a guy yesterday about you and showing him some of the training videos. He's he kind of guy that will need you one day. Another one that needs to spend a lot more time on the bow and gun before the season starts. I sure hope some of those deer you are having to find were results of deflected arrows.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Cooper is the man!!

Looks like you get just as much enjoyment out of this as you do hunting.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Million Dollar Dog at work. You can train a dog to track but the really good ones have that extra something special and Coopers got it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Cooper's brother in Maine got his 100th recovery today. He tracks Moose, Bear and Deer, they are 3 years old. One of the best tracking teams in the country.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Y’all do some incredible work. Being able to pick up and repeat and be one with your dogs decisions is amazing. A real bond.

If you don’t mind, share where these deer are shot.

Cheers and keep up the awesome work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
This track was gut, and when I say gut I mean stomach, not intestine. All 8 recoveries this year included the stomach and 1 included intestine. Track 2 in other thread was the best shot I've tracked and it went 300 yards and included liver and 1 lung, it also had gut smell on arrow, that was the only track that included a lung. Gut = difficult to sight track, holes plug up and people don't have the patience to wait the recommended 10 hours before tracking a stomach hit. Intestine only hits can live 2+ days. FB_IMG_1601873325188.jpg

I love reading your tracking stories because it helps me understand what deer do when shot marginally. It’s amazing they usually do and go, where us hunters don’t suspect them to go. I know just taking with you and hearing your experiences helped me recover my deer.
Congrats on the recovery! You and your dog are making hunters smile!!