Toyota, Tundra Emissions(Secondary Air Induction System) and Limp Mode

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
My 2008 Tundra has done this twice. Anyone else had this issue? Hope I have mine fixed for good this time.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think almost all of the older ones have had that happen. My 07 did and my sons 08 did it two times. Toyota fixed it on their dime and extended the warranty for that problem. I think they finally got it fixed so it does not happen again. Something about water getting into the system IIRC.

Mine happened about the time of the Fukashima Tsunami that took out the nuclear plant and disrupted the supply form the factory that made them. Toyota paid the rental on a truck for a month for me while waiting for the parts to come in.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Isn't there a bypass for it?
Yes, "for off-road use only". It is working fine now. I ask them at Toyota what the fix would cost? The reply was around $2K. Mine was never fixed correctly the first time as they only reimbursed me for repairs, I had made. This time I called Toyota and explained to them it was never fixed "correctly". In short I just got the run around. Well, it's fixed now with at less than 20% of what Toyota wanted, just had to do it myself.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I just wanted people to know there are other options, just have to do a little work and research yourself. I might could even give a few helpful hints. ;)

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Sold my taco for the same reason.

Less than 60k and they told me$ 5000 for the 2 valves and blow dryer.
Not covered under warranty
I put up a fight for a few weeks and after many calls and wasted time they fixed it.
It about got me killed pulling out in trafic and had thd motor shut down.
I dumped it off the next week. It was a POS 2012.taco.
Was in the shop a bunch several recalls bad springs.......
They did not change the system up to 2016.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
I just wanted people to know there are other options, just have to do a little work and research yourself. I might could even give a few helpful hints. ;)
My 07 engine light came on, said it was this issue. I had just gotten it back in January only 90k miles called toyota said warranty was out nothing they could do, it was on my dime. What will it hurt to not fix it? Guy at autozone said just wouldnt pass emissions test but im in a safety only inspection county.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
If you don't fix it some way and the truck goes into limp mode your real restricted and how fast you can go so that's an issue if you find an alternative way to fix it for off-road use than it hurts nothing

Reactions: DRS

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Mines fixed, but I wanna say the warranty on mine was 150k.

On the off chance it does it again, it'll have the delete on it;)

Reactions: DRS

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
My 07 engine light came on, said it was this issue. I had just gotten it back in January only 90k miles called toyota said warranty was out nothing they could do, it was on my dime. What will it hurt to not fix it? Guy at autozone said just wouldnt pass emissions test but im in a safety only inspection county.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The second time I just kept resetting the ECU(ECM) to get it out of limp mode, it finally just gave a check engine light. I drove it for a while, then bam back into limp mode. Reset the ECU and a few miles down the road, back into limp mode. Had to have it fixed to be able to drive anywhere with out going into limp mode. Other than this emissions issue, this has been an awesome truck. 228,000 and still going strong. Tires even still wear even and never have had the front end touched and still rides great. Yea, I use it hunting too. I ain't easy on a truck either, just try to keep them maintained well. I would buy another tomorrow if I had to.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Mines fixed, but I wanna say the warranty on mine was 150k.

On the off chance it does it again, it'll have the delete on it;)
The warranty was 150K or 10 years on 2007-2010 Tundras.

This was my compliant to Toyota because my entire system was not fixed and could have been the cause of the second failure.
"For 1GR/1UR/3UR vehicles - If moisture/water is found to be present in the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves, it is imperative that all air pumps and the emission control valves are replaced. All parts listed for the applicable model in T-SB-0160-11 must be replaced in order to ensure the condition is properly addressed. Failure to replace all parts may result in comeback repairs. " But they just gave me the run around. If any of this information helps another person out, mission accomplished.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The only reason these trucks had it was to fool and pass the EPA. Numbers.
That is it. Same motor in 2011 on the taco did not have the pump or valve system. Toyota did not want to upgrade or replace the motor before 2016 using all the old and outdated stuff. They then in 2012 had to add the valves and pump to keep using the outdated motor. Between 2012 and 2016 there were many problems with the system.
People like me that would fight it had their system replaced for free, others that took the comments it is out of warranty and we will replace or repair for x paid the money.
I took it up to NTSB and filed a high level safety complaint.
As stated a soon as I got it back it went away.
It was not worth the risk to have it go out when pulling into traffic and get hit.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
my 2008 Tundra never had that issue with 200,000 miles I hope the 2017 I have now doesn't either

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Same on my 05 4wd. Went to limp mode once about 150,000 miles ago. Lights/error code pops up 95% of the time but no more limp mode. Now driving at 345,000 miles and never had another problem except this stupid secondary system. As stated above, there is a cheap fix compared to the 1000's required to repair the system.