Tower stand /elevated box blind Best for my dad

gobbler

Eight Pointer
My dad is getting up in years, he’ll be 76 this September and I worry about him crawling up in his small homemade ladder stand, so I’ve been thinking of getting him something much safer like an elevatedenclosed box stand,

It needs to be atleast 14’ for him to be able to see the entire field, I’ve been looking at the rednecks but there pricey, I looked at the shadow hunters but there not far behind on price and I’m not sure there if the same quality, I really like that extended porch that they offer so it’s safer for him to get in and out of the thing and the red neck has handrails up the ladder, what else is out there or what do ya’ll recommend?

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
All of them are going to be expensive...you could custom build one yourself out of wood, but you will still probably have $4-500 in it.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Yeah I know there pricey but they will last, I don t mind paying I just wanna get the best bang for my buck, if I went the wood route, in few years I’d have to build again, I’d prefer to spend the cash and be done with it, and I’m sure those prefab stands are nicer than anything I could build, and I wouldn’t worry about it falling down with him in it, my carpentry skills are not the best, anyone on here have any experience with these prefabricated elevated box blinds?

Andrewd

Six Pointer
I’ve got some wood stands that have been in woods for at least 15 years. Just use treated wood and paint it real good. I would recommend using elevators for the legs. I’ve got one that’s on 16 foot 4x4s and it’s rock solid.

DCD77

Four Pointer
I have 2 of the Redneck blinds on the 10’ towers. Very safe and secure. Not too bad to assemble. Got 2 buddies to help me stand them up

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Checkout Hunters Comfort blinds made here in NC. They make a good product at a lower price than many of the big names you see advertised. Insulated, quiet, and airtight for scent control.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I bought one of the sportsman guide can’t remember the name. They have a 4x4 and 4x6. The 4x6 is huge, almost too big hard to shoot out both sides without scooting char to other side. If for only one person the 4x4 is fine. The 4x6 is great for 2 hunters.

They are about $1000. Just add 4x4s at whatever length you want, brace it and add legs. Plywood for floor is helpful too and some carpet.

Shamrock7326

Four Pointer
Checkout Hunters Comfort blinds made here in NC. They make a good product at a lower price than many of the big names you see advertised. Insulated, quiet, and airtight for scent control.
Vote me in on hunters comfort, been wanting to pull the trigger

SM270

Ten Pointer
Check out Intimidator Hunting Blinds. We are ordering 2 of these in the next couple weeks and building our own platforms. Local product too!

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Any of the blinds. I would be concentrating and steps, stairs or ladders. And and 16ft, steps are going to be important.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Oh I am, I like the fact that the redneck has handrails all the way up the steps plus with the porch extension it gives a nice wide secure area to get in and out of it, I’m gonna call that company in mt Gilead Monday though, there 15 minutes from my house, never knew they were there either till this thread

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Raptor, Hunters Comfort and Intimidator/Hughes are all NC companies, with very different construction and materials and at completely different price points.

Hughes are plastic, thin, and the doors and windows are low quality. We have one. It will probably be our last. You can buy two or more for the cost of one Hunters Comfort.

Hunters Comfort are wood construction encased in about 2.5” of high density foam. This makes them highly insulated and very quiet. They have a high quality door and windows. Buy your own lumber to elevate and with a little skill you can build any kind of ladder or steps/platform you want. They are a little on the heavy side and will require a little paint on the roof every few years. We have two of them. You can buy two and the lumber to elevate for the cost of one Raptor.

Raptor blinds I have not personally used. They look to be an all-aluminum blind. From what I can tell they look like they would be very high quality and low maintenance. I like the towers. Not sure how many heights are available. They are in a different price point than the other two. More comparable in price to the big names.

I would say it really depends on how much you want to spend, whether you are willing to do some work yourself or want it turn key, and maintenance/longevity.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Once I get it up I don’t wanna have to be repainting and worry about things rotting or rusting through, those all aluminum sound like the trick, wood
These folks make a good looking box stand..View attachment 44905View attachment 44906

There also make the most expensive blind I have yet to price!! I could send him to hunt Canada and Illinois for two seasons during the rut for what that thing costs!

estaton

Button Buck
These are the stands that we hunt out of. We make them our self. Contact Ron Pruitt at 910-658-8358 if interested.

Attachments

• Tower Stand.jpg
    Tower Stand.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 47

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They are very easy to build, even with less than optimal carpenter skills. I few 2x4s to build walls and have the local metal company cut your metal to your specifications and you can have the box done easily in less than a day's work.
You can always have someone locally build and raise the platform , built to the dimensions of your box walls, and then put it all together up on the platform for you.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Just figured I’d give ya’ll an update, I went with the 5’x5 redneck blind on a 15’ stand with the porch extension, it’s real nice . but a true pain to put the stand together, atleast for me following what little instructions came with it, it took three of us all day8am to 8pm to get it set up, but it is nice

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just figured I’d give ya’ll an update, I went with the 5’x5 redneck blind on a 15’ stand with the porch extension, it’s real nice . but a true pain to put the stand together, atleast for me following what little instructions came with it, it took three of us all day8am to 8pm to get it set up, but it is nice
steps, stairs, ladder? got any pics of the final product?

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I can see you're a good son and your father has been a good dad.....hope yall have many good hunts together!!

gobbler

Eight Pointer
steps, stairs, ladder? got any pics of the final product?
It’s got a ladder that’s at about a 60 degree angle and I bought the extra handrails so it’s got them on both sides, very secure feeling as you go up, and that porch extension with railing makes getting in and out real nice , I’ll see if I can get ya’ll a pic in the next week or two

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I’ve got some wood stands that have been in woods for at least 15 years. Just use treated wood and paint it real good. I would recommend using elevators for the legs. I’ve got one that’s on 16 foot 4x4s and it’s rock solid.

I use elevators on mine as well...we have 6 scattered on 3 different propertys…..this is one.....i have 2 for my dad with steps....all are 10ft'ers...only one is in the woods, the rest are fields or gas lines......we use the bottoms for turkey blinds in the spring.......this one is 13 years old.....i got about 300 in it.

20121209_100912.jpg

outdrsmn

Six Pointer
My dad is getting up in years, he’ll be 76 this September and I worry about him crawling up in his small homemade ladder stand, so I’ve been thinking of getting him something much safer like an elevatedenclosed box stand,

It needs to be atleast 14’ for him to be able to see the entire field, I’ve been looking at the rednecks but there pricey, I looked at the shadow hunters but there not far behind on price and I’m not sure there if the same quality, I really like that extended porch that they offer so it’s safer for him to get in and out of the thing and the red neck has handrails up the ladder, what else is out there or what do ya’ll recommend?

Bulid it and use a porta potty

Attachments

• 20190914_134158.jpg
    20190914_134158.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 25