Touristas

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I just wanted to put this out there because I know a lot of people on this forum are still working for a living. Cap'n Frank and I have two times when we do not go out on his boat even if the weather is perfect. They are weekends and holidays (usually the entire week of the holiday). He has been fishing here for nigh on 40 years now so he knows the area and the so-called rules of the water. I'm not saying everyone who takes their boat out on these times is not a safe and ethical fisherman or recreational boater, but there seem to be a lot of them that either don't know or don't care and that makes it less fun for serious fishermen. Not to mention the dreaded jet skis and tubers. Anyway, we are both retired and can pick and choose when we go out so we both agree to leave the water to those whose opportunities are more limited. That way we don't contribute to the traffic and we still have plenty of days when we can go in relative peace. I have to add that we only go in mild seas and good winds, just because we can. I feel pretty confident that any boaters/fishermen or fisherwomen on this forum are serious and safe on the water. Just my $00.02.

Attachments

• cap'n frank boat.jpg
    cap'n frank boat.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 109

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I wish so bad i could be on the water mid week, but work schedule and family obligations only dictate for me to get out on weekends most of the time. Its a bit of an epidemic everywhere, not just the coast. It seems like more people own boats than i can ever remember, but most don't take the time to learn proper use and ethics on the water. I could rant for hours about the things ive seen, but ill leave that for another day. I envy you sir, i can guarantee if i plan a trip to the coast to fish its blowing SW at 25 kts and 4 to 6 ft seas.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Now that I am retired, I will not fish weekends or holidays. But the same can be said about the traffic here (Wilmington). Difference is, the road traffic is bad all 7 days of the week.
I will say, don't fish times or areas where the jet skis or tubers go. You won't find a jet ski or tuber where I was this morning!

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is exactly one of the reasons I don't get to fish as much as I'd like to. I hate contending with the Boat Ramp Idiots and inconsiderate recreational boaters that inundate the waterways on the weekends and holidays. I'm still working, so during the summer, my fishing is pretty much confined to mid-week afternoons when the weather is right and I have time. Now, if I can find an out of the way place to launch my kayak, I will occasionally go on the weekend. That's one of the things I look forward to in retirement.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
It is the main reason I stick with my 5 canoes, 2 yaks and 12' Jon. I can take them places most bigger boats cannot go.
Saturdays , Holidays No Problem.

redbow

Ten Pointer
Not sure I understand the purpose of your post. I am glad you have the luxury of fishing when you choose. Others do not have that choice and must fish when they can.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Fish, hunt, sleep, travel......... it is all a perk of working and taking care of your business and growing old. Maybe he just meant it as encouragement since he did say that he know a lot of the forum was still in the work force.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Fish, hunt, sleep, travel......... it is all a perk of working and taking care of your business and growing old. Maybe he just meant it as encouragement since he did say that he know a lot of the forum was still in the work force.
That was exactly my point. I sympathize with serious fisherpersons who still work and must put up with the traffic and the " boat ramp idiots" as Soilman so aptly put it.