Tough season...

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Weather sucked, rut sucked, deer were nocturnal, you name it. It was absolutely the toughest season I could remember since the 1980's. Managed to get a couple deer although I am not sure how I got lucky those days as everything started off bad. THis evening for kicks and giggles I sat and watched a spot I knew a buck had been hanging and right at dark he decided to show this evening. A day earlier and my son would have had a chance at his first buck. He tried really hard but something went wrong everytime. Oh well, at least we have several months to get ready for next season!

ScLowCountry

Six Pointer
I also had the toughest season to date here in the low country of SC. Every wma was underwater. I managed to fill the freezer and forgot one decent buck. But I only saw less than 15 deer this year on wma.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
October was a too dang hot to hunt. November was a good month for me as normal. December sucked, didn't see a deer the whole month. Finally had some does showing up the last few weeks after seeing none since early November but they were all after dark.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Only 8 months and it's game on.

Let the count down begin!

I agree, it was my worst year to date (as a seasoned hunter) Saw 7 deer in 43 sits. 1st deer I saw I hit, but never recovered it. He was a nice buck. I couldn't wait for it to be over. That's the 1st time thats happened in 20 years of deer hunting. I did however fill both buck tags.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It wasn't a good one for me for various reasons and I had no "target" bucks on camera in any of my little spots. As usual my hunting spots all had some sort of drama and that's never fun when you're trying to just enjoy yourself and chill out.
During ML season I killed a deer that I typically wouldn't even think about shooting (but he's very tasty)and that never sits well with me to start a season out with an ooops. The sad thing is, there's still the same stuff going on now and next season's spots aren't any more secure than this season was , actually they are even less secure so that will be hanging over my head all summer while I wait it out to see if I have places to hunt each year.
All in all my freezer is full of deer meat and I had some good times with friends so I count it a successful year, no one got hurt and there's turkey season right around the corner.....if I have a place tp chase them :unsure:

PS: I've still got a trip to Bama coming up soon so I can't count the deer season as closed for me yet. It's amazing how a big ol Bama buck can make an otherwise poor season look a whole lot better.

GarrisonS

Spike
I saw a few scrapes today wandering around. But I honestly saw the least amount of deer sign be it scrapes and rubs this year I’ve ever seen. However I saw decent deer on camera, just little sign in the woods scouting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
It wasn't my best season, either. I saw deer every sit during archery season, then November rolled around and its like everything vanished. I had to go hit up my public land spots just so I could see a deer, because my private lease went to pot. Honestly, I am glad my private land didn't treat me well, it was the final push I needed to give it up. Heading out tI some public land tomorrow to scout and shoot squirrels.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
I did not see a deer after Thanksgiving, but 2 weeks of muzzle-loading and 1 week of rifle season was as good as I have seen in years. I killed a buck and a doe Thanksgiving week, and honestly, did not hunt very many days after that, which contributes to not seeing anything.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I am about ashamed to admit it but I haven't even killed a deer. First year in 25 yrs of hunting that i haven't killed one in NC. Gonna go to VA tomorrow and Saturday to try and get one. Passed on 2 really pretty bucks two times each.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I am about ashamed to admit it but I haven't even killed a deer. First year in 25 yrs of hunting that i haven't killed one in NC. Gonna go to VA tomorrow and Saturday to try and get one. Passed on 2 really pretty bucks two times each.
I'd have to look it up but I think I have killed 1 deer in 4yrs.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We had one good week of rut other than that it was a weird year. Got lucky and killed two 8 points but it was just luck killed them in 2 days. Had a hot doe that stayed in one area if hadn’t been for her not sure I’d have killed anything worth shooting.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Work and life and weather hinders every one.We filled the freezers but it was hard.Seen fewer deer this season than ever.To hot,rain almost every weekend, flooding, not much of a rut,it was early in my woods last week of October, after that they went nocturnal. December was worst ever.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
Tough season here too. Took my grandson back today to do some squirrel hunting and he had a buck chase a doe by him this afternoon. Why wouldn't he come by during open season? Hope he makes it until next year.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
It was tough for me as well. Didn't hunt until opening of rifle. Did kill a decent 6pt(main 8 with no brows) and doe, but just didn't see the amount of deer like years passed. Now need to prepare for next season.

ditchbank

Banned
It did suck. I killed deer and saw deer. I just hate damp wet humid weather. I like cold calm crisp mornings and we didn’t have very many of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: jug

dropnbassonu

Four Pointer
Man, I must be the odd ball here. This was one of my best and most productive seasons yet. First time I've tagged out on quality bucks and passed on a ton of smaller 8s and lower. In year's past, I easily would have shot 4-5 of them but I passed hoping they'd survive the season to mature a little more. Aside from a short stint early December I saw deer on every sit.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think this was our worst year at Albemarle hunt club in Scotland county since I have been a member. Too wet. Too much water. Seen more deer in Rockingham county but only 1 decent buck.
Lack of acorns and rain hurt me up there. More deer was killed around my place in Harnett this season. That was only because of all the soybeans though. I would say Average season. I am lucky to be hunting in 3 different areas of the state.

ditchbank

Banned
Man, I must be the odd ball here. This was one of my best and most productive seasons yet. First time I've tagged out on quality bucks and passed on a ton of smaller 8s and lower. In year's past, I easily would have shot 4-5 of them but I passed hoping they'd survive the season to mature a little more. Aside from a short stint early December I saw deer on every sit.

I also saw deer but the hunting wAsnt fun to me. The bucks I killed were on clear crisp cold mornings like I like. With plenty of high pressure. The rest of the season I saw deer but not the usual numbers. But then again I have deer like some of you have squirrels. What region of NC are you in?

dropnbassonu

Four Pointer
I also saw deer but the hunting wAsnt fun to me. The bucks I killed were on clear crisp cold mornings like I like. With plenty of high pressure. The rest of the season I saw deer but not the usual numbers. But then again I have deer like some of you have squirrels. What region of NC are you in?

I guess I didn't qualify my statement as thoroughly as I could have. About 2.5 months ago my wife was diagnosed with advanced stage 3 breast cancer. We're now in the 2nd regimen of chemo that is weekly for 12 weeks. For most people it probably doesn't make much sense, but I spent more time hunting this season just to get away and rest my mind, recharge, and refocus on the things that matter most. Luckily family lives close by and my mom is always willing to lend a helping hand with the kids, who are 6 & 8. I probably hunted once a week, which is a lot for me as a stay at home dad. Maybe the deer are this active every year but I just never see it b/c I'm not in the woods. Who knows, all I know is I saw more deer, and especially 2-3yr old bucks than I've ever seen in a season. I'm hunting in Wilkes, btw.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I spent more time tracking deer with my dog for others then I did hunting. 25 tracks, 8 recoveries, multiple trail advancements and confirmed live deer tracked. I hunted 6 times and killed 2 P&Y deer. My wife killed her first buck and I spent 5/6 days with my son hunting with his crossbow once he had holiday break from school. He learned a lot, I'd have to say since it was my first time having my son out with him as the triggerman, it was my favorite season. And finding others deer for them felt better then finding my own.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk