Touch up a Vaquero Front Sight

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
It doesn't make it thicker, but I ain't payin $80 for a dayum sight sleeve in brass. But, it helps ya put the top 1/3 of the sight over the groove in the top strap like yer sposed to with 45 Colt (about 1/2 sight over the top strap with 38/357 or other smallish calibers).DSCN5034.JPG

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
That looks nice. Care to share the details?

Ever gold fill a line on a front sight for elevation adjustments? I recall seeing that done on silhouette guns back when I was a lot younger.

<>< Fish

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ever gold fill a line on a front sight for elevation adjustments? I recall seeing that done on silhouette guns back when I was a lot younger.

Did that to a Ruger Super Blackawk back around 1990 when I was shooting Hunters Silhoutte competitions out in Washington State

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Was just looking to improve visibility with low effort and no significant changes from factory configuration. So saw out and square a notch and tin the edge. Same with a slicing from half hard brass square rod. Lightly clamp and heat. File and smooth.

Now it can be seen better for traditional sighting or modern way - which is to file it to a set load and distance (enough brass there to be visible after some filling)

But probably mostly.....because it's a bit different seems reason enough.