Topsail surf fishing

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
Had a good vacation last week, caught a mixed bag of fish off the surf. Wish I had more time to surf fish but I’m typically a once a year fisherman. 1- Slot Puppy drum several flounder in the 14”-15” range, decent trout,small to decent pompano, whiting and several big blues. I haven’t seen blues that big (24”-27”) in years. I like to use hand tied double drop rigs using 15-25lb fluorocarbon line. The blues shred that so I had to buy some steel set ups while the blues were around. Most of the fish hit shrimp but the flounder and blues liked the cut up finger mullet that I caught in the surf using a cast net. The big blues were around earlier in the week when the wind was NE’ with cooler temps. I fried fish several nights for supper. I know several guys turn their noses up to blues but when fried up not long after catching IMO they are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0f56d0f5e227bb27d4a1b88806dcda96.jpg

Last edited:

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
I had better luck also about 3 to 4 hours before high tide or I guess you could say the incoming tide. Several mornings the timing was perfect with the tide coming in at daybreak. I fished in “holes” that you could locate during the low tide. Sometimes it’s only a foot or two difference in the depth of water in that “hole” but fish preferred those areas. I realize most of you guys know this stuff already but I wanted to throw it out there for any guys like me that read up on the forum periodically to learn stuff before heading East. Thanks to all that share their how too’s and experiences on the the forum!

13a994c3dc074732fe04693fe708e44e.jpg

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
I was down, all summer, fishing Seaview Pier, up until, 2 Sundays ago. They're catching the big Drum, off the end, at night, when the water gets stirred up....Which, lately, has been quite a bit.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Got a buddy that lives there and fishes seaview about every day. Said the yearling bite has been good but haven’t been a whole lot of bigger fish yet.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I King Fish, with Scott. Gaffed that 32 lb'er he caught.

I guess that would depend, on the definition, of a "Bigger Fish" They've caught quite a few, over 40, in the last 3 weeks.

You’d know better than I would. Just going off what he’s told me, and pics I’ve seen from him and a few other buddies. Seems like they had some good fish a few weeks ago, but was told and shown pics of mostly mid 30s stuff this past week with a sprinkling of a few good ones in there.

man I love Scott. He went back to back a couple days in a row there on Kings didn’t he? Was just talking to Howard a few minutes ago and he was telling me they been catching a bunch of drum, though I don’t think he realizes I talk to Scott as much as I do lol

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, sea view they have been catching them 12 midnight to 5am or so......got a buddy who fishes it a lot and he leaves Durham at 9pm and is home at 8am and has caught quite a few this year...

Had a good vacation last week, caught a mixed bag of fish off the surf. Wish I had more time to surf fish but I’m typically a once a year fisherman. 1- Slot Puppy drum several flounder in the 14”-15” range, decent trout,small to decent pompano, whiting and several big blues. I haven’t seen blues that big (24”-27”) in years. I like to use hand tied double drop rigs using 15-25lb fluorocarbon line. The blues shred that so I had to buy some steel set ups while the blues were around. Most of the fish hit shrimp but the flounder and blues liked the cut up finger mullet that I caught in the surf using a cast net. The big blues were around earlier in the week when the wind was NE’ with cooler temps. I fried fish several nights for supper. I know several guys turn their noses up to blues but when fried up not long after catching IMO they are great.

Nice .....I’m with ya blues a pretty good if caught and cooked same day

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer

Nothing wrong with fresh fried bluefish! I always bleed mine by cutting them under the gills. I've fed them to folks and they couldn't believe they were bluefish 😂