Tool Cabinets / Chests

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Im looking to get a tool chest to help organize my garage. I currently have 2 large tool boxes that are just full or screws, bolts, saw blades, screw drivers, etc and aren't fun to dig around in looking for the tool I need. I went shopping today and was surprised at the cost of tool Cabinets. Most were in the $300 - $600 range with the cheapest I found being $200 and felt like aluminum foil. I could buy a gun safe to store my tools in cheaper than these things.

Are they always this expensive or is this COVID pricing? At this price the tool chest will cost more than the tools I'm storing. Are there any decent priced ones out there to look at? I've checked Lowe's, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, and Tractor Supply and they all have relatively the same prices.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
should have looked at the good ones first.😄
They are not cheap.
suggest craigslist or marketplace if you have fb.
harbor freight is probably your cheapest route for a new chest.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
might be better off looking on the used market and also looking for alternatives. I have a bench made out of old chemistry cabinets, filing cabinets can usually be had for cheap if not free.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
seeing your in Fayetteville. There is someone selling what looks to be everything out of a school in the Kinston area on craigslist. all kinds of cabinets and such that would be great for what you are looking for. Been posting constantly for some time now.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
If you think those were high, you certainly don’t wanna know what a good one costs…

Oh I saw some going upwards of $4k. I was just saying that most of the ones I saw in these stores seemed to fall within that $300-$500 range.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I use file cabinets. Last year I got 9 from my wife's school they were going to trash. Nothing wrong with them just had some in storage not being used.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oh I saw some going upwards of $4k. I was just saying that most of the ones I saw in these stores seemed to fall within that $300-$500 range.

$300 to $500 is cheap for a toolbox. $4k is now about average for entry level mechanics. Some sets can go 20k and up. I have Mac, Matco, Craftsman, another brand I can't think of the name right now and the last few boxes I've purchased new have been the ones from Harbor Freight. Those are not used daily so I can't verify any lifespan, but after having one set for over two years, all is still well and operating correctly. I actually like them and will not hesitate to get another set if needed.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You did not mention how big of a box you were looking at, but I would question the quality of a $300 chest of any size.. I don't need or have a "nice one" but I have a pretty good sized one that was more than your range. The older I get the more I understand that you get what you pay for... and I am too poor to buy cheap crap multiple times.