Too late to plant clover?

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
My clover finally showed up yesterday. Think it's too late to plant? I put out a ton of lime per acre per my soil report and disked it in yesterday. That area is sandy and dry unless it rains. I have another area that has the blackest soil I've seen, it's normally moist. Could plant down there too. Had a bumper crop of random food plot stuff a few years ago on it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You'll be fine planting clover now, just don't expect to see much until late Spring as far as growth. Clover stops growing leaf and starts growing roots once the seasons start changing in the Fall. I've planted red and white clovers with my grain crops as mother crops and it has always done well planted in the fall. You actually hit it about right, not too hot, not too cool...you ought to get good germination in the damp soil.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
So, I shouldn't plan on hunting it this year? What about chuffa planting time? I read it does well in sandy soil.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
You will have a better clover plot if you now as opposed to the spring. As Eric says, you get a better root system planting now and it will do better the following year. Also less chance of lack of rain planting early in the year.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I am planting chicory next few days....says on bag Sept 15 and forward. Durango clover is good to plant with chicory, do probably be good time to plant. Probably be putting down root system this fall, so better hunting over it next year.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I dont usually plant clover until Mid September, but Im sure now would be fine too.
Like said above dont expect a whole lot out of it until next spring.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Use a full measure of clover and no more than 50 pounds of oats or a shorter wheat per acre , no rye..it gets too darn tall.
Oats will be best but depending on where you are it may not last until the end of the season, you can mix with wheat but no more than a total of 50 pounds of grains per acre. Too much grain can shade out the clover especially in the Spring.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Too early for me. I like late sept early October. Like others I cover with wheat

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I planted some Ladino clover mixed with wheat Tuesday before the rain came also a small section of crimson clover. I think it should do well with some more rain if the turkey don't eat all the wheat. Had about a dozen in it about noon today.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My clover finally showed up yesterday. Think it's too late to plant? I put out a ton of lime per acre per my soil report and disked it in yesterday. That area is sandy and dry unless it rains. I have another area that has the blackest soil I've seen, it's normally moist. Could plant down there too. Had a bumper crop of random food plot stuff a few years ago on it.
If the soil is sandy you better wait till late September. Your in Harnett so yeah October would be better for you. I am planting my clover tomorrow at the Rock but I am in heavy clay and I will get a frost up there in 6 weeks.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Planted chicory on one plot today and oats on another plot...20 acres of soybeans between the plots. Sitting in a 35 foot tower blind on woodline...won't be long now.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I'm surrounded by tobacco and cotton this year. I'm trying to figure out my fertilizer requirements. Based on my soil tests and the area to be planted, I need 0-15 lb of N, 11 lb of P, and 33lb of K. Not sure what fertilizer to use. Haven't found a 0-1-3 or 1-1-3, which would be the closest ratios. Since I have a bit of time left before needing to plant, I suppose I can make more area available. Playing on the backhoe is fun!

timber

Twelve Pointer
I wouldnt worry to much about a special fertilizer blend. For one probably going be alot higher in cost. You use to could find a 3-9-18 or 5-10-10 in bags but havent seen any in a while. On a food plot doubt you see any difference going with a 10-10-10 or 13-13-13 rather than trying to go by exactly whats on the soil samples

caswelldeerhunter

Button Buck
Just use T17(more bang for your buck) and you’ll be just fine.
Just remember in a 50 lb bag of 17-17-17, it actually contains 8.5 lbs of each category, the rest is filler.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's water that's the determining factor for most Fall plots, regardless of what you're planting. It's always a coin toss whether a soft seed plot will do anything at all, hard seeds are a bit better at not germinating and dying from sporadic moisture.