Too late for squirrel?

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Went out today and spent a few hours. Didn’t see a thing.

I’ve only purposely hunted squirrel 1 other time and it was at the end of this deer season. Is it too late to hunt squirrel? I’m in Cumberland Co.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First thing in the morning and last thing in the evening right before dark right now is your best time for wild squirrels. They should pick up and be easier the last couple weeks of the season if the weather doesn't turn extremely cold.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Walking with 2 people is essential. Leap frogging every 100yds or so. A squirrel will move and stick to the other side of a tree way before you see it.
Hawk eyes
Private land is still good.
Game land. Like deer, better go deep.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
My dog denned one this evening with about 45 minutes of light left. We hunted from 3:30-6pm and that was the only movement. Last weekend it was the same ordeal. Last hour was busy. I hope we get mild temps the last couple weeks…

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I like foggy mornings this time of year and thick edges. I was able to scratch out a gameland limit a few foggy mornings ago picking through the laurel. I was there at first light and they moved good for about an hour and was able to find a few lay ups to finish them out once the fog broke

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
Yeah, I saw a bunch when I was down in Sanford a few days ago. The only time I didn't see em was when they left cause they got tired of getting shot at.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
First thing in the morning and last thing in the evening right before dark right now is your best time for wild squirrels. They should pick up and be easier the last couple weeks of the season if the weather doesn't turn extremely cold.

this.......i am seeing skirls run across the road at 7 am recently

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Jan is usually slow but get a warm spell like NC is prone for and you'll find em just don't go hunting wide open leafless hardwoods. curdog hit spot I like walking semi thick laurel hillsides full of red oaks in east just find your version of that sapling edges of old clear cut tend be decent to

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
Definitely not too late, got 6 from the past two days. Big ones too!

Squirrels mate twice a year. Late December through February is the winter squirrel rut. May to June is the spring one. Right now is a great time to hunt em. Just a matter of finding them.