Tomato thief

herman

Six Pointer
Going to have to cull some squirrels.
Have 4 tomato plants on my back porch and they have cleaned 3 of them so far.
Looked out the window this morning and there goes one with my biggest tomato.
they already cleaned out my apple and pear tree,soon as the chestnuts come in they will clean them too.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Same here...for some reason I can kill all the skirls in the woods but have trouble taking out the yard skirls. They are almost to the point of an invasion at my house, jumping onto the screens in the early AM if we don't have their corn and sunflower seeds out early enough for them. Chewing on the metal garbage cans that we keep the seed in to remind us that they are hungry....it's almost like they run the place... :)

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I'm having trouble with tomato stealing squirrels. I didn't have any issues several years ago. I think one developed a taste for the tomatoes and has passed down that knowledge to newer generations. No way to break the cycle.

hitman6397

Old Mossy Horns
I am having the same problem. We quit putting out bird seed because the squirrels were eating it all now they are cleaning out the garden.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't mind if they come to the feeder occasionally; it's cheap entertainment for the dog........

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had major problems here 3-4 years ago...did 2 things:

1) Emailed the WRC for clarification on "squirrel management" out of season.
Got their official written reply (email) stating it was OK to take them out.

2) Began taking them out.....requires relentless, year round attention...but they are no longer a major problem.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
It would be nice to take them out but difficult when living in a suburban neighborhood surrounded by neighbors.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
One word....Gamo

I can take them out with my crossbow. My concern was not so much the noise but the neighbors seeing me shooting a squirrel. Our houses are on 1/4-1/3 acre lots. There isn't a lot of room between houses. I don't know who may be spying on me from their 2nd floor window when I'm lining up a shot.

I can take them out with my crossbow. My concern was not so much the noise but the neighbors seeing me shooting a squirrel. Our houses are on 1/4-1/3 acre lots. There isn't a lot of room between houses. I don't know who may be spying on me from their 2nd floor window when I'm lining up a shot.
Open a window and shoot from indoors.