To much boat for my vehicle?

22Rimfire

Button Buck
I appreciate all the feedback. My third gen 4runner is now up for sale. Picked up a 4th gen with the V8 4.7 Friday. Really want a GX but I am very picky and don’t want a spot of rust on the frame. The 4Runner was local owned since new and is super clean. Timing couldn’t have been better.

Handled the boat and trailer no problem on Saturday. Kept it at or below the speed limit and plenty of distance between other vehicles in front of us. Zero issues. It’s AWD with 4 Low. Put it in 4 low at the ramp and had no issues putting the boat in or pulling it out of the water.

Plan is to dry dock it at Kerr next season or maybe the one after. Want to get familiar with towing/ launching and loading it before that.

b4e240fa60856f6b13777e8625e1b2ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
I Kept it at or below the speed limit and plenty of distance between other vehicles in front of us. Zero issues.

Nice ride... the quoted part above is something most people never learn.... even with the proper tow vehicle, you are still towing something and need to drive as such.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I've towed my Dad's boat which is roughly the same weight with a 4Runner. No issues on ramps. Stopping distance is of course something that increases but you just need to pay attention if your towing anything of weight.

double

Twelve Pointer
I appreciate all the feedback. My third gen 4runner is now up for sale. Picked up a 4th gen with the V8 4.7 Friday. Really want a GX but I am very picky and don’t want a spot of rust on the frame. The 4Runner was local owned since new and is super clean. Timing couldn’t have been better.

Handled the boat and trailer no problem on Saturday. Kept it at or below the speed limit and plenty of distance between other vehicles in front of us. Zero issues. It’s AWD with 4 Low. Put it in 4 low at the ramp and had no issues putting the boat in or pulling it out of the water.

Plan is to dry dock it at Kerr next season or maybe the one after. Want to get familiar with towing/ launching and loading it before that.

b4e240fa60856f6b13777e8625e1b2ea.jpg

Is the tow rating any higher on the v8 than the v6? Lots of times its not the power you run out of it is weight and brakes. I would assume that you will have the same issue with that vehicle as the last.

22Rimfire

Button Buck
Is the tow rating any higher on the v8 than the v6? Lots of times its not the power you run out of it is weight and brakes. I would assume that you will have the same issue with that vehicle as the last.

6500 lbs

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What is the scale weight loaded like you would for just the SUV?
You max towing may go up. That may not cover the GVWR.
Bet the new truck has a higher weight then the old being v8 and they are little bigger if I recall with more extras that add weight.

The wheel base is a big thing for towing along with tongue weight.
Only way to know if you are legal or safe is to load it up. Full gear, people, fuel in SUV and boat along with coolers and toys then hit the scale.

That is the tell all.

Think about all the rain we have been having... drive in that even with plug out may add 200 to 300 lbs easy and fast. Make sure you keep the front high enough to let all water drain as fast as it can to prevent added weight from water.

Last edited: