To much boat for my vehicle?

22Rimfire

Button Buck
Hi all. Pretty sure this is one of my first posts here. I purchased a clean 2001 Chaparral 196SSi with the 5.0 this past weekend. Very well maintained and only used on lakes. 531 hours. My question is this. I have a 99 Toyota 4Runner with the 3.4 V6, 4x4 and a manual. Vehicles weights 3400 lbs. Max tow rating is 5000 lbs. I have trailered and launched my buddy’s 16 ft center console a handful of times and no issues. That boat is 1700 lbs though vs this one being about 4600 with fuel, trailer and boat. Trailer does have surge brakes that work well. Seemed to stop better towing this boat than my little utility trailer does (5.5x10) that doesn’t have brakes.
7d7ddbe4df6bb18e6d7b4e0596a91699.jpg

I am concerned about two things, one getting pulled into the water/sliding in and two being able to pull this boat out of the water. I think in 4 low I will be ok.

I have wheel chocks for the front and rear tire and obviously will use my e-brake and put it in first gear when I unload.

Do I need to upgrade to something heavier ASAP to launch this boat? I towed it home 70 miles and had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Those are fun runabouts, congrads on the purchase. Your SUV should be ok to tow on flat ground but will struggle on long trips and on hills, I'd stick with paved boat ramps for sure and not any with steep ramps.
I's not about the horsepower, but the gearing and the rear end that will make or break your ability to use the SUV.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice looking boat! You know you're in a gray area there. If you are approaching the max tow rating, then you need to upgrade.

I would say short term - you're ok to tow it. Long term - be looking for a new tow vehicle in the 150/1500 class. It's not a good feeling to always be wondering if your vehicle is going to fail.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sounds like you are trying to justify a new vehicle to the wife.;) You will probably be ok for "local" use on paved ramps. If you are going to be hauling it much distance for use, it might be pretty rough on the engine and transmission. An upgrade in vehicle might be in order for that.

Reactions: DRS

30/06

Twelve Pointer
What everybody else has said holds true, you'll be fine on relatively flat ground. Locally it should be OK, wouldn't be towing through the mountains or very far. You are going to rag out that poor little 4runner though, a 1/2 ton PU or better yet a 3/4 ton would make the job much easier. Keep the breaks in good working order and don't get in a hurry.

I had a 7000+ lb hydra sport vector for a few years that we towed with a tahoe. Did fine down at the coast, pretty flat. Used ramps that were big and smaller slope. Ended up getting a chevy 2500 and it did much better but even it would struggle to get traction on wet, steep ramps.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I use to pull our wakesetter 21 Vlx with my 2010 Tacoma. It had the same 5000 lb tow rating your 4Runner does. Boat weighed 4000lb dry. Probably close to 6000lb with trailer and gear. I have never had any issues. Spend your money on gas for the boat, unless you just want something else. Have fun!

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Check the ramps at the lakes you plan to venture. I have seen some ramps that have gentle slopes and go to another ramp on the same lake and it looks like you are looking straight up into the sky. Those ramps will be tough for you.

You can always tow it to the lake, unhook, find someone that will unhook his trailer, hook up yours, launch you, switch trailers back....repeat process when ready to go home. Do not be the last one coming out at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Not worth the risk.

The big problem is will you be able to stop and control it.

Stop as in traffic runnintmg 55 to 70 mph and something happens. Can you stop, maintain lane control and everyone safe inside?

And on the other side having enough weight from the tow rig to control and stop it going down the ramp? Seen a many trucks and SUV pulled into the water.
All having to do with enough weight, breaking strength to stop and control it.
Being you are backing down a ramp those trailer brakes do not work.
You will have weight on the back of the tow rig making the front brakes less effective.
That said your control and steering will go away.

As for getting up the ramp that is easy, if you cant, tow truck or someone there may help.
Blocking the ramp for that length of time also causes a lot of problems.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Also note you need to check your GVWR abd CGVWR.
You will find sometimes you would still be legal with you only in the tow rig, add three friends and gear you may be over.

What I read
GVWR is 5250
GCVWR is 9200

So VW at 3400 and TW at 4600 leaves you at 8000.
The question is did that 3400 weight come from a scale or door?
Need to weight that with the load you want in it as in coolers, people and so on.

Few web sites show dry curb weight for them at 3800lb 3710 to 3885
Add fuel say 140 lb you are at close to 4000, then add people.

Last edited:

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Too risky for me.......the ramp part is doable but the control/braking in traffic would scare me.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I agree with everyone else. Flat ground, paved ramps no problems. I would be careful of top speed while towing. Maybe 55 mph or less!

Or like soilman said. Be a good talking point to the wife for a newer pickup or bigger SUV!

nckeith

Ten Pointer
That weight listed of 4600 is really close. Add in coolers, ice, beer, tubes, fishing gear and you’ll be way over. 99 4runners are reliable but it’s an20 year old vehicle with a clutch. If you tow often, it will be worn out quickly.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Id say you are right on the cusp of needing more tow vehicle. If you have a short trip to the ramp and dont need to get on an interstate or beltway, you can probably make do with what ya got for short trips...but it dang sure aint ideal.
I've towed my 5k boat 1.5 miles to the ramp with that exact model 4runner in a pinch. It aint exactly confidence inspiring compared to dragging it with a 3/4 ton. If you ever got in a panic stop situation the tail is gonna be wagging the dog so to speak.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I would be more on the side of, yes....you absolutely need a truck w/ more arse to comfortably tow that boat.

I am on the fence myself about going from my 1500 Suburban to a 2500 HD truck because I know I won't feel my 20' SeaCraft behind the 2500. My Suburban pulls it fine....I just know it's back there, and I don't like it.

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
" To much boat for my vehicle? " Yes
If your close to the lake you'll use and won't be towing often then you'll be ok " not good but ok " provided you drive cautiously , slower and keeping plenty of stopping distance between you and cars in front of you . Slowing down when approaching intersections and assume the lights will catch you even when you think they won't.
Having the trailer brakes will make a big difference but will also add a false security .

22Rimfire

Button Buck
Ok I just gotta ask. Did you not put a lot of thought into this BEFORE you bought the boat.

Thanks for all the responses. Thought I might be able to do it but have been looking at GXs for a while. Was planning on upgrading already

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
I personally would not put any of my 3rd gen 4runners (have 3 in the household) under that much of a load. Don't forget to add in coolers, gear and vehicle passengers to the weight.

I am sure you already know that 3rd gen ball joints are subject to catastrophic failure if they are not replaced at least every 200k miles. I have also replaced my radiators prior to problems. The temp gauge will move in the danger zone around 220 degrees too late. A new t stat should be put in with the jiggle valve at 6 o'clock. That will allow a 10 -15 degree lower operating temp.o

The rule is never to allow the trailer to control the vehicle. The vehicle controls the trailer and I think you will find yourself in a sticky situation at some time or another.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
I had no problem pulling a 19' stingray with a 2002 tacoma, same engine, with auto, and it was 2WD. Was fortunate to use low-grade paved ramps.

double

Twelve Pointer
You will be fine. Max tow ratings are low to keep the manufacturer safe as are payload ratings. Who here has not far exceeded the payload rating on their truck hauling corn? Being at the max means you are using your vehicle as intended.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You will be fine. Max tow ratings are low to keep the manufacturer safe as are payload ratings. Who here has not far exceeded the payload rating on their truck hauling corn? Being at the max means you are using your vehicle as intended.

I think you are the only one that feels that way.....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Payloads and tow ratings are apples and oranges. I've seen an old farmer far exceed his 1980's F150's tow rating to pull a big tractor on a heavy equipment trailer a few miles. He was going slow on level ground with hazards on, and he wasn't going far. Most recreational boaters travel on interstates going high speed and use angled, wet ramps on every use.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
And the farmer for the most part is not placing the family, young kids and friends at risk for the most part.

Really it comes down to how much you value the people and pets along with what you are towing..

If you dont care much about them I could see it being done. Those that care, use the correct SUV or Truck to be safer.

Last edited:

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I commented earlier on this and am in the vast minority in my opinion, but feel some background and facts are in order.

I tow between 15,000 and 20,000 lbs on a regular basis and have done so for the last 15 years. I make a good part of my living doing it. My experience has taught me that GVRW ratings are wonderful guidelines that will keep you safe and should be observed. You are not exceeding your vehicles tow rating, your trailer has working and adequate brakes, and I assume you observe the posted speed limits and keep a safe distance between yourself and other vehicles. If this is so, then the answer to your question is absolutely and unequivocally no, you do not have too much boat for your vehicle. Now.... if you want one, I say life is short, knock yourself out. But it won’t be because you need it to get you and yours safely to and from the lake.

Be safe and have fun with your new boat.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I commented earlier on this and am in the vast minority in my opinion, but feel some background and facts are in order.

I tow between 15,000 and 20,000 lbs on a regular basis and have done so for the last 15 years. I make a good part of my living doing it. My experience has taught me that GVRW ratings are wonderful guidelines that will keep you safe and should be observed. You are not exceeding your vehicles tow rating, your trailer has working and adequate brakes, and I assume you observe the posted speed limits and keep a safe distance between yourself and other vehicles. If this is so, then the answer to your question is absolutely and unequivocally no, you do not have too much boat for your vehicle. Now.... if you want one, I say life is short, knock yourself out. But it won’t be because you need it to get you and yours safely to and from the lake.

Be safe and have fun with your new boat.

Pardon me, GVWR ratings*