Tis the season...mushroom hunting

Jammer

Six Pointer
I found two nice bunches of oysters the day before Christmas while following the blood trail of a doe I had shot. They made for a nice backstraps in mushroom gravy dinner that evening. I kept part of one and I'm cloning it in a couple of petri dishes. Hopefully I'll be able to inoculate some sweet gum logs in about a month.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Found the identity of the mushroom. Lion's mane. Guess I should have looked first. Lol

Sorry were you speaking to me on this...? If you have a question I'm always willing to help out just put the @ symbol and type thelivecanary and it'll shoot me an email letting me know that I've been added to a thread or message. I got a message on facebook through my podcast site and I helped a local guy here in Raleigh ID three mushroom types over the weekend. It felt good knowing that the info is getting into the hands of those that are interested in getting outdoors and learning. I always have time for people that are curious and seeking knowledge. Cheers everyone, and Happy New Year.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Top, no idea, but bottom looks like some oysters past their prime. Would really need to see underside to check for decurrent gills. Check for an anise like or fishy smell, so the common advice goes. To me, they really smell like neither of those, but once you get the oyster smell in your brain, they should smell exactly like oyster mushrooms, if that makes sense.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry were you speaking to me on this...? If you have a question I'm always willing to help out just put the @ symbol and type thelivecanary and it'll shoot me an email letting me know that I've been added to a thread or message. I got a message on facebook through my podcast site and I helped a local guy here in Raleigh ID three mushroom types over the weekend. It felt good knowing that the info is getting into the hands of those that are interested in getting outdoors and learning. I always have time for people that are curious and seeking knowledge. Cheers everyone, and Happy New Year.

Thanks! I do have interest in mushroom hunting and have been reading some lately as well as watching a few videos. Also joined the Charlotte "mushroom group" on Facebook. Possible source for identification of mushrooms. Certainly am going to research more cause I absolutely positively want to be extremely safe!!!

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Top, no idea, but bottom looks like some oysters past their prime. Would really need to see underside to check for decurrent gills. Check for an anise like or fishy smell, so the common advice goes. To me, they really smell like neither of those, but once you get the oyster smell in your brain, they should smell exactly like oyster mushrooms, if that makes sense.

Saw in a video the oysters that only grow on pines are not a desirable type of oyster. Don't think they are toxic, though. Does this sound correct?

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Saw in a video the oysters that only grow on pines are not a desirable type of oyster. Don't think they are toxic, though. Does this sound correct?

Never seen an oyster on a pine, though there is something called an angel wing that can grow on pine that looks similar and is iffy on being edible. I wouldn't chance it.

wl704

Ten Pointer
Found a good sized Lion's mane a week ago.
8061667b6ea05f48af7dab9f30269674.jpg

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
This is what a herecium, Lion's Mane, mushroom looks like on the inside. Pretty sweet and also delicious. I prefer oyster and morels and even chanterelle for flavor but none have the texture of a lion's mane.

Attachments

• IMG_20190102_211019_618.jpg
    IMG_20190102_211019_618.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 19

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
ab759ef0f80acec367eba59df1e63a50.jpg

What’s this? Thought it was an animal from afar. This was taken thanksgiving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk