Tis the season...mushroom hunting

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
If you are into hunting mushrooms now is the time to get out there and get some fall wood cultivars. Specifically on wood, you'll be looking for oyster mushrooms, wood ears, lion's mane and a few others. The ground shrooms you'll be likely to find are boletes, chantrelle (orange image attached), hedgehogs and many others. As always, take some one who's knowledgeable or join a group because you can really add some great food to your venison or duck meals. It pays to be a well rounded "hunter". Cheers all.

Attachments

• IMG_20181118_144658.jpg
    IMG_20181118_144658.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20181118_143020.jpg
    IMG_20181118_143020.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 110

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
If I can get rid of some of these leaves and my back holds out the wife and I are going to check on those oysters and where that last chicken was. Maybe spot a coral too. But yes, I know, no LBMs.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
If I can get rid of some of these leaves and my back holds out the wife and I are going to check on those oysters and where that last chicken was. Maybe spot a coral too. But yes, I know, no LBMs.

For those that don't know what LBM's are, they are Little Brown Mushrooms and there are a bunch of different kinds and potency in terms of your reaction to eating them. Unless you are a certain what you are picking DO NOT eat any mushrooms you find walking in the woods. That said, there are tons of short cuts to keep you safe out there so don't be afraid there's really good eating available to you if you do your homework or better yet walk with those that know. Cheers.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Buddy of mine is on a lease with me. He spends more time hunting shrooms than deer. I send him pics of deer he sends me pics of shrooms. Hes had a good season. I love them just havent taken the time to learn about them

Jaybird

Twelve Pointer
I found a nice lions mane out on gamelands yesterday. I’ve found a ton of them while scanning the woods looking for deer. Climb down at the end of the day and harvest it.

Shot a deer and harvested some oyster mushrooms in the same trip a couple years ago. Always nice when you can get two ingredients for dinner and never head to the grocery store.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Wish I could find a lion's maen. Finally finished the leaves and going to ride over to a spot that had some oysters a couple of weeks ago and see if there are any more.

Jaybird

Twelve Pointer
Once you find remember the spot and the time. I amazed my buddy because I told him where I’d find one and then walked right to it. Probably taken 20 lbs off the same tree during deer season over the last 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Is this a chicken of the woods?

2f1bac870defbdd54fe38711bc190554.jpg

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I do a lot of mushroom hunting in August-Sept and maybe a little in early October, but by now here in the mountains, they are long gone (the good edible ones anyhow). Not much better than a big cast iron skillet, some olive oil, sliced onions, bell peppers and sliced chicken of the woods! A meal fit for a king!

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Banjo, is there an old tree root or stump under those leaves in the picture? COTW grows on wood, not on dirt like some others.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
2 prime lion's man, two chickens , and about 5 lbs of oysters (one stump) have come home with me since late bow season til now. Tore up the chants this summer. Found quite a few hedgehogs and a black staining polypore, but would like to study them a little more before committing to eating them. Been of the lookout for shrimp of the woods and hen of the woods, but nada.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No sir, it was growing in the dirt.
It could very well be chanterelle mushrooms. They are delicious and are fairly easily identified by continuous "gills" underneath and not regular fine gills that stop at the "stem" like commonly seen on mushrooms.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I wish I knew more on mushroom hunting, I see soooooo many while hunting but don’t know enough to even consider eating one

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I was like you Travis. thelivecarany came up one day and walked and schooled me a little. Now I can identify a grand total of 3 mushrooms that I can eat and feel comfortable about them. Had some oysters for supper last night. Not a bounty, but enough for a taste and the knowledge that I got them on my own.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I wish I knew more on mushroom hunting, I see soooooo many while hunting but don’t know enough to even consider eating one

A walk in the woods with someone in the know and like @lasttombstone said, there's some that you can learn quick and enjoy nearly year round, especially the Oyster Mushroom. Oysters are easy to identify and really fine table fare.

I try to add one new mushroom every year to my own library, be it edible or not.

Wish I could find a lion's maen. Finally finished the leaves and going to ride over to a spot that had some oysters a couple of weeks ago and see if there are any more.
I was searching for a rumored native american artifact site about a month ago when I found this Lion's mane on a stump. Ended up in a reduction sauce with steak. Delicious on its own as well. Unfortunately, I didnt have venison at the time.

Attachments

• 20181023_162000.jpg
    20181023_162000.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20181024_003143.jpg
    20181024_003143.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 60

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I was searching for a rumored native american artifact site about a month ago when I found this Lion's mane on a stump. Ended up in a reduction sauce with steak. Delicious on its own as well. Unfortunately, I didnt have venison at the time.

Had no idea of the type of fungus I pulled off the hollow inside of a freshly cut tree. Guy asked me what it was. Then he said there was more farther inside the log. Looked just like the one in the photo. Knew it was mushroom of some sort. Been wanting to learn how to identify the edibles. I'll see if I can get some pics tomorrow.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I was stomping around the woods looking for Lion's Mane just like that in the photo, this weekend. No lion's mane but I did find a beauty of an oyster mushroom on a downed elm. It's bigger than my hand so it'll be hitting the grill tonight and I'll be eating oyster burgers. I love that people are getting into mushroom foraging. It's a great way to add a taste of the woods to your meal planning. Keep up the good work - Cheers. I'll try and get some photos posted tonight.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Wasn't really looking, thanks to this thread I noticed it while in the woods. Have read the health benefits of them so that's what got me the most intrigued

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Wasn't really looking, thanks to this thread I noticed it while in the woods. Have read the health benefits of them so that's what got me the most intrigued

Yes, herecium mushrooms have been studied for their aid in reversing alhzeimers, and yes you read that correctly....reversing the affects of Alzheimer's. More research is needed but the majority of studies point in that direction. Really cool mushrooms and really tasty. As always be careful and go with someone who knows.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Y'all ever find Morels come spring time in NC?

I remember what a big deal that was in the Midwest. A Father might let his son take his brand new truck to tow his brand new Bass Boat on spring break, but wouldn't share the mushroom spots.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Y'all ever find Morels come spring time in NC?

I remember what a big deal that was in the Midwest. A Father might let his son take his brand new truck to tow his brand new Bass Boat on spring break, but wouldn't share the mushroom spots.
I've found a few in NC, but I've found a LOT more out west.